Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7th Annual Black Hills Sound of Silence Tesla Rally! May 15—17, 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also planning to attend and staying at the Bavarian.
My dream route to Custer this year - but unlikely given the time I'll probably have available.

upload_2020-3-7_17-34-25.png

I know, right? You can wander around Seattle all day long and hardly encounter another human being.
Huh?

It's a different world than a couple weeks ago, but this statement definitely isn't true.

Also, they currently don't know if you can contract the virus a 2nd time in a few weeks, or a few months, or not at all. But it would certainly take at least a few weeks to get it again.

Here is my first try at the route there and back.
3,533 miles
64 hours total, including 8:22 charging
I am a little concerned about weather through high altitudes in Wyoming, Montana, and Washington. Any thoughts from the NW experts on travel in May for this route? Thanks

View attachment 518131
You are unlikely to encounter any significant winter weather on this route in May. There's a reason they put the interstates where they did. Custer is actually probably the most likely place where you would see winter weather at that time. Rawlins and Butte are the highest elevation stops, so there's a chance there too. But even if you see a few flurries, it's unlikely to hinder travel. Basically no chance in WA as you aren't going through a mountain pass at all.

Also, there is the potential for a heat wave and temps in the 80s. May is just a volatile time of year for weather in these parts.

I'm hoping this event happens, but I'm fairly skeptical. I had 3 road trips planned for March-May, the first one got cut short due to coronavirus, the 2nd one got cancelled entirely (NCAA tournament road trip), and the last one is Custer. Even if Custer gets cancelled, I might go and drive the Transcanada just for fun (and superchargers!), but even there I am starting to worry about restrictions on border crossings. I'm not sure I could convince them that the supercharger game should qualify as "necessary travel" :D

Anyways, if we do do the Custer thing, we should make some adjustments. I'm definitely not a fan of the buffet style dinners in this climate. I don't mind paying more for individual orders. Also, weather permitting, we could try to do some of the meet-ups outside rather than inside. I have a hunch we will get luckier with the weather this year.

Reactions: Big Earl
I'm hoping this event happens, but I'm fairly skeptical. I had 3 road trips planned for March-May, the first one got cut short due to coronavirus, the 2nd one got cancelled entirely (NCAA tournament road trip), and the last one is Custer. Even if Custer gets cancelled, I might go and drive the Transcanada just for fun (and superchargers!), but even there I am starting to worry about restrictions on border crossings. I'm not sure I could convince them that the supercharger game should qualify as "necessary travel" :D

Anyways, if we do do the Custer thing, we should make some adjustments. I'm definitely not a fan of the buffet style dinners in this climate. I don't mind paying more for individual orders. Also, weather permitting, we could try to do some of the meet-ups outside rather than inside. I have a hunch we will get luckier with the weather this year.
I'm thinking the same thing about Custer at this point - probably 50/50 that it happens. Without the event itself, it opens up 2-3 days of additional driving time for supercharging stops and you can't beat the social space of driving solo (other than necessary stops along the way that is).

You are unlikely to encounter any significant winter weather on this route in May. There's a reason they put the interstates where they did. Custer is actually probably the most likely place where you would see winter weather at that time. Rawlins and Butte are the highest elevation stops, so there's a chance there too. But even if you see a few flurries, it's unlikely to hinder travel. Basically no chance in WA as you aren't going through a mountain pass at all.

Also, there is the potential for a heat wave and temps in the 80s. May is just a volatile time of year for weather in these parts.
Thanks PlusEV, good to hear. I hope the rally happens, but fear it will be canceled. Can we keep it under 200?
With so many events and offices closed, this could open up more free time for supercharging trips.

Huh?

It's a different world than a couple weeks ago, but this statement definitely isn't true.

Also, they currently don't know if you can contract the virus a 2nd time in a few weeks, or a few months, or not at all. But it would certainly take at least a few weeks to get it again.

Riiiiiiiiight, we call that sarcasm in the business. And no, there are no proven cases of reinfection. An event astronomically unlikely. No known virus can mutate that quickly. Once you recover you have immunity to that strain. To be reinfected the virus would have to mutate into a new unique strain. There may well be cases of subsequent infections with influenza, a very different occurrence. This is my day job.........

Last edited:
Riiiiiiiiight, we call that sarcasm in the business. And no, there are no proven cases of reinfection. An event astronomically unlikely. No known virus can mutate that quickly. Once you recover you have immunity to that strain. To be reinfected the virus would have to mutate into a new unique strain. There may well be cases of subsequent infections with influenza, a very different occurrence. This is my day job.........
Not sure why you are trying to big-time me, but I never said there were any known cases of re-infection. That was a straw man you created.

Not sure why you are trying to big-time me, but I never said there were any known cases of re-infection. That was a straw man you created.

I have no idea what to "big-time someone" means or why you might think I'm disputing anything you personally said. I'm not. I'm simply explaining my absurd statement about Seattle and why being literally true is not the issue with that statement but rather satire as well as why the rumor of reinfection is just that, a rumor, exceedingly unlikely to be true. That because you said, "they currently don't know if you can contract the virus a 2nd time in a few weeks, or a few months, or not at all". Meaning yet again the concept was proposed of reinfection in short order as a real possibility. Any they worth their salt would know that is not a likely occurrence. Is it impossible and do we have evidence with this particular viral strain to state that as proven fact? No, but in this context, it is worth repeating and clarifying how very unlikely that is. Has nothing to do with you personally and there ain't no straw man even on the distant horizon.

Last edited:
I guess we will be there again this year. This will be number seven for us. We have been to all of them, so far. Tell me, are the multiple supercharger game participants going to be there this year? I see several of them will (maybe) be there, (above posts). We have our hazmat suits and respirators all ready. I'll check out our MX's biodefense mode. Make sure it is working. Sheesh... Mac

Reactions: Tdreamer
I guess we will be there again this year. This will be number seven for us. We have been to all of them, so far. Tell me, are the multiple supercharger game participants going to be there this year? I see several of them will (maybe) be there, (above posts). We have our hazmat suits and respirators all ready. I'll check out our MX's biodefense mode. Make sure it is working. Sheesh... Mac
I don't think we have a complete picture of current top-10 attendance. And the definition of top-10 could change for some depending on route taken to Custer :)

Reactions: Big Earl and DavidB
For those who do not know, PlusEV is the top crazy. They probably ought to LOCK UP him in Seattle. Tdreamer is WISHING he were in the top 10. Maybe he will make a huge run at the top? Maybe quit his job? Stranger stuff has happened. I am just an outside observer, shaking my head.... Mac
I was planning on arriving in Custer with 1,000 superchargers under my belt, but now it all seems unlikely. One other hurdle for that to be possible would be the ability to travel freely between the US and Canada. I can't get to 1,000 without the new superchargers on the TransCanada Highway.

I was planning on arriving in Custer with 1,000 superchargers under my belt, but now it all seems unlikely. One other hurdle for that to be possible would be the ability to travel freely between the US and Canada. I can't get to 1,000 without the new superchargers on the TransCanada Highway.
At least for now, that impressive goal seems attainable - but closing the Canadian border would definitely complicate things. I hope the border remains open for all that aspire to drive the TCH this spring, as it looks like a fun trip irrespective of the supercharger count along the way.

Reactions: PLUS EV