Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80 Amp Charing for Cybertruck, Tesla WC Gen 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why?

Except for the point where it isn't needed.
Even with every trick in the EPA test-manipulation book that Tesla wrote, I expect it would be a miracle for a boat anchor like this to achieve efficiency of around ~350wh/mi (which will of course never be repeatable in any real-world scenario). That implies a 210kwh usable battery to hit 600 paper miles.

For reference the F150 Lightning's EPA consumption is ~490wh/mi.

GM might be able to get away with 200+kwh batteries on super low-volume halo trucks like the Hummer that are massively expensive and probably still being sold at a loss... but Tesla can't.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
So answer me this. Why did they remove the extra charger option? What did they decrease the capacity of the current cord.

What size is your panel and how much extra capacity does it have?

And it's actually very easy for Tesla to indirectly make the determination. I'm quite sure that they had a graph with the number of charging sessions and the max current for each one.
After all, why would you limit a connector that had more capacity? That's because the connector wasn't the limiting factor.

I'd dare say that the average home panel today is a 200A panel. That's up from the 100A panel from about 30 years ago. Why did they move to the 200A panel? It's more expensive, but as houses were getting bigger, their electrical consumption passed 100A. And if you passed 100A and install a 200A panel, you don't have the capacity to add another 100A on top of the existing load.

And more and more homes are going to 400A service. They should have the additional capacity.

Again, it's a much easier decision than you seem to make it. Very few people were using the additional capacity, so what's the reason?
I built a new house 3 years ago and installed a 400 amp service. Ran two 60 amp runs in the garage Building a 60x100 garage in the next 6 months and it will also have a 400 amp service. So bring on the 80 amp charging options. 😁😁

Tesla determined that there were very few residences that could support 80A charging. Since there are still a large number of homes with 100A panels, this is pretty obvious, but even with 200A panels, 80A is a big chunk of power. It also requires much more expensive wiring.
And since everyone seems to think that a 50A circuit is the minimum you can install today, because that's what the current plugs handle, it actually creates customer dissatisfaction if they can't meet the maximum that the connector can do. The customer things that they are getting short-changed.
Got to love my 400 amp - Panel

Would be nice to have but i doubt it'll happen..

I love my 72amp onboard/Gen2 WC combo, saved me from going to SC few times
I don't need it often but i like to have that option, i'm sure many other too judging by how overpriced Gen2s are on eBay

Would be nice if Tesla simply left it as an option to configure ur car...

I also disagree with their claims of ppl not using 80A or not needing Mobile connector
As soon as they announced MC won't be included, it instantly sold out lol... that tells opposite story...
Correct on all counts.

Reactions: brainhouston
Efficiency is the name of the game. It seems very unlikely to me that the CT is going to ship with monstrous 200kwh batteries like the other trucks on the road now. Those massive batteries and piss-poor efficiency is what drives the need for high-power charging - a 200kwh battery needs ~18 hours for a complete charge on a 48 amp charger.
Range is a king. Thats what matters.

Even with every trick in the EPA test-manipulation book that Tesla wrote, I expect it would be a miracle for a boat anchor like this to achieve efficiency of around ~350wh/mi (which will of course never be repeatable in any real-world scenario). That implies a 210kwh usable battery to hit 600 paper miles.

GM might be able to get away with 200+kwh batteries on super low-volume halo trucks like the Hummer that are massively expensive and probably still being sold at a loss... but Tesla can't.
I Keep thinking back to Battery Day… they’re gonna cost less to make, there gonna have more power, there gonna be amazing

If I could do it again, i would do intelligent panels
1691423245448.png

These ex Tesla guys are the best for starting new disruptive solutions
Span founder

you are making too much sense here ;)

GM is widely expected to use a 200kwh (!) battery to achieve *just* up to 450 miles of range in the upcoming Silverado EV... anf that vehicle will cost $100k+ and weigh 8500 lbs ....

there's virtually zero chance the Cybertruck will see 500 miles - let alone 600 miles ... we would be talking about a vehicle close to 9000 lbs with a 220kwh+ battery and a solid six figure sticker price