Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, and don't forget when you have scheduled charging turned on, the playlist will start up again, effectively destroying your place in your audiobook. And then there is that feature where it randomly rescans USB inputs so one day you'll have USB1 as USB5, or USB4 as USB3.

Empeg people, use this as your litmus test.....

Try playing from a file list instead of through the artist/album list. You'll see what I mean. It just gives the filename or the title, no album or artist information. Also, no art.
I think I have seen that too.
The album art has been inconsistent for me too on the standard rips of Der Ring. With the four huge FLAC files that I now have and that I manually tagged for good consistency I can at least select them by album and I get an album art that is sort of correct. I had hoped that it would have shown the image that the tagging program allowed me to insert into the files, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

It's not so much the songs within one CD; that works Ok. But I have a few sets of CDs that I'd like to listen to in the correct order. E.g. Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen conducted by Sir Georg Solti. That's 14 CDs of music that I'd like to be played in the correct order. I have not been able to figure out the logic behind the ordering of the albums in the media player. The first time it appeared to be ordered CD1, CD10, CD11, CD12, CD13, CD14, CD2, CD3, etc.
But at some point, after having removed and re-inserted the USB stick, the order appeared to be different.
It also doesn't help that the default album and song names are too long to fully display in the media player selection screen, so you cannot really tell what's what.

Another flaw is that the media player leaves a short gap between each song. That doesn't work well for songs that should be really be played gapless (as is the case for Der Ring). I have now resorted to converting the full works into 4 huge FLAC files. That appears to work better (but I have only made one small attempt to verify that the files get recognized and will start to play).

I ripped with morituri (on an Ubuntu 14.04 PC).
I see. Suggest you try playing from folder as @supratachophobia suggests above rather than album artist. People have used that to simulate playlists. Agree you cannot at this time deal with gapless. I admire your devotion, being able to listen to 14 CDs of Wagner consecutively! Not sure I've ever had that burning desire or driven that far!

It's not so much the songs within one CD; that works Ok. But I have a few sets of CDs that I'd like to listen to in the correct order. E.g. Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen conducted by Sir Georg Solti. That's 14 CDs of music that I'd like to be played in the correct order. I have not been able to figure out the logic behind the ordering of the albums in the media player. The first time it appeared to be ordered CD1, CD10, CD11, CD12, CD13, CD14, CD2, CD3, etc.
But at some point, after having removed and re-inserted the USB stick, the order appeared to be different.
It also doesn't help that the default album and song names are too long to fully display in the media player selection screen, so you cannot really tell what's what.

Another flaw is that the media player leaves a short gap between each song. That doesn't work well for songs that should be really be played gapless (as is the case for Der Ring). I have now resorted to converting the full works into 4 huge FLAC files. That appears to work better (but I have only made one small attempt to verify that the files get recognized and will start to play).

I ripped with morituri (on an Ubuntu 14.04 PC).
I have ripped Solti's recording of the Ring as well. you might want to change the label of the folders to CD01 CD02 .... CD09, CD10, CD11 .... to get the right order. BTW, the complete Solti Wagner recordings are available on Tidal.

I have ripped Solti's recording of the Ring as well. you might want to change the label of the folders to CD01 CD02 .... CD09, CD10, CD11 .... to get the right order. BTW, the complete Solti Wagner recordings are available on Tidal.

Yup, nearly all media players and file systems when sorting by filename do so by lexical order, and do not understand that CD2 is before CD10 (because it's being sorted alphabetically). Adding a zero prefix so that all numbers have the same number of digits fixes this.

We did receive several features in 7.1 that we voted for. Plus we've received a couple in the incremental updates to AP in the minor releases. So there's that I guess. A major overhaul to bugfixes and feature-set to the existing media player would be preferred over just skinning over it with a new UI.
Which ones did we get? Summons was new to 7.1 but not real useful and we didn't ask for it. The major category was Nav and Infotainment. My main issue with Nav is it's not accurate enough to trust it. If you read through this forum there are several dozen discussions on that point. Waypoints and other features are nice but just give me a tool that works and I can trust. Route selection is important because Nav will reroute you without notice if you have traffic A
aware Nav turned on. These things were mentioned in the first leak.

