Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is now a month old (actually 28 days but February 18th - March 18th counts as a month in my book). We've got a little over 3k miles on the car now. Still happy. Still have the click in the back seat but I'm trying to put up with it till I get to 5k and need to get the tires rotated. The HPWC 79A issue is apparently going to be solved by a software update. The other rattle in the headliner hasn't been happening lately, maybe it's just totally gone. Only other thing I've noticed is that the car seems louder in the last week or so. The front motor noise is less of a very quiet sound and more of a whine.

I have previously driven a P85+ in Switzerland and a P85 in Vegas. A couple of weeks I was lucky enough to experience an extended test of an S85D in Portland OR.

The car was pearl white with black 21", black leather seats, executive rear seats, extended nappa leather, black alcantara headliner, and glossy wood trim. The combination was not a choice I was considering but it was absolutely gorgeous inside and out. My wife was also very impressed with the visual appeal of the car and the beautiful, crisp, and well thought out screens. She loved the yacht floor and immediately remarked on how useful it was to store her handbag. The car felt very well made, no rattles or squeaks (the brand new Volvo XC 60 rental I drove to the event squeaked and rattled all the way there). The suspension was firm but very well damped; more harsh than I expected. The car felt very European to drive and the handling was truly excellent; very confidence inspiring.

During the test drive I tried hard to focus on the pure driving characteristics of the car and ignore all the technology. I am very sensitive to sound and I could immediately make out the front motor whine. It is a very subtle sound very much like the high frequency noise you hear in jet engine. The sound was noticeable from about 10 to 60 mph, provided the stereo was off and ac blower on low. I didn't find it to be performance related as it was noticeable during gentle acceleration/regeneration. You could argue that it sounds cool. My wife also noticed the sound from the back seat and commented later that the car was "supposed to be silent." From a performance perspective I was mildly impressed with the S85D with a launch from 0 and with how long it kept pushing. Not a hint of tire slip or TC action - impressive and in excess of every day needs. I love the instant torque response to throttle inputs when on the move.

If the only difference between and S85D and S85 in day to day driving is the front motor whine, then I would opt out if I didn't really need AWD. I wonder if the S85's have the same suspension setup or handle as well? I think there are people that would still opt for the P85 especially if it benefits from all the iterative improvements and suspension enhancements.

I have yet to try the P85D, I'll save that for a time when I am able to actually purchase one of these beauties where I live.

If the only difference between and S85D and S85 in day to day driving is the front motor whine, then I would opt out if I didn't really need AWD. I wonder if the S85's have the same suspension setup or handle as well?

I can say without a doubt that the S85D handling is much better than the S85. I don't think there's a lot of suspension difference, but I think it all pretty much comes down to AWD. I'd still buy the car despite the extra noise. The S85 had it's own noises and personally I found them more annoying.

I can say without a doubt that the S85D handling is much better than the S85. I don't think there's a lot of suspension difference, but I think it all pretty much comes down to AWD. I'd still buy the car despite the extra noise. The S85 had it's own noises and personally I found them more annoying.

Hi Ben,

Can you describe the S85 noises and what makes them annoying? Could you also post a picture of your interior? I haven't seen a high quality picture of grey / piano black and black Alcantara headliner.

Thanks.

Alex

Can you describe the S85 noises and what makes them annoying?

The balloon noise that many people have described before. Not every car has it, but my S85 built in September 2014 did. Tesla considers this normal.

Could you also post a picture of your interior? I haven't seen a high quality picture of grey / piano black and black Alcantara headliner.

This picture is in my already posted pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/bEhMQDx.jpg

I don't find the front motor noise to be distracting. Sounds similar to a jet turbine when spooling up.

It does get a bit louder under accel though but hard to hear if you have either AC or radio going.

FWIW I've got a rattle in the front if the pano roof. I've been told that its something they can take care of when I get a chance to swing by the SC.

The balloon noise that many people have described before. Not every car has it, but my S85 built in September 2014 did. Tesla considers this normal.

This picture is in my already posted pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/bEhMQDx.jpg

Was that balloon noise present all the time? That would have driven me nuts. I understood it was only under hard acceleration (agreed still annoying).

Thanks, I saw that picture. Very classy btw, but it was missing the dash...pan left! pan left!

Thanks once again for all your informative posts.

Was that balloon noise present all the time? That would have driven me nuts. I understood it was only under hard acceleration (agreed still annoying).

Yeah balloon noise was just under acceleration. The front motor on my car started out only making a very slight noise under acceleration and now makes a slightly louder noise whenever going at any slower speed. Music/Radio can easily cover this up. It's not an annoying sound in my opinion though.

Thanks, I saw that picture. Very classy btw, but it was missing the dash...pan left! pan left!

This help?
l7qwnik.jpg