Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@breser I would LOVE to hear your impressions of how the P85D accelerates (in sport mode) and handles compared to your 85D. My P85D is production complete, but am regretting not waiting until I could have test driven both, because I strongly suspect I would have ended up with the 85D and saved myself 20K. I'm actually considering walking away from the PD and re-ordering the 85D, now that the new seats are available for the latter.

Remember to turn off Range Mode if it still has .167 installed on it! :) (context = P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely")

It has .140 on it. Looked on the way home with it.

- - - Updated - - -

keep it in sport mode and it'll probably feel like yours.

Doubtful, according to this testing insane is 0-60 in 3.17 and sport is 0-60 in 4.04. The 85D is listed as 0-60 in 5.2 and the P85D is listed at 3.2. So it's still going to be about a second faster.

Dropped my car off at the Service Center to resolve the minor things I mentioned earlier in this thread. I said earlier in this thread that I really didn't want to drive a P85D. So of course the loaner is a P85D.
The gods of fate are playing with you.

I'm really interested in comparisons, as I have an 85D on order and was tempted by the P85D as well. Rationally, the 85D is the "sweet spot", with the greatest range, all wheel security, and very good acceleration with a mid level price tag. But tell that to your inner 4 year old.

I know the 0-60 times, but am curious about 0-30 or so. I assume the P should pile on the Gs immediately, but am very interested in real world experience and particularly "seat of the pants" comparison.

Got my car back. I'll talk about the charging issue on the thread specifically on that over in the battery and charging sub-forum. They got the rear seat click noise gone. In fact they really went above and beyond by putting some tape on the new rear console latch to stop it from making any noise. Before I had taken it in it had developed a very bad rattle in the pano roof. They found some insulating tape had come loose and adjust a tab on the roof and that took care of that. The rattle I thought was coming from dash was found and resolved. However, when I went to pick it up and took a road test with them we found that there was another rattle that was contributing to the noise but neither myself nor the tech that rode with me could figure out where it was coming from. But decided we'd leave that for some future visit, probably when I rotate tires at 5k miles. After I drove away we went around the block and I realized it was coming from the headliner. Pushed in on it and it mostly went away, though it still slightly comes back. But at least I know where it comes from and it should be easy to resolve for sure.

I'll start a new thread with comparisons between the 85D and the P85D so as not to clutter this thread with that.

I'd mentioned wanting to do a road trip to the new Coeur d'Alene, ID SuperCharger once it opens. Another member with an S85 has contacted me and we're going to do that road trip together to collect some comparison data. It'll be a 278 mile drive one way. I'm not expecting to make a video like wk075 has been doing. But we should still be able to collect useful information.

This is on for Saturday now. I'd really like to use Visible Tesla to track data but the current released version doesn't work for me and for some reason I can't get it to build properly (maybe I'll get this figured out tomorrow). So we may have to just deal with noting the numbers the car displays. We're going to try and make things as equal as possible between the two cars, but there are going to be some differences we can't account for.

After having spent > 24hr with our new S85D I agree with almost all breser has shared.

Honestly given my experience so far I don't know if I'd ever go with a P85D. The S85D has no shortage of acceleration and I'm looking forward to the added range(I'll be doing my first long run stretch on Monday). The added cost plus range reduction doesn't seem that attractive to me now, although that could just be buyer's justification.

Overall just an incredibly well rounded car, impressive on all fronts.

Hear, hear! Different rates for different folks... Use what you need. If you don't need as much most of the time, then reduce stress and charge a little slower.

We are discussing the second and third order optimizations. When it comes down to it, enjoy your Tesla and don't worry the details!

I just need to remember that many have labeled me an O^2, an Obsessive Optimizer. :biggrin:

I'd add that charging slower:
less or zero energy drawn to cool the charger = less vampire loss. Let it charge to finish charging just before you go to work.
lithium batteries prefer to be kept at a state of charge around the mid point - not full, not empty (and not hot, not cold - room temperature.
So keeping the charge below 80% is better... ramping it to 80, 90 or 100% as fast as possible is going to be worse long term.
Better to charge when at 30% (not at 65 or 75%) stop charging at 80%, and charge it slowly to 80%. ie dont charge it after doing a 20-100mile run if you know the next day you dont need >70 miles. Of course you never know what tomorrow holds so your thoughts on that may vary.
There's lots of graphs online about battery life at various temperatures for lithium batteries... no lithium chemistry likes hot, or full / empty capacity.