Which ones did we get? Summons was new to 7.1 but not real useful and we didn't ask for it. The major category was Nav and Infotainment. My main issue with Nav is it's not accurate enough to trust it. If you read through this forum there are several dozen discussions on that point. Waypoints and other features are nice but just give me a tool that works and I can trust. Route selection is important because Nav will reroute you without notice if you have traffic A
aware Nav turned on. These things were mentioned in the first leak.

OK, I think we got GPS homelink, valet to lock glovebox, drivers door handle present only option, return trip energy, improved Android app support, and backup lines right? Someone help me out here if I'm mistaken.

But you are absolutely right, waypoints/POI in NAV is basically a long over due necessity.

OK, I think we got GPS homelink, valet to lock glovebox, drivers door handle present only option, return trip energy, improved Android app support, and backup lines right? Someone help me out here if I'm mistaken.

But you are absolutely right, waypoints/POI in NAV is basically a long over due necessity.
We had backup lines already, return trip or round trip energy and (I think) glovebox lock) was there too. Drivers door only present was something the 2012 early adopters requested so we can't take credit for that. GPS homelink came with Summons (so the garage would open and close) so we can't take credit for that although I agree we had it in there but unfortunately 7.1 came out before we finished our final presentation right? In any case the "biggies" were not addressed. So not only was our survey not used but neither was Elon's own Twitter survey. Hopefully they will get it right this time.

We had backup lines already, return trip or round trip energy and (I think) glovebox lock) was there too. Drivers door only present was something the 2012 early adopters requested so we can't take credit for that. GPS homelink came with Summons (so the garage would open and close) so we can't take credit for that although I agree we had it in there but unfortunately 7.1 came out before we finished our final presentation right? In any case the "biggies" were not addressed. So not only was our survey not used but neither was Elon's own Twitter survey. Hopefully they will get it right this time.
Fair points, here's hoping v8 knocks some of the biggies out.

• Love
Reactions: msnow
I couldn't care less about Elon's "big picture" when it comes down to having basic features like navigation and media - something almost every other car manufacturer is able to get right. But I guess I should shrivel up and crawl under a rock...
I'll leave that decision up to you...

My 2013 Model S has acceptable media to me, and usable navigation. In fact the navigation is way better than what I had in my Porsche and Prius, which I sold to buy two Teslas.

Both Model S media and nav could of course be better. But I'm okay with them. I prefer to see Elon push the envelope on AP and other cool stuff.

Reactions: EVCollies
I'll leave that decision up to you...

My 2013 Model S has acceptable media to me, and usable navigation. In fact the navigation is way better than what I had in my Porsche and Prius, which I sold to buy two Teslas.

Both Model S media and nav could of course be better. But I'm okay with them. I prefer to see Elon push the envelope on AP and other cool stuff.
Too much focus on AP when basic things like Nav and Trip Planner (yes still "beta") have been problematic for years but I understand Elon wants to sell cars. MP is "acceptable" for me too. Nav, as it is now for many of us, can take you in circles one day, take you by surface streets instead of freeways the next, take you in the opposite direction the following day and then function perfectly. For me it's terrible and I just use my iPhone and Apple Maps if I really need to get accurate turn by turn directions.

Right, because I am a customer. I couldn't care less about Elon's "big picture" when it comes down to having basic features like navigation and media - something almost every other car manufacturer is able to get right. But I guess I should shrivel up and crawl under a rock because, you know, I'm just a customer and what I want doesn't matter. Because, as you say, Elon has a big picture.
I think the issue with your statement wasn't so much that you shouldn't have your personal demands - you should, and you clearly do. The issue was that you said:
Elon clearly has no idea what owners want.
And what you should have said was something more like "Elon clearly has no idea what I want."

I'm also a customer - of two Teslas. Big picture aside, I'm happier with my media features than in any other vehicle I've owned. Maybe I've just owned crappy cars. Navigation is overall better, but definitely has some capacity for improvement. You say almost every other manufacturer is able to get these things right. Name them. Name the manufacturers that have a better, or more "right" media and navigation interface, and remember that it should be "almost all of them." You may be able to do one or the other, but I've just not seen any that on the whole measure up. So I guess maybe Elon knows what I want?

In another exchange in one of these very tired conversations, someone implied that Mercedes "Comand" was a great system. I happened to get a MB loaner from Tesla with the system they were discussing. It was horrific. Menu hierarchies, a weird controller in the center console. It was also not very intuitive.

Tastes and usage differs. I see that a lot of people care about USB music, and that seems to be something that's lacking in the Tesla system. Personally, I never use it because I have a portable music device (my phone) which has everything I need on it, keeps track of where I am in an audiobook, playlist, podcast, etc. across any platform. My house Sonos, my Tesla, earbuds at the gym. I can't imagine using a USB drive. But some people do use them, and for them I hope the media system improves in that realm.

Since usage differs, we have to be careful assuming that what we want is what everyone wants.

I rethought what you said. I'm claiming driver's side door present for the voting group. I don't care what you say about those 2012 owners.
Sure no problem. But when you and Korbin? said that before a bunch of people dropped links from 3 years earlier with their request to Tesla. Also, it doesn't make sense that Tesla could react that fast from a survey that wasn't even complete to working code in a few weeks does it?

Sure no problem. But when you and Korbin? said that before a bunch of people dropped links from 3 years earlier with their request to Tesla. Also, it doesn't make sense that Tesla could react that fast from a survey that wasn't even complete to working code in a few weeks does it?
They were more than welcome to read the progress and follow it live. They do have users on here and they were aware of the thread. It could have prompted them to prioritize....

Elon and his team have been working their butts off to get an updated autopilot that would not have allowed the Josh Brown accident to take place. Their focus is well-placed. Further, the NHTSA is about to issue a whole bunch of guidelines for vehicles using autopilot-like features. Technology recalls are possible. Again, Tesla's focus is well-placed. I look forward to a better media player some day, I look forward to a suspension system that will automatically lower to normal as I enter my driveway so that I can consistently hit the tennis ball hanging on the string and park my Model S in the perfect spot in the garage, but for now I cool my heels and allow the team to concentrate on what saves lives and keeps people ordering Tesla vehicles.

Elon and his team have been working their butts off to get an updated autopilot that would not have allowed the Josh Brown accident to take place. Their focus is well-placed. Further, the NHTSA is about to issue a whole bunch of guidelines for vehicles using autopilot-like features. Technology recalls are possible. Again, Tesla's focus is well-placed. I look forward to a better media player some day, I look forward to a suspension system that will automatically lower to normal as I enter my driveway so that I can consistently hit the tennis ball hanging on the string and park my Model S in the perfect spot in the garage, but for now I cool my heels and allow the team to concentrate on what saves lives and keeps people ordering Tesla vehicles.

Thank you for your comments. While I have always suggested (and have had confirmed in some ways), Tesla driving dynamics and Tesla infotainment are two separate dev teams. That being said, I would not be opposed to an all-hands-on-deck approach to improving the AP situation so that something like what happened to Josh does not happen again. Thank you for helping put things back in perspective.

Reactions: GSP
I've never used a car with good nav or media. Can someone provide examples?

I haven't owned a car with good Satnav either, previously we augmented it with a TomTom and now we use Waze (on a phone).

The route to work is 4 miles off the highway. Both Tesla and previous (much older) VW SatNav take me one junction too far on the highway. On the return journey they route me direct to the highway - i.e. the optimal route. My understanding is that this is because their algorithm favours not turning off the highway (for a short stretch of "slower" road).

By comparison Waze gets me:

Better routing (or so it seems to me). It certainly doesn't do the one-junction-too-far thingie.
Immediate map updates - if people appear to be "driving across a field" today, because a new road has opened, Waze will start using that improvement almost immediately. In 10 years of owning VW cars they have never, not once, offered me a map update for SatNav - paid for, or otherwise. Waze also knows (learns?) what the priority is on junctions in remote places.
Avoidance of roads with slow traffic (based on both time-of-day guestimates, and also real-time traffic flow logged from other users)
If I grind to a halt in traffic Waze immediately tells me (verbally) the delay (and uses that info to determine the location of the "tail" and, if necessary, reroute following Waze users.
ETA is almost invariable correct to within a minute or two - barring being held up by an accident that occurs such that Waze cannot route around it
Notification (verbal) of roadworks, cars stopped on roadside, debris in the road, policemen "hiding in the bushes" :) - all reported by other users
Ability to TEXT my ETA to someone else, which includes a link they can use to check my ongoing progress
Search for destination using google search (same as Tesla Google maps), rather than having to know & enter an address

The downside, for me, is the tiny screen on my phone and eyesight that is not what it used to be. If (WHEN pls!!) Waze comes to the Big Screen I will be thrilled.

Reactions: pjw65