Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes no sense. The truth is out. There is no need to hide anymore.

The exterior color wasn't important in that photo at all. I really am trying to not rub it in to everyone's face. I know there are owners here who had 85D orders in canceled colors. I remember what it felt like to have just missed out on the autopilot hardware. I remember how it felt reading the posts of the people who were on the other side of that situation. Unnecessarily pointing out the color every chance I got would be rubbing it in.

I haven't gone back and asked Tesla about the situation, but I'm sure they'd still ask me to continue to be discrete about the situation. I'm pretty sure the reason they asked me to be discrete is to avoid upsetting people who didn't get to keep their color. I'm positive some of those people still haven't gotten their cars yet, so it still seems too early for me to be posting the color without concern for their feelings.

I can't deny that I'm glad you posted the picture. I'd hope it means that everyone has all the proof they need and people don't need to look for clues in everything I post. I love my car and I'd love to just be able to post pictures of it to everyone. I'm sure as more time goes back I'll loosen up about this. But for the time being I'm not going to post the information publicly.

Yeah balloon noise was just under acceleration. The front motor on my car started out only making a very slight noise under acceleration and now makes a slightly louder noise whenever going at any slower speed. Music/Radio can easily cover this up. It's not an annoying sound in my opinion though.

This help?
View attachment 75307

I love it, thanks. Perfect combo and I love the way it makes for a 2 tone interior (as opposed to a 3 or 4 tone). It is nice to see the details look good. I have seen some awful stitching in other pics and I didn't care for the weird piping or alcantara inserts in earlier cars.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes no sense. The truth is out. There is no need to hide anymore.
Or I can start stalking you on TMC and respond to every post you make with "BTW, your car is green"
:p

Lol, oh I think you have already crossed that line. If Ben wasn't so obliging with his interior shots I was thinking maybe you could help...

Breser: How much Daily charge do you get? I got my 85D a week ago and it went up to 244 if I recall right. Then 242 a couple of days ago. And now it doesn't go past 240.

Is that usual?

Answer depends on if you're in range mode or not. Range mode is 245. No Range mode is 242. What I think is probably getting you is vampire drain. If you charge in the evening by morning you'll have lost a few miles. It's not uncommon for me to come out to 239 or 240 when range mode isn't on.

Well here's the 6k mile update. Had the tires rotated yesterday and had them look into my seat click. Once again they didn't get it. Wouldn't do it while we drove around but it was there on the way home. I've also since noticed that the gear stalk doesn't light up. Pretty certain my S85 did even though it also had the new stalks. Service center says the new ones don't light up. Otherwise no other problems.

I'm not talking about the cruise control on/off light (which was in the notes). I'm talking about the window with the info on what the different motions do on the gear selector.

I'm 90% sure I recall someone talking about a change in the behavior of that as well with a recent update. The other 10% is that it was you talking about it, so take that for what it's worth. But if you have never mentioned this before, someone else has.

Edit: Found it!

Bugs in firmware 6.2 - Page 4

After 6.2 update, the gear stalk no longer illuminates the D, R , N and P letters.

I'm 90% sure I recall someone talking about a change in the behavior of that as well with a recent update. The other 10% is that it was you talking about it, so take that for what it's worth. But if you have never mentioned this before, someone else has.

Edit: Found it!

Bugs in firmware 6.2 - Page 4

Thanks. The service center of course told me that they weren't designed to light up and did so based on examining another car. But it sounds like this may be a software bug.

I'll hit 10k miles tomorrow morning on my way into work. Wow that sure did go fast.

Several other minor nits that I've noticed.

The rubber gasket at the bottom of the rear door jamb on the driver's side is coming loose. Looks like there's glue on the rubber but it didn't adhere to the car.

I've got a clip attached to some elastic that's loose under my passengers front seat. I've tried to put it back on but I must not be finding the right spot.

There are some rubber covers that go over some bolts that stick out on the hatch around the tail lights. I've had two of them go missing. Not really their fault but I'll probably see if they have some they can give me.

Still have my clicking back seat. But as I've mentioned elsewhere I want to try and do more work to isolate it before I ask them to fix it again because I don't think we're getting the right thing. It has become harder to reproduce/hear so we have made some progress on that.

Nothing really significant or functional.

That makes sense, I make a regular commute to Seattle from Portland which a large chunk is 70mph which really eats into it as well. It's amazing to see it drop during rush-hour though, I think I made it through Tacoma with 159 Wh/mi once.

Yeah about a third of my commute is 70 which also doesn't help. I'm not so sure that you're putting fewer miles than me though. I'm not sure when you got your car but as you can see from my signature I've had mine since February 18th.

When I was talking about reducing heat I wasn't referring to trying to protect the battery, but rather the various components in the charging system. For example, the components in the dual chargers themselves (bypassed when supercharging) and also the components in the HPWC. I wasn't even thinking about the battery itself.

Perhaps Cottonwood will chime in, as I don't feel particularly qualified to discuss this as I'm basically just parroting back what I've read, and my rudimentary understanding of it.

We have a 2011 Volt - been charging with the pathetic 3.3 KW charger at 15 amps for the past 4 years. We have yet to see any degradation of the battery - 70,000 miles and 84% on electric.

I don't want to pick sides here, but being an engineer, it seems prudent to charge slower (I.E. cooler) if you have the time. I just ordered my MS this past weekend. We're installing the HPWC but using a 50 amp breaker/40 amp service since I'll only have a single charger on the car. To me (and for my commute and driving habits), it doesn't make any sense to get the dual chargers and charge at the higher rate. I'm getting the 85D also, and at the 29 miles/hour rate of charge that'll charge in 9 hours "empty" to full on the 40 amps. Why would I need it any quicker than that, since i need to sleep?

Further, if time of use power rates are available, I'd like to program my MS to come on to take advantage of the lower rates off peak - for most of those times that I had barely dented the battery's capacity the day before.

I think battery degradation has a lot more to do with deep cycling than fast charging. Don't let the state of charge drop more than you have to. Plus I don't fully charge the battery, so it's always in the 'sweet spot' for long life. Of course some people need the full range frequently.