Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

800W RMS Amplifier install on 2022 model Y with new 15.5V Li-ion battery/AMD system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about the problems that you all are having. Not knowing your connections points, types of wiring you're using, method of wiring you're doing, etc., I'm at a loss for recommendations.
I can say that since my install I have had ZERO problems with it. Listened to an audiobook on the way home from work yesterday but blasted the bass this morning on the way into work. No issues.
I'd say if you can't get it to work, then definitely don't degrade your car/usability experience.
I used 4 gauge OFC from the penthouse connection point under the rear seat, back to the XS power battery in the back. Then from the battery to a 500watt rms JL amp.

I ripped it all out last night and went for a drive today. I just can't help but yearn for more bass lol. I'm considering trying it again but with a smaller 200watt rms amp. Not much, but the car shouldn't complain about 200 watts as it's within the levels of what the low voltage system would pull when using both 12v outlets.

These are the errors I got. I was limited to 32 amps charging. Removing the power from the penthouse as well as the frunk area fixed it, but that was a pain in the ass to do. Definitely not looking to do that every time this error comes up.

Edit: @Bradford_G, do you think it's worth me trying to run the power cable up to the front connection point? I'd be surprised if that makes any difference, but I'm not opposed to giving it a go.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    616.5 KB · Views: 25
I used 4 gauge OFC from the penthouse connection point under the rear seat, back to the XS power battery in the back. Then from the battery to a 500watt rms JL amp.

I ripped it all out last night and went for a drive today. I just can't help but yearn for more bass lol. I'm considering trying it again but with a smaller 200watt rms amp. Not much, but the car shouldn't complain about 200 watts as it's within the levels of what the low voltage system would pull when using both 12v outlets.

These are the errors I got. I was limited to 32 amps charging. Removing the power from the penthouse as well as the frunk area fixed it, but that was a pain in the ass to do. Definitely not looking to do that every time this error comes up.

Edit: @Bradford_G, do you think it's worth me trying to run the power cable up to the front connection point? I'd be surprised if that makes any difference, but I'm not opposed to giving it a go.
Use the front battery connection - it’s the penthouse connection point causing the issues (especially if you didn’t install a relay and resistor as recommended).

I guess I can speak with experience since I have a lot hooked up to the penthouse lug (air, amp, and dsp) and I have no issues.

1. You don’t need an additional battery
2. You need a circuit breaker switch to disconnect the amp from the lug. The amp needs to have signal sense when tapping for subwoofer signal on. Without this the amp will stay on and draw power. You can flip this switch during software updates. If you want to be overly cautious you can put the signal sense on a switch before it goes into the amp. That way power goes to the amp but it dies there and doesn’t get used. You have to remember to flip it off and on.

*I wouldn’t recommend what I’m doing below but it is proof of concept only for my car*

-My air ignition source is my 12v accessory outlet. Car needs to be physically on for me to use my air suspension (60 amp draw)
-My NVX system has a LOC. That LOC takes signal from my stock subwoofer power. This then turns on my LOC which then turn on a signal to my amp to turn on power for power draw. Again after the car is physically on (40 amp draw)
-My alpine dsp has signal sense coming from speaker signals in order to turn on. Stock MCU and rear amp need to be on for it to be on (40 amp draw)

All the above is running off fuses. No breaker and connected directly to the rear lug.

Do not attempt if you do not understand the tesla system fully on how power works. Use breakers and switches for manual disconnect for software updates / charging.

Last edited:
Use the front battery connection - it’s the penthouse connection point causing the issues (especially if you didn’t install a relay and resistor as recommended).
This is 1000% incorrect. Do not put any power draining items in the front lug.

How the tesla system works:

HV battery goes to DC-DC converter at the lug. The lug then sends DC power to the 12/15.5v battery up front to get recharged. This is at 200amps. Then the 12/15.5v send that power to the front MCU. The front MCU “if” it does not get what it needs voltage wise you will get a “VC front xxx” warning. Tapping at the front will not properly charge the battery FOR the MCU needs.

Intercepting the power BEFORE it goes to the front makes the HV battery push MORE power to make up the difference.

IMG_0944.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed a Kicker CX 800.1 amplifier and an AudioControl LC2i Pro LOC pushing to 2 older model 10" Kicker Comp VR subs in a custom box I built for the sub-trunk. I know there are better amps and subs out there—I’m from Oklahoma, so trying to support ‘the local guys’. Also just looking for some additional bass—not trying to draw extra attention or win a competition or anything.

After reading some of the posts here on the forum regarding the NVX boost system, battery issues, etc., I thought I had all of the equipment I needed for the install to avoid issues.

However, I had originally connected the amp’s power supply from the penthouse, but much like the last thread above mentions, there were issues doing that, and Tesla's electronics did NOT like it (I'm assuming the issue was the MOFSETS in the penthouse not liking the power draw when first waking up the car, but that’s just a guess). I ended up purchasing a 14V accessory battery from XS Batteries to help keep the amp happy and reduce the instantaneous draw on the system upon initial wakeup of the car. I also moved the connection point from the penthouse to the jump post at the front of the vehicle, above the low voltage battery, to distance the connection from the MOFSETS. This combo seemed to work.

Here's the connection.
View attachment 854079

I installed circuit breakers instead of the usual audio fuses, in case I needed/wanted to disconnect the accessory system from the car’s low voltage system. Here’s the circuit breaker I installed at the front (30A).
View attachment 854080

Here is the battery location and the circuit breakers on both the line back to the front (again for safety/isolation purposes) as well as the breaker to the amp, as a typical install would require (80A to the amp, per its' spec, and 60A to the front, just to have a different color option to keep them easily identifiable).
View attachment 854083

Here’s a link to where I purchased the battery: XS Power RSV-S6
Yes, stupidly expensive. The ‘stupidity tax’ for wanting an aftermarket audio system in a finicky car I suppose.

I also added a Bluetooth lithium ion battery tracker from antigravity batteries. Without a battery isolator installed to keep the two low voltage systems separated, it just gives me the total voltage of the system (accessory and car battery together). So, not entirely useful, unless the car’s low voltage battery also started failing. However, I could open one of the circuit breakers between the two to get a better indication of the accessory battery voltage status.

Here’s the custom box I made to maximize the space of the sub-trunk.
View attachment 854085

View attachment 854086

The wings are weird, admittedly, but I needed every bit of space in the sub trunk that I could get, so that I had enough internal volume required for the subs’ operation. Box has just over 1.65 ft3 internal volume. Box is also filled 50% with polyfil as well.

It’s an 800W RMS amplifier, pushing power to the 2 10” 2-ohm DVC subs. Also have an AudioControl LC2i Pro LOC, receiving the audio and converting the signal for the Kicker amp. Here’s the whole system:
View attachment 854087

I used a piggyback harness another forum member made to tap into the audio system at the factory sub for the LOC signal; $70ish. Pricy, for what I was getting. But, easier than trying to splice into the system. And since all of it is plug-and-play, I can remove the system entirely as if it was never there. That piece of mind made the purchase worth it for me.

Trailer/tow harness, ordered from Tesla; less than $5. This was my 12V source near the driver’s seat footwell so I could install an on/off switch. I wanted to ensure the system would be fully off when I leave the car, to avoid battery issues with the amp continuing to stay awake or put a draw on the system. In a discussion with the CTO of WavTech, there seem to be reports after one of the 2022-based software updates where the previous low voltage wire that was being used to tap a power supply continued to supply power and the audio equipment continued to stay ‘on’ when the car was put into sentry mode, thus keeping the whole aftermarket system on. I use sentry mode everywhere but at the house, so I was concerned with this. However, I only have that story, and no personal experience with confirming that scenario. Just trying to avoid it, hence the on/off switch.

I put an inline fuse between this harness and the button, which I installed on the driver’s side console side-wall. This is one of the two spots where there would be physical/visible evidence of the system, should I ever remove it, since I did drill a hole through the plastic/carpet there.
View attachment 854088

View attachment 854090

For the negative/ground for the accessory battery and for the LOC, I used the bolt holes where the 3rd row seatbelts would attach.
View attachment 854092

Lastly, here’s the location for the LOC bass knob.
View attachment 854094

Only other thing to note was that when I purchased the battery, it arrived with a low voltage, so I needed to use a 16 V lithium ion battery charger to get it up to snuff. I installed it with just a hair over the car’s resting low voltage, to ensure that there were no issues from the temperamental software. Worked great, and once it was installed, it’s been charging/hovering at 15.4 V, which is 85-90ish percent max SOC for this battery, which should minimize battery degradation.

The system is definitely not breaking any records with watts, but is sounds amazeballs, and definitely does the job that I wanted it to do! Super happy with the finished product. Final verdict is that an aftermarket install on the new higher low-voltage system is possible (if you can manage to swallow the battery cost).
Very nice install. I have that same lc2 unit I plan on installing in June in my s. I bet that thumps! I have a set of JL 12s and an alpine amp

Reactions: Bradford_G
2023 Fremont Model Y performance with 16v battery.
I just put in a JL Audio JD500/1 Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier wired directly to the penthouse. I didn't disturb the stock conection and instead double nutted the amp on top of it. Amp is setup with signal sense, 30amp fuse and high quality #6 wire. Run is less than 5 foot and the ground is 3ish foot to factory sub ground location.

Powering a JL 13tw5-3 in a wedge sealed box. It's almost too much and that's what I wanted. Factory amp/sub is untouched other than tapping source wires. For some reason the Brown was + and the purple was -. Or at least to my ears, this gives the best phasing with the other speakers.

@MountainManGuy from the replies, you can see there's more than one way to skin a cat. I would recommend *not* hooking up directly to penthouse, but that's anecdotal based on my experience/issues. It sounds like @SiW80 is in a similar line of thinking.
However, @TwoK4drSi has had great success with tapping the penthouse based on the concept that connecting to the front will cause voltage/amperage requirement difficulties. And @Sweed269 has also connected directly to the penthouse.
To answer your question from above, yes, I would agree with routing wiring up to the front. But as you can see, there are others who have methods that have been successful with direct connections directly to the penthouse. If you want to connect to penthouse, I would definitely reach out to one of the other fellas as they seem very knowledgeable about the electrical requirements/parameters to help keep your car healthy and happy.

I have my 500w amp banging beats for about a month now hooked up into the penthouse. I would like to say it has been going smooth but I've had 2 instances where I get the LV bad quality error. And going into service mode I have the "sharpCurrentRise", error.
I am now setting up a full automation using 200amp stinger relay, 100w resistor, along with a timer, smaller relay, and an NAND gate to turn on the resistor to allow slow current, after 10 seconds it will introduce the full 200 amps then stop power to the resistor to save 100w while the car is on.
And while the car is off, the amp, and my 2nd aux battery will not get ANY power while the car is off to hopefully KILL all the errors!
Will report back here when I'm successful

Reactions: MountainManGuy
This sounds great. Can you share a rough wiring diagram once you get this working?

I am going to try my setup again. I just got the 200amp stinger relay today as well as the 100w resistor, but if I could minimize phantom drain even further with the smaller relay and nand gate that would be ideal.

This sounds great. Can you share a rough wiring diagram once you get this working?

I am going to try my setup again. I just got the 200amp stinger relay today as well as the 100w resistor, but if I could minimize phantom drain even further with the smaller relay and nand gate that would be ideal.

Here is a rough draw up I did, to the left of the resistor is a small relay i forgot to label. My NAND gate works and am setting up the timer tonight.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 21
So after taking everything out, I re-installed the amp and added the mentioned resistor and isolator and I've not had one single error message pop up since. I do think it was the initial spark of inrush current that caused the problems before. Adding that resistor and isolator seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys!

Also, I noticed something weird with the resistor. I tried wiring up a 300w Audiocontrol amp and with the signal sense turned on, that resistor would get crazy hot, to the point you couldn't even touch it. If I turned off signal sense, the resistor wouldn't get hot but the amp kept going into protect every other time I turned it on. I'd have to cycle it off and on again and it would work.

Swapped that amp out for the previous amp I was trying, a JL 600 watt amp with standard remote turn on and that resistor stays ice cold at all times. I don't really understand what was going on there but I'm going to stick with the JL for now.

Just to add, I'm wired to the penthouse, not the frunk. I also returned that $850 XS battery as it's really not needed for such a small amp. Car seems happy and the system sounds so much better.

So after taking everything out, I re-installed the amp and added the mentioned resistor and isolator and I've not had one single error message pop up since. I do think it was the initial spark of inrush current that caused the problems before. Adding that resistor and isolator seems to have done the trick. Thanks guys!

Also, I noticed something weird with the resistor. I tried wiring up a 300w Audiocontrol amp and with the signal sense turned on, that resistor would get crazy hot, to the point you couldn't even touch it. If I turned off signal sense, the resistor wouldn't get hot but the amp kept going into protect every other time I turned it on. I'd have to cycle it off and on again and it would work.

Swapped that amp out for the previous amp I was trying, a JL 600 watt amp with standard remote turn on and that resistor stays ice cold at all times. I don't really understand what was going on there but I'm going to stick with the JL for now.

Just to add, I'm wired to the penthouse, not the frunk. I also returned that $850 XS battery as it's really not needed for such a small amp. Car seems happy and the system sounds so much better.
I know the trial and error with some of these more finnicky electronics is frustrating, but I'm really glad that you were able to find something that worked! Congrats on getting the system up and running. Enjoy the thump!

Same here, I’ve had my 2 L7 10’s running a NVX 1000w amplifier since 2021 KILLING it with not 1 error message. No extra battery/equipment to speak of. Ran 4 gauge OFC straight from the front battery to my amp been loving it everyday as my daily.
I wouldn't run from the front battery, yes at first it works but at least for me, over a few months of banging beats, the bass got weaker and weaker... switched to penthouse and back to banging.. although side note: my ground wasn't perfectly grounded so that MIGHT've been my problem. lmk

So I have decided to try this one out, I managed to find a new E-Bike battery with quality Samsung 18650 lithium cells so I am in the process of building my own lithium pack.
It will be a 4S10P configuration ending up at 33Ah
Still not decided if I am going to route car power from the front battery or the penthouse.
I was thinking about also adding a cap, from what I understand the car doesnt like big power bursts, and a cap should remedy that as long as the cap is fully charged.
This is just a theory, a cap might make things worse as it initially needs to charge up, what do you guys think?

So I have decided to try this one out, I managed to find a new E-Bike battery with quality Samsung 18650 lithium cells so I am in the process of building my own lithium pack.
It will be a 4S10P configuration ending up at 33Ah
Still not decided if I am going to route car power from the front battery or the penthouse.
I was thinking about also adding a cap, from what I understand the car doesnt like big power bursts, and a cap should remedy that as long as the cap is fully charged.
This is just a theory, a cap might make things worse as it initially needs to charge up, what do you guys think?
That level of home-grown is slightly outside of my wheelhouse. Kudos to you for the efforts though.
My guess based on my own experience with the small capacitors in my amp is that yes, yours is going to want fed asap, and as soon as it pulls a big draw at startup, you're going to get errors. You might be able to fill it with a connection (perhaps to that battery you're making, assuming it is of sufficient voltage to be similar to the car), and maybe even having some jumper wires to have the capacitor temporarily connected to the aux battery during the car hookup/wakeup process. I ran my connection to the car all the way from the front, but it sounds as if newer cars have a different connection type at the front that does not lend itself to this type of connection. So, penthouse may be your best option, but then you'll really want to make sure the capacitor is topped off and does not need to pull a big amperage to fill itself when you first connect.