Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
240 posts and not a single one on speculation as to what Easter Egg is going to be in this release....come on guys, I'm so disappointed. ;)

I feel like it should involve a new feature; the one we know is coming that seems to create the most drama is the AP disable.

So maybe if you have AP disabled on three trips in a row, the dash cluster plays an instructional video about using AP correctly in one of the side screens?

Elon and his team have been working their butts off to get an updated autopilot that would not have allowed the Josh Brown accident to take place. Their focus is well-placed. Further, the NHTSA is about to issue a whole bunch of guidelines for vehicles using autopilot-like features. Technology recalls are possible. Again, Tesla's focus is well-placed. I look forward to a better media player some day, I look forward to a suspension system that will automatically lower to normal as I enter my driveway so that I can consistently hit the tennis ball hanging on the string and park my Model S in the perfect spot in the garage, but for now I cool my heels and allow the team to concentrate on what saves lives and keeps people ordering Tesla vehicles.
We will have to wait a day or so to find out what they did for sure but they have continued to promise but not deliver these things since 7.0 and then again with 7.1. The 8.0 "leak" last month did it again. So the basic problem isn't whether AP is the most important thing, it's their continuing to overpromise and under deliver.

I've got an update this morn. I know everyone's getting a 7.1 patch, but I'm sure I'm different! :)

On a serious note, it's weird that it doesn't tell you what is in an update before you install it. On PCs, they tell you in advance even when it's mandatory.

Reactions: msnow
Have you tried the "Waze for Tesla" site?

Thanks, yes I have. However, to me, it seemed to just provide a map, centred on my current location, with triangle-symbols for all incidents nearby. Hard, at a glance, to see what might be on the current road and what is on adjacent roads / other carriageway; also what sort of incident it was - "car stopped on shoulder" is useful to know, but not critical if the road has a hard shoulder, whereas "police reported ahead" is ... ermmm ... quite often much more critical. I mean ... everyone in front of me might be slowing down suddenly, eh? :cool:

No rerouting if the route ahead is blocked / seriously delayed, and thus I've gone back to using Waze on my phone (far from ideal in the Tesla cockpit, short of sticking a hideous "mount" on the dashboard

Based on the release notes, it looks like the "major" changes in this release may be more of a coat of paint over the existing media player and navigation apps than the major improvements owners have been requesting.

The new media player interface looks nice, but it still appears to be missing playlists. And the new UI could be a step backward in navigating large media lists, if they've removed the first letter "quick scroll" feature. Hopefully they've (finally) fixed the resume-from-sleep bugs that we've long had in the media player - that causes USB media to be played overnight (losing position), losing radio presets, and often even forgetting it was even playing USB media in the first place. And, for those wanting to listen to audiobooks - it looks like we still have to use our mobile devices.

Improvements in the Trip Planner will be welcomed - but it appears we are still lacking waypoints, route customization, alternative routes, ... And it looks like we still have the "Frankenstein's monster" combination of Garmin software/map data, Tesla software and Google map data - which ends up with inconsistencies between the console and dashboard displays, and the navigation software using maps that are usually at least 2 years old. If 8.1 is going to have AP automatically use highway ramps - I don't have a lot of confidence using the out-of-date Garmin maps, especially in areas with recent construction.

And, it appears we still don't have the UI customization that was promised for Version 7.x - more control over the configuration of the dashboard display - something other vehicles have now.

The overheating and the ability to keep the console operating after the driver leaves - those are great features - but fall short of the major changes owners have been requesting - such as tighter smartphone integration (Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, or even the "screen mirroring" that Musk had previously mentioned) or a more competitive navigation system (so that owners don't use their smaller smartphones displays instead of the built in navigation).

Tesla doesn't have unlimited software resources, so it's understandable they have to carefully pick what features they add to each release. But, is 8.0 enough of an improvement to the non-AP software to satisfy current and prospective owners - who will soon begin seeing other options for purchasing a long range EV?

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Based on the release notes, it looks like the "major" changes in this release may be more of a coat of paint over the existing media player and navigation apps than the major improvements owners have been requesting.

The new media player interface looks nice, but it still appears to be missing playlists. And the new UI could be a step backward in navigating large media lists, if they've removed the first letter "quick scroll" feature. Hopefully they've (finally) fixed the resume-from-sleep bugs that we've long had in the media player - that causes USB media to be played overnight (losing position), losing radio presets, and often even forgetting it was even playing USB media in the first place. And, for those wanting to listen to audiobooks - it looks like we still have to use our mobile devices.

Improvements in the Trip Planner will be welcomed - but it appears we are still lacking waypoints, route customization, alternative routes, ... And it looks like we still have the "Frankenstein's monster" combination of Garmin software/map data, Tesla software and Google map data - which ends up with inconsistencies between the console and dashboard displays, and the navigation software using maps that are usually at least 2 years old. If 8.1 is going to have AP automatically use highway ramps - I don't have a lot of confidence using the out-of-date Garmin maps, especially in areas with recent construction.

And, it appears we still don't have the UI customization that was promised for Version 7.x - more control over the configuration of the dashboard display - something other vehicles have now.

The overheating and the ability to keep the console operating after the driver leaves - those are great features - but fall short of the major changes owners have been requesting - such as tighter smartphone integration (Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, or even the "screen mirroring" that Musk had previously mentioned) or a more competitive navigation system (so that owners don't use their smaller smartphones displays instead of the built in navigation).

Tesla doesn't have unlimited software resources, so it's understandable they have to carefully pick what features they add to each release. But, is 8.0 enough of an improvement to the non-AP software to satisfy current and prospective owners - who will soon begin seeing other options for purchasing a long range EV?
Yes.

So you have installed it?

I literally cannot wait to see how the media player handles 5 USB inputs and 200GB+ of music. I feel as though I may be somewhere between disgruntled and mildly incredulous.

I think it's interesting you point out that Tesla keeps adding features in that users haven't specifically requested en mass and are leaving features out that other cars have (features where people have actively praised them for their usefulness).

But hey, let's see what v8 does over the next couple of days. We may be surprised.