Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$9,300 off inventory Model S 75D - end of Q3 firesale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to drive an X -- the discounts are only on very pricey models well above my self imposed limit. I'm still obsessing about $72500! My solace is that I know what I'm getting -- a well priced S 75 for what I would have spent on an S 60. That was the clincher for me.
That's another great way of looking at it. I need more reasons to buy it. lol.

I have struggled with this for months. So, I crunched the numbers and assuming that a well-equipped Model 3 will be around $60K, I figured that my S is about a $12K more than the Model 3, assuming there is still a $7500 tax credit by the time I'm able to order a Model 3. Any delays and I think the odds start shrinking rapidly. Hard to predict the future. If the tax credit is gone, the difference is about $5000. So, you get a S 75, now, and you are not having to deal with a first year model car. I'm sure the 3 will have the latest technology, for a price, but you should expect normal bugs that will have to be worked out. The S is well into the product cycle and is a very refined car. My OA said mine had only been driven by Tesla staff to a media event -- she said it was perfect. I actually believe her. The S is a big car which concerns me -- I discussed this aspect many times. Will it appear freakishly large 5 years from now, I doubt it. I love the idea of the safety that comes with a larger sedan. In the end, at 55, I'm going to take my oompa loompa now, while I'm healthy and can afford it. 1.74% for 78 mos is hard to beat -- I seriously doubt interest rates will be this low 12 to 18 mos from now. So, I've rationalized myself into the single most expensive thing I've ever bought besides a house. My warning to everyone is don't go for a test drive -- once you do, you are toast.
Lumpy--Great post. This is EXACTLY how I feel! And, I'm also 55. Too funny. I could not have said it any better. I'll be at the Tesla plant this Friday picking up my 75D. I cannot wait!!

Reactions: MountainRoad
When in the process?
Oa better than Ds to get this done?
It was when my OA sent me the invoice. I looked it over, got right back to him and asked him if he could remove it. 15 minutes later, he told me he checked with his manager, and got it approved Luckily, I immediately gave him my VISA number to hold it for me. Once it was confirmed that the car was mine, he was able to dig deeper into their system and tell me that 5 quotes had been sent out on my car in the past 4 hours. So, I never dealt with a DS.... good luck!

Reactions: MountainRoad
It was when my OA sent me the invoice. I looked it over, got right back to him and asked him if he could remove it. 15 minutes later, he told me he checked with his manager, and got it approved Luckily, I immediately gave him my VISA number to hold it for me. Once it was confirmed that the car was mine, he was able to dig deeper into their system and tell me that 5 quotes had been sent out on my car in the past 4 hours. So, I never dealt with a DS.... good luck!

I just placed my order yesterday, will talk with OA today to work out delivery details. tI probably spoke with my OA for more than an hour over several calls and texts and had worked out all the details -- this forum really helps knowing what to ask for/about!. My car had at least four inquiries/quotes, yesterday alone. I wonder, on custom order cars, do you usually have to pay both delivery of $750 if shipped and the $1250 fee? If so, that seems steep.

I have to wonder how many folks abandoned an existing in-process order to switch to an inventory car with discount? There have been mentions of this on the forums. Even ones who have to abandon $2500 deposits would be saving over keeping the order intact.

I was able to roll my deposit on a 70D for January delivery to a 75D with no problem. Got the referral discount and waiver of the $1200 delivery fee. Basically, a 75D for the price of a 60D.

Doesn't cost Tesla anything since many would have bought the 60D and not upgraded. Same profit margin for them.

Do you think that the inventory vehicles with less than 50 miles on them are used (pre-owned) and/or have had some service done to them? It's my impression that most of these inventory vehicles are new, often direct from the factory, but that the key characteristic is that they are already built and ready to be delivered before the end of the month, thus allowing Tesla to include these sales in its quarterly statements.

That said, I'm curious if others have different explanations/guesses for why Tesla is discounting these inventory cars so aggressively? Could this presage Autopilot 2.0 hardware, for example? Or could Tesla be seeking to move inventory before unveiling additional details about the Model 3? If Tesla shows that Model 3 will have far superior features compared with the current Model S, better Autopilot for example, I could see a lot of people deciding to hold off on a Model S purchase.

What do you think?
I am quite sure that this is part of Tesla's push to move 80-90K cars by the end of 2016.

Holy Cow!

I stopped by the Mt Kisco Tesla store today to inspect "my" 13+K discount, floor model, fully-optioned S75D before making the final commitment. They drove it from the Paramus store, so it is up to 100 miles from 60 previously. Paramus must have the most well-behaved clientele on the planet because the car looks immaculate, inside and out. Even the driver's seat appears never to have been sat in. (One OA hinted that they might be swapping out front seats on some of the demo cars)

I did gain a bit more insight into why it might be so deeply discounted. It was originally an S70D that was upgraded to S75D. The rear badge still says S70D ( they said they will change it). Perhaps the discounting algorithm saw it as an aging S70D that had been "sitting on the lot" for months. Any any case, what a break.

Another interesting thing is that my OA confirmed that they *will* waive the destination and doc fees for the car, in spite of what the manager previously said. Bottom line is with the standard 6000 down and taxes up front, the monthly payment for a 10K mi/year 24 month lease is $635. This is astounding for a $99,200 MSRP car. In contrast, the on-line lease calculator shows $1200+ for a 36 month lease.

Financing application just approved so I will pick up the car this week.

Holy Cow!

I stopped by the Mt