Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D service issues 2 month after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model S 85D in Oregon and drove it back to California. There were a few pre delivery issues that needled to be fixed. The steering wheel emblem had bubbles in it, there was a paint chip on the left passenger door, the driver door took excessive force to close, and when I was driving my car back. I noticed a pano roof creek directly above my head and it would happen on occasion. The creeping noise usually happens after about 30 mins of driving.

I brought the car in on 10 Sep to have those items fixed. They were super helpful in helping me schedule a time and to got me a loaner car. My car was ready 2 days later on 12 Sep. They weren't able to duplicate the pano creek noise. Upon inspecting the car, I noticed they patched up a paint chip on the right side and the driver door was not aligned correctly with the passenger door. I noticed the pano creek noise the next day when driving to work. I called the Service Center back and they set up car swap near my house on 13 Sep to drop off and pick up the car. On 18 Sep I received a call telling me they were unable to duplicate the creek noise. They did make the door align better with the door. I picked up my car that afternoon and noticed that the paint chip repair was not that correct color. I mentioned it to them and they told me the new blue paint was not in yet. The next day on Sat. I drove to work and the pano creek noise came back. I took a video of it and sent it to the service manager and tech. No reply from them.

I called last week to schedule another appointment for someone to ride with me again to duplicate the pano creek noise and the next available appointment in on Nov 11. I guess they must be swamped? On my original setup phone call, the lady said she wouldn't be able to schedule that long of a troubleshooting diagnostic drive with one of their techs. I'm also hearing some rattles from their driver door fix, I think I'll bring that up as well.

Overall I'm not too thrilled with Tesla's level of urgency to try to fix my issues. The pano creek noise is annoying enough during my 50 min commute that I've been driving my ICE car to work. At least that car is quiet minus the engine noise. Hopefully Tesla can fix my issues next month after 3 months of ownership.

Overall I'm not too thrilled with Tesla's level of urgency to try to fix my issues.

This is going to sound very negative... but Tesla's lack of reliability is causing the service centers to be swamped.

They have much more urgent things to fix like replacing drive units, fixing door handles that don't work, etc.

In addition, there are enough people with minor repairs like yours (you're not the only one having the problems) causing an even further backup.

Service centers are being expanded. In my part of the country, a second one opened in Houston this summer, a new one is under construction in Austin that will be several times the size of the original rented space, and one is coming in San Antonio which would have opened already if it weren't for a zoning issue that the ICE dealership interests were probably behind.

I understand pano roof creaks can be annoying, I've had that fixed several times myself, but when triaging problems I hope you would understand why that or paint chips doesn't rise to the same level of urgency as issues that affect drivability or charging.

Service centers are being expanded. In my part of the country, a second one opened in Houston this summer, a new one is under construction in Austin that will be several times the size of the original rented space, and one is coming in San Antonio which would have opened already if it weren't for a zoning issue that the ICE dealership interests were probably behind.

I understand pano roof creaks can be annoying, I've had that fixed several times myself, but when triaging problems I hope you would understand why that or paint chips doesn't rise to the same level of urgency as issues that affect drivability or charging.

And the Dallas Service Center (Farmer's Branch, technically) has secured a new location for first quarter next year that will be much bigger. Where they are right now is way too small.

It's unfortunate that anyone who spends this much money on a car has to deal with any of these issues in the first place. If service centers need to triage, then either there are too many cars with problems or there aren't enough service centers, which is also a problem. It sounds like the chickens are coming home to roost for Tesla. Sloughing off quality issues downstream to owners and service has been Tesla's Modus Operandi for three years. At some point the dominos will fall.

It's unfortunate that anyone who spends this much money on a car has to deal with any of these issues in the first place. If service centers need to triage, then either there are too many cars with problems or there aren't enough service centers, which is also a problem. It sounds like the chickens are coming home to roost for Tesla. Sloughing off quality issues downstream to owners and service has been Tesla's Modus Operandi for three years. At some point the dominos will fall.

Or maybe we can stop with the doomsday, the sky is falling rhetoric, that certain posters such as yourself seem to be pushing a lot lately. Service centers take time to scout, plan, build, staff, open. Tesla is working as fast as they can but at the end of the day it's not like they can snap their fingers and poof, a new service center appears fully staffed and ready to go. There are still very unique challenges for a car company that's still very much in it's infancy.

I'm sure I'm going to get accused of apologizing for Tesla, or whatever. It's not that I wouldn't be frustrated either or that people's frustrations are unfounded. It's that I still fail to see how very busy service centers are some sort of canary in a coal mine indicating some larger issue. I also take issue with the "lack of reliability" statement, by what metric would someone base that off of? A public internet forum? Are you serious??? I have been sucked into this idea from time to time that people posting here with issues must translate into larger problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sales are booming, consumer reports seems to have the impression that the vast majority of Tesla owners are very happy. Is it perfect? No, but people need to pipe down a bit.

And to the OP, really? Your driving your ICE because the pano roof creak is THAT annoying to you? That must be some sound to opt for the noise and such in an ICE...

I think everyone, myself included, at times just needs to inhale and exhale...

Jeff

Everyone knows that the service center network built in 2012-13 isn't enough to support 2015 level of sales and cars on the road, and the above posts show what Tesla is doing about it (with the example of one state). This expansion can't happen overnight but it appears the issue is being addressed, so I'm not sure what your point is.

I don't know of any car brand that doesn't have some creaks, squeaks, or rattles. We notice it a lot more in the Model S because there isn't engine noise or vibration as in ICE cars.

Or maybe we can stop with the doomsday, the sky is falling rhetoric, that certain posters such as yourself seem to be pushing a lot lately. Service centers take time to scout, plan, build, staff, open. Tesla is working as fast as they can but at the end of the day it's not like they can snap their fingers and poof, a new service center appears fully staffed and ready to go. There are still very unique challenges for a car company that's still very much in it's infancy.

I'm sure I'm going to get accused of apologizing for Tesla, or whatever. It's not that I wouldn't be frustrated either or that people's frustrations are unfounded. It's that I still fail to see how very busy service centers are some sort of canary in a coal mine indicating some larger issue. I also take issue with the "lack of reliability" statement, by what metric would someone base that off of? A public internet forum? Are you serious??? I have been sucked into this idea from time to time that people posting here with issues must translate into larger problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sales are booming, consumer reports seems to have the impression that the vast majority of Tesla owners are very happy. Is it perfect? No, but people need to pipe down a bit.

And to the OP, really? Your driving your ICE because the pano roof creak is THAT annoying to you? That must be some sound to opt for the noise and such in an ICE...

I think everyone, myself included, at times just needs to inhale and exhale...

Jeff

Whoa breath also, I read this as valid from the OP in that Tesla hasn't address his original issues. From everything I've seen on here they do seem to strive for friendly and strong customer service but do seem overwhelmed across the entire lifecycle from delivery to service issues. Trends, we'll see those continue to develop. Overall quality seems to have improved quite a bit; however, every so often some people get some bad apples with either build quality or mechanical issues from the start. I feel lucky at this point that my MS seems pretty solid so far.

I think you can read some level of broader issues into the service time complains and incomplete service attempts we are seeing more lately. The infrastructure is overwhelmed with this Federated service center model, something brands with mass number of dealerships don't have to worry about as much. This will eventually hurt the brand and car sales if goes too far. And yes, the car is selling well, but not that well is the scheme of car numbers goes - 13K in a quarter for Tesla, say 50K this year, out of 88+ million is niche still and if competition can offer quality/service as they come out with matching range EV products, Tesla will die off. Hopefully they can build out SCs to prevent this.

Or maybe we can stop with the doomsday, the sky is falling rhetoric, that certain posters such as yourself seem to be pushing a lot lately.

You know, TMC is a funny place. When I criticize Tesla or express empathy with someone who is having issues, I'm accused of being a harbinger of the apocalypse. When I defend Tesla or point out their side of an issue, I'm labeled a fanboy or a Tesla apologist. At the end of the day I will always stand up for the customer if their experience is less than what it should be for a car of this caliber.

Service centers take time to scout, plan, build, staff, open. Tesla is working as fast as they can but at the end of the day it's not like they can snap their fingers and poof, a new service center appears fully staffed and ready to go. There are still very unique challenges for a car company that's still very much in it's infancy.

Tesla has been at this for three years now and have told us that they are profitable on a non-GAAP basis. They also raised almost $1 billion through a recent stock sale. If the service centers are crowded now, which they are, what is going to happen when Model X starts shipping in any decent quantity? Additional service centers won't magically appear. Just as you said, service centers take time to scout, plan, build, etc. Tesla has not kept up the pace and they certainly haven't planned adequately for launching another vehicle because they haven't made any significant moves to expand the service network. That means even longer delays once Model X starts shipping, and that's not even factoring in the likelihood that initial X shipments will have plenty of initial quality concerns if history is our guide.

Consumer Reports gave the Model S only an average reliability rating, and my understanding is that the car was at risk of not making CR's recommended list due to the result of the owner surveys. My car has needed three drive unit replacements in 18,000 miles and overall the car has had far more initial quality problems than all of my other vehicles combined - which includes a 1995 Acura Integra, a 2003 VW Jetta, a 2007 Toyota Prius, and a 2010 Toyota Highlander. I'm also not the only one echoing this sentiment.

It was a bit embarrassing filling out the last CR questionnaire. I had to indicate three engine replacements for my 2013 Model S and zero engine replacements for my 2010 Highlander. When was the last time any of your previous ICE vehicles needed a new engine in less than 30,000 miles, let alone three? Granted, a drive unit is not as complex as an ICE engine, but the functionality and importance in a buyer's mind is equivalent.

I bought the car in 2013 and I knew what I was getting into. I have no complaints, what I state above is just fact with no emotion attached to it. I'm thrilled with my car, but again, I assumed there would be problems and kinks that need to be worked out. At this point in time, however, I believe buyers are not unreasonable to have higher expectations than I did two years ago. Tesla has updated the vehicles several times, launched AWD and new Model X. New customers have every reason to expect a car with fewer problems than I expected two years ago.

Last edited:
One thing that AmpedRealtor points out that I think is key and missed in the exchange above is that Tesla HQ seems content letting quality control problems survive/persist and kick it down to the service centers to address when the customer points it out. Now yes, HQ will never get everything perfect, but I personally feel there is room for improvement so these can be addressed before getting in customer hands. The Op's vehicle may have missed that (assuming the paint chip occurred in delivery) since the creaks and alignment could easily have been missed during a QC inspection process. Still, it seems that if HQ could address more of these before the cars get delivered, it would free up much availability at the SvCs, especially as the number of cars produced grows.

Just curious, where is the new Austin service center going in?

I took delivery of my Model S 85D in Oregon and drove it back to California. There were a few pre delivery issues that needled to be fixed. The steering wheel emblem had bubbles in it, there was a paint chip on the left passenger door, the driver door took excessive force to close, and when I was driving my car back. I noticed a pano roof creek directly above my head and it would happen on occasion. The creeping noise usually happens after about 30 mins of driving.

If they are unable to align the doors something maybe wrong with the chassis which also may be also causing pano to creak.
Moral of the story is not to accept delivery until issues are corrected. It goes for ICE cars as well as EVs as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Which center are you going to? I have had great luck with Sunnyvale. They are immediately responsive, even when they did a less than perfect job on my pano seal replacement, they took it right back and did a beautiful job. So far, I have only had small things go wrong and they have been great.

It was a bit embarrassing filling out the last CR questionnaire. I had to indicate three engine replacements for my 2013 Model S and zero engine replacements for my 2010 Highlander. When was the last time any of your previous ICE vehicles needed a new engine in less than 30,000 miles, let alone three? Granted, a drive unit is not as complex as an ICE engine, but the functionality and importance in a buyer's mind is equivalent.

Yeah, but did the DUs need to be replaced, or were they proactively replaced? I'd wager that if the DUs didn't fail, there is no equivalent comparison with an ICE. I mean, maybe your valves started making more noise, but you didn't notice because they're loud anyway.

DUs making unpleasant noise it unfortunate, but I don't think the direct comparison is ICE replacement.

If they are unable to align the doors something maybe wrong with the chassis which also may be also causing pano to creak.
Moral of the story is not to accept delivery until issues are corrected. It goes for ICE cars as well as EVs as well.

Problem is, creeks happen over time - they aren't immediately apparent during delivery. And besides, you have to give Tesla full payment prior to them shipping the car, so not accepting the car at delivery could be a little problematic when you've already paid for it... especially if you took a loan and are on the hook for payments. Pano creek does NOT indicate a chassis problem. Let's not cause a panic here.

Last edited: