Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge disappointment, nothing mentioned about Nav. No overhall, no new features such as routes, waypoints or improved accuracy. Looks like another overpromise and underdeliver. What happened to all that stuff in the first leak? Hope Electrek got it wrong.

Me too. But Electrek says this new article is in ADDITION to the other stuff from the previous article.

Putting the two Electrek reports together I count for UI refresh:

- new map routing and turn instructions, routing based on energy, avoiding tolls, picking superchargers
- remove icon bar for full screen
- complete revamp of media player
- voice commands on all the time, no button needed (not sure how this will work?)
- minor AP UI

And that's not counting stronger regen and AP-radar.

That's not too bad for an update. What other parts need a refresh?

Personally I don't mind the firmware as it is. The media player needs an update and the nav could use some additional features but as it is I think the car is fine.

My post was a mix of the reception I think the software update is going to get (not good) combined with some frustration over Tesla's constant need to over-promise and under-deliver. I must admit that even as someone that is completely satisfied with the current setup, I'm disappointed solely because it was billed as some huge overhaul when at least by early indications, that doesn't appear to be the case.

There's nothing wrong with saying "hey, we're going to make the software better and address some shortcomings of the existing firmware". Instead it needs to be advertised as this huge improvement in the user experience and then it's left for people to speculate on for months.

I would so much rather Tesla said nothing and just released the firmware. Then when it drops there's no expectations and the only changes people notice are the positive.

Personally I don't care but as a matter of perception I don't think Tesla does themselves any favors with the teases and mistakes like this seem so sophomoric and easily avoidable. Huge Tesla fanboy here but it's easy to see why this company churns through PR people.

Personally I don't mind the firmware as it is. The media player needs an update and the nav could use some additional features but as it is I think the car is fine.

My post was a mix of the reception I think the software update is going to get (not good) combined with some frustration over Tesla's constant need to over-promise and under-deliver. I must admit that even as someone that is completely satisfied with the current setup, I'm disappointed solely because it was billed as some huge overhaul when at least by early indications, that doesn't appear to be the case.

There's nothing wrong with saying "hey, we're going to make the software better and address some shortcomings of the existing firmware". Instead it needs to be advertised as this huge improvement in the user experience and then it's left for people to speculate on for months.

I would so much rather Tesla said nothing and just released the firmware. Then when it drops there's no expectations and the only changes people notice are the positive.

Personally I don't care but as a matter of perception I don't think Tesla does themselves any favors with the teases and mistakes like this seem so sophomoric and easily avoidable. Huge Tesla fanboy here but it's easy to see why this company churns through PR people.
Agree. This is more like a 7.2 than a 8.0. Big overpromise if they missed those things you mentioned.

Hopefully I'm not being overly cynical (I dislike cynicism) but I get a niggling feeling that even if there's a UI overhaul, some people are going to continue to be just as dissatisfied. "Well, it's about time. What about ____?!" is what comes to mind.

Surely I'm wrong.

Agree. This is more like a 7.2 than a 8.0. Big overpromise if they missed those things you mentioned.

Don't make me right. You wouldn't like me when I'm right...

• Funny
Reactions: JonW and RubberToe
Huge disappointment, nothing mentioned about Nav. No overhall, no new features such as routes, waypoints or improved accuracy. Looks like another overpromise and underdeliver. What happened to all that stuff in the first leak? Hope Electrek got it wrong.
Plz RTFA. At end is link to prior article which mentions other features including nav, and note that the two reports additive. Can we plz wait to slam it until we have full reports on content?

Plz RTFA. At end is link to prior article which mentions other features including nav, and note that the two reports additive. Can we plz wait to slam it until we have full reports on content?
I've read it a few times. All I've see is the comment "That’s the bulk of the new user interface. We also explained some other features unrelated to the UI changes in our original v8.0 report.". I am talking about UI features such as Nav not AP. Can you point me to the comment that you reference that says it's "additive" or are you interpreting their comment that says these things are unrelated to the UI as being something other than that?

Last edited:
Pfft. I don't like this prole mindset of Tesla. When I had to update the software in my BMW right after the warranty expired (which the dealership had very thoughtfully avoided updating during the entire 4-year warranty period), I had to pay several hundred $ just for the software update. I even had to sign a waiver saying if any hardware failed after the software update, I would be liable for that. And when the software update didn't fix the problem, I had to pay yet again to replace some hardware. Now *that* is luxury! And German engineering at its finest. You folks have no idea what you are missing out on!!

well you have to give the Germans some credit for developing software that reduces emissions only during testing.

I've read it a few times. All I've see is the comment "That’s the bulk of the new user interface. We also explained some other features unrelated to the UI changes in our original v8.0 report.". I am talking about UI features such as Nav not AP. Can you point me to the comment that you reference that says it's "additive" or are you interpreting their comment that says these things are unrelated to the UI as being something other than that?
Ok you parsed it right. We will see. I suspect features from first leak that don't make 8.0 will make 8.1. So I choose to remain optimistic. Clearly there's more pressure on Tesla to enhance AP than anything else, so cannot question the prioritization.

As a classic owner, if 8.0 is only what the second article says, I'll be happy with significant media player improvements, unexpected better regen, and will await 8.1 for further UI and maps/nav improvements. But I still suspect there's a little more in 8.0 than the latest electek article describes.

Ok you parsed it right. We will see. I suspect features from first leak that don't make 8.0 will make 8.1. So I choose to remain optimistic. Clearly there's more pressure on Tesla to enhance AP than anything else, so cannot question the prioritization.

As a classic owner, if 8.0 is only what the second article says, I'll be happy with significant media player improvements, unexpected better regen, and will await 8.1 for further UI and maps/nav improvements. But I still suspect there's a little more in 8.0 than the latest electek article describes.
You don't know how much I hope my skepticism is misplaced.
P.S. I used to be optimistic too. :)