Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D 0-60 sometimes 5.2 and sometimes 4.5 sec??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of you guys remember how this went down?

All I remember is when it first came out it had the same 0-60 time as S85. Then Tesla did a software fix to get it into the 4's. The way I remember it, the software update was for ALL the 85D's.

However if you go to teslainventory dot com and filter on 85D and compare. Tesla quotes some in the 4's and some in the 5's. It kind of looks like the higher VINs get the faster 0-60 tmes. (Tesla tells you 0-60 times in the ad.)

What's the skinny?
Anyone know?

Thx,
George

Pretty sure it's more efficient motors on the later ones and it was software locked.

This is not correct. The motors are all the same, and the 85D's are all the same speed.

Tesla inventory simply pulls up the ORIGINAL listed specs for that VIN (i.e. Tesla doesn't go back in and update the specs for the VIN, even though the car has received the firmware upgrade and is faster).

The 85D is a 0-60 4.2s car, period. All of them, no exceptions. There were no significant motor revisions to account for the change in specs, it was all software.

This is not correct. The motors are all the same, and the 85D's are all the same speed.

Tesla inventory simply pulls up the ORIGINAL listed specs for that VIN (i.e. Tesla doesn't go back in and update the specs for the VIN, even though the car has received the firmware upgrade and is faster).

The 85D is a 0-60 4.2s car, period. All of them, no exceptions. There were no significant motor revisions to account for the change in specs, it was all software.

Thx bkp,
your answer makes sense but I wish we had some more data to prove it.

Why is this in the FOR SALE section?

I posted it here because I'm constantly looking for used Teslas. I have a 2012 S. Of course I want a P. my choice right now would be a 2014 P85 RWD or a plain 85D AWD. I just couldn't get the accel numbers figured out that Tesla posts in its used car section. I thought ALL the 85D's had the lower accel time. bkp's answer makes sense.

I could be wrong but it looks like Tesla asks more for the ones with lower adverised 0-60 times.... but it's probably because they are higher VINs

Would be happy to share some, but have never done anything with that before. Aside from downloading the Tesla Dashboard app - can you share a few tips/steps for a novice?
1. If you don't want to buy the app, ask for a one day code here.
2. Look for the speed clocking tab....
screenshot7.png

3. Make sure to do the run in an area with good mobile data coverage. Better to do a couple to make sure you get one good one. Charging your car to 90% or more beforehand gets more comparable results.
4. zip the CSV and attach to a private message to me. I will delete the GPS data after calculating distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA