Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's reply to Tunein and Favorites:

The Streaming tab is typically where you will need to enter credentials or where they are usually populated. The TuneIn account streams automatically or you can set up a personal account online to sign in. As for the TuneIn, we are aware there are issues when attempting to listen to the stations, it is something we are aware of and are currently working on to resolve it. We thank you for your patience.

In order to view your media favorites, swipe down on the Media window of the track that is displayed on your touchscreen. Once doing so, you will have the options to view your Favorites, Genres and Top Stations.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
For non-AP cars, the biggest missing feature for 8.0 may be an "uninstall" button.

First, some good news - after 3 years, it appears the USB "resume from sleep" bug has been fixed. This morning, the USB media player was on the same song that was playing yesterday - and the media player didn't run overnight or begin playing when I opened the door. Not sure if that fixes the audiobook problems though, if the media player is retaining the current position in the file when resuming from overnight or after switching between media sources.

While there are a few nice improvements (overheat protection, passenger able to use console without a driver, homelink bell), overall the user interface is much less usable in 8.0.

It appears the interface is designed assuming the media player is displayed continuously on the bottom half of the display. That would explain why media select was taken away from the right scroll wheel and the navigation map has auto-hide, expand the map to use up more of the top of the screen.

However, because the media player window actually has so little information, I typically have it displayed on the dashboard and had the center console with the full map display. And when it is showing the full map - you really don't need to auto-hide the top. With a 17" display, do we really need that extra space on the map???

Overall the new user interface for the media player and navigation have less functionality and require more screen interaction (which increases driver distraction to use navigation and media player).

The navigation software has lost a number of features:
  • Doesn't appear to display charging stations on the console map (used to have the ability to turn that on and off); now they are only displayed when the nearby charger list is displayed (instead of all of the time)
  • Lost the ability to list all of the superchargers, destination chargers and previous chargers - now we get a shorter list that only shows the nearby chargers
  • Lost the ability to edit the list of previous destinations/charging locations
  • Requires an extra touch on the screen to bring back the menu/status bar at the top or display the satellite/traffic/charging controls
The media player has also lost features:
  • First letter quick scroll; navigating a long list is now much more time consuming, requiring considerably more screen interactions
  • Radio has lost the horizontal radio bar, eliminating the ability to quickly scroll through the radio channels
  • Appears USB loses the setting for "random" music playback when another media source is selected; without playlists, I have created a favorites USB stick and instead of playing the music alphabetically, I always listen to that USB with random mode
In addition to the lost functionality above, causing more screen interactions (which is a driver distraction), the interface has other issues:
  • In some lighting conditions (such as sunlight with sunglasses), the light gray text used for some of the user interface is hard to see, and the same is true for the traffic lines when displayed ontop of a satellite map
  • the status bar is difficult to read when hidden (passenger may have to unhide the status bar to get the time)
Plus, after using the 8.0 software for only a few hours yesterday, the touchscreen spontaneously rebooted while the car was in motion.

It's really surprising that a company located in Silicon Valley is having such challenges designing a user interface. If this was version 1.0, it would have been understandable the interface had some rough spots. For those of us with the early production cars, we have been surprisingly tolerant of the quality and basic functionality missing in the software.

But this is 8.0 - by now, shouldn't Tesla be able to get this closer to being right - on the first try?

Since there are likely going to be quite a few drivers disappointed with the UI changes, and this was evidently not caught during Tesla's beta testing - then Tesla should consider adding more beta testers - possibly going to a more open beta testing process, allowing owners to "opt in" or "opt out" - giving them more feedback from a broader range of owners, before software is released.

While we have a Model 3 reserved, we will likely take a very close look at a Bolt in a few months. And I expect the user interface will not suffer usability issues like the above, will have the missing basic functionality (playlists, waypoints, route customization, ...), and will not crash.

Got it. My folder structure is \music\artist\album so I am able to select the artist and album I want following that path. Yeah there's no alpha selector but I can easily find what I want without a lot of effort. I have 7040 songs, 248 GB. Don't know how many folders but it's a lot.

Unfortunately when browsing by folder view (I have 220GB, 5500 songs) I find the songs are neither presented nor played in order. I *do* have the track number at the start of the filename, and I *do* have correct track number tags in all my files.

So for me, there is *no* way to browse down through artist to an album and play it in order. It's idiocy -- someone was clearly allowed to play with the UI with no accountability whatsoever for breaking existing functionality. Regression test much? Yes, human factors people regression test too -- if they're competent, anyway.

Reactions: Drucifer
Unfortunately when browsing by folder view (I have 220GB, 5500 songs) I find the songs are neither presented nor played in order. I *do* have the track number at the start of the filename, and I *do* have correct track number tags in all my files.

So for me, there is *no* way to browse down through artist to an album and play it in order. It's idiocy -- someone was clearly allowed to play with the UI with no accountability whatsoever for breaking existing functionality. Regression test much? Yes, human factors people regression test too -- if they're competent, anyway.
I didn't check to see if the songs were in order. Doesn't sound like a difficult thing to fix.

Just curious: does anyone who's gotten 8.0 actually like the new "modern" media player?

I love it. Way more intuitive and way better user interface. I hated the previous one. Especially when switching inputs. Way better IMHO. To each their own I guess.

I love all the updates on 8.0. Granted, I have never used the USB interface or Tune In. Those bugs do seem like they would be annoying but for me it's a non issue. Keep the updates coming Tesla. I absolutely love this feature of the car.

While we have a Model 3 reserved, we will likely take a very close look at a Bolt in a few months. And I expect the user interface will not suffer usability issues like the above, will have the missing basic functionality (playlists, waypoints, route customization, ...), and will not crash.

If Tesla's UI steers you towards a Bolt, more power to you. They claim to have OTA software updates, but don't be surprised if when you aren't happy with the Bolt's UI they ask you to buy the new model :)

On a related note, a bunch of my album art, but not all of it, is missing. I initially thought that perhaps the Tesla system was no longer going out to the net to find the art, but instead was actually reading it off the USB drive, and that perhaps the missing art was missing because it wasn't on the USB drive. But a very quick check proves that not to be the case. So...anyone have any idea what causes some album art to appear, and other albums to show nothing?

I'm seeing the same behavior. Related question: I only copied the mp3 files from my itunes library to my usb key, not the art cover folder. Do I need to copy that and if so, at what level? ie same level as the album directory or one level up? the puzzling part is that even w/o that folder being on my usb key, some albums do should the "art".

Also, some of the track won't play (it does pull the related info, ie song name, artist etc) even if they play just fine when using the USB key with my computer. I am going to remove and re-copy these specific files tonight to test it further but has anyone experienced that too?

For non-AP cars, the biggest missing feature for 8.0 may be an "uninstall" button.

First, some good news - after 3 years, it appears the USB "resume from sleep" bug has been fixed. This morning, the USB media player was on the same song that was playing yesterday - and the media player didn't run overnight or begin playing when I opened the door. Not sure if that fixes the audiobook problems though, if the media player is retaining the current position in the file when resuming from overnight or after switching between media sources.

While there are a few nice improvements (overheat protection, passenger able to use console without a driver, homelink bell), overall the user interface is much less usable in 8.0.

It appears the interface is designed assuming the media player is displayed continuously on the bottom half of the display. That would explain why media select was taken away from the right scroll wheel and the navigation map has auto-hide, expand the map to use up more of the top of the screen.

However, because the media player window actually has so little information, I typically have it displayed on the dashboard and had the center console with the full map display. And when it is showing the full map - you really don't need to auto-hide the top. With a 17" display, do we really need that extra space on the map???

Overall the new user interface for the media player and navigation have less functionality and require more screen interaction (which increases driver distraction to use navigation and media player).

The navigation software has lost a number of features:
  • Doesn't appear to display charging stations on the console map (used to have the ability to turn that on and off); now they are only displayed when the nearby charger list is displayed (instead of all of the time)
  • Lost the ability to list all of the superchargers, destination chargers and previous chargers - now we get a shorter list that only shows the nearby chargers
  • Lost the ability to edit the list of previous destinations/charging locations
  • Requires an extra touch on the screen to bring back the menu/status bar at the top or display the satellite/traffic/charging controls
The media player has also lost features:
  • First letter quick scroll; navigating a long list is now much more time consuming, requiring considerably more screen interactions
  • Radio has lost the horizontal radio bar, eliminating the ability to quickly scroll through the radio channels
  • Appears USB loses the setting for "random" music playback when another media source is selected; without playlists, I have created a favorites USB stick and instead of playing the music alphabetically, I always listen to that USB with random mode
In addition to the lost functionality above, causing more screen interactions (which is a driver distraction), the interface has other issues:
  • In some lighting conditions (such as sunlight with sunglasses), the light gray text used for some of the user interface is hard to see, and the same is true for the traffic lines when displayed ontop of a satellite map
  • the status bar is difficult to read when hidden (passenger may have to unhide the status bar to get the time)
Plus, after using the 8.0 software for only a few hours yesterday, the touchscreen spontaneously rebooted while the car was in motion.

It's really surprising that a company located in Silicon Valley is having such challenges designing a user interface. If this was version 1.0, it would have been understandable the interface had some rough spots. For those of us with the early production cars, we have been surprisingly tolerant of the quality and basic functionality missing in the software.

But this is 8.0 - by now, shouldn't Tesla be able to get this closer to being right - on the first try?

Since there are likely going to be quite a few drivers disappointed with the UI changes, and this was evidently not caught during Tesla's beta testing - then Tesla should consider adding more beta testers - possibly going to a more open beta testing process, allowing owners to "opt in" or "opt out" - giving them more feedback from a broader range of owners, before software is released.

This nicely capture the UI shortcomings and I agree 100%. Having said that, I tested the refined AP features this morning and IMHO it is a LOT smoother. There were part of my commute where I previously had to turn it all off because it was way to jerky and this morning things were much much smoother. The good news is that as more people have the same experience, the fleet learning will only accelerate and make things better, faster. Overall, 8.0 is a significant improvement overall for my driving style.

Now, don't get me started on the media "player"...

Reactions: Drucifer
Tesla's reply to Tunein and Favorites:

The Streaming tab is typically where you will need to enter credentials or where they are usually populated. The TuneIn account streams automatically or you can set up a personal account online to sign in. As for the TuneIn, we are aware there are issues when attempting to listen to the stations, it is something we are aware of and are currently working on to resolve it. We thank you for your patience.

In order to view your media favorites, swipe down on the Media window of the track that is displayed on your touchscreen. Once doing so, you will have the options to view your Favorites, Genres and Top Stations.

Tunein stopped working after 8.0 for me as well. This advice from tesla solved the problem for me:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Technical Support. Your issue is likely something that would be resolved with a touchscreen reboot. I know you said you already attempted, but I would like to make sure you note step 2 which is important in streaming issues and step 4 is followed completely.

Please follow the steps outlined below to perform a reset / reboot of your vehicle’s touchscreen.

1. Place your vehicle in park at a safe location.

2. Unplug any USB Devices from the center console.

3. Place your foot on the brake pedal and hold it down for the duration of the reboot.

4. Press and hold both the left and right scrolling wheel buttons on the steering wheel for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until you see the touchscreen illuminates and displays the Tesla logo in the center.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and JPUConn
I can see the potential hazard in the prior implementation. But the fix is really stupid, and is a BIG step backwards in autonomy.
The fix should have been to simply inhibit automatic acceleration of the car without specific manual input ONLY when A/P is disengaged and TACC is not. Instead they chose to inhibit automatic acceleration at all times without specific manual input. Maybe the new functionality was easier to code, but it certainly wasn't the best option.

At this point the only thing I see in 8.0 that's an improvement are the cabin overtemp protection and smoother AP braking.

Oh, yeah. And Tunein doesn't work at all - it never loads.

Tunein stopped working after 8.0 for me as well. This advice from tesla solved the problem for me:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Technical Support. Your issue is likely something that would be resolved with a touchscreen reboot. I know you said you already attempted, but I would like to make sure you note step 2 which is important in streaming issues and step 4 is followed completely.

Please follow the steps outlined below to perform a reset / reboot of your vehicle’s touchscreen.

1. Place your vehicle in park at a safe location.

2. Unplug any USB Devices from the center console.

3. Place your foot on the brake pedal and hold it down for the duration of the reboot.

4. Press and hold both the left and right scrolling wheel buttons on the steering wheel for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until you see the touchscreen illuminates and displays the Tesla logo in the center.

I know it's a little thing...but shocked that the favorite buttons for XM don't have the name of of the channel? Seems like a big mistake.

Also the auto zooming map thing drives me nuts. When I'm just in normal map view and don't have a route loaded, I can't keep it zoomed out so I can see my whole drive. It goes out for 3 second and then zooms back in. There should be a way to turn this feature off.