Trip from seattle to tucson in 85d

odometer town miles energy used/miles
17 seattle 0
101 centralia 81 125
232 woodburn 131 143
311 springfield 79 89
451 grants pass 140 147
570 mt shasta 119 131
679 corning 100 109
858 manteca 179 200
957 harris ranch 129 140
1105 tejon ranch 118 133
1280 cabazon 175 197
1429 quartzite 159 205
1572 gila bend 143 170
1643 casa grande 71 111
1700 tucson 59 79

averaged about 50 miles per hr includes stops to recharge.
Drove 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit
car handles great thru the mountain areas
adaptive cruise control is good most of the time. The only frustration is once it is on you can not increase your speed until the vehicle in front of you moves completly out of your lane. That will cause some frustration for you and the people behind you who are breathing down your neck i had the adaptive cruise control set at 5 lengths. Next time i will try 3 lengths. The only other solution is to turn the cruise control off.

Once the vehicle in front of you is completly out of your lane the cruise control move your car out very quickly.

The 85 d is a great car and i feel it's better than the 85p and just as quick so enjoy

Trip from seattle to tucson in 85d

odometer town miles energy used/miles
17 seattle 0
101 centralia 81 125
232 woodburn 131 143
311 springfield 79 89
451 grants pass 140 147
570 mt shasta 119 131
679 corning 100 109
858 manteca 179 200
957 harris ranch 129 140
1105 tejon ranch 118 133
1280 cabazon 175 197
1429 quartzite 159 205
1572 gila bend 143 170
1643 casa grande 71 111
1700 tucson 59 79

averaged about 50 miles per hr includes stops to recharge.
Drove 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit
car handles great thru the mountain areas
adaptive cruise control is good most of the time. The only frustration is once it is on you can not increase your speed until the vehicle in front of you moves completly out of your lane. That will cause some frustration for you and the people behind you who are breathing down your neck i had the adaptive cruise control set at 5 lengths. Next time i will try 3 lengths. The only other solution is to turn the cruise control off.

Once the vehicle in front of you is completly out of your lane the cruise control move your car out very quickly.

The 85 d is a great car and i feel it's better than the 85p and just as quick so enjoy

Well, you can certainly adjust from 1 to 7 whilst TACC is engaged which will allow you to speed up momentarily to close that gap some...but it won't tailgate. I can't imagine you'd want it to.

I've found that if someone's tailgating you, however, closing the gap does nothing but create a the car tailgating situation. Best to just maintain your following distance and let the anxious driver pass.

This is on for Saturday now. I'd really like to use Visible Tesla to track data but the current released version doesn't work for me and for some reason I can't get it to build properly (maybe I'll get this figured out tomorrow). So we may have to just deal with noting the numbers the car displays. We're going to try and make things as equal as possible between the two cars, but there are going to be some differences we can't account for.

Well I managed to get VisibleTesla built and it's working. So I'll at least have my VisibleTesla working to collect data from my car during the trip.

Trip complete, data and thoughts posted here:
Real World Comparison of a S85 to an 85D Efficiency

I happened upon this thread on a 6hr train ride from VA to NYC with three kids (7,7 and 9) and grumpy husband (40) and was thoroughly entertained. I read all 14 pages. Breser, you're my hero.

Awaiting my S85 delivery on April 17, that I am hoping my delivery concierge will let me switch out to an 85D. I'd pay extra for anime yellow.

Nice job sleuthing, Andy. Congrats Breser, your green 85D is an even rarer bird than GG's green P85D!
I realize that I posted this picture in the wrong thread... I happened to run into breser at the Centralia supercharger on Sunday...

IMG_0110.jpg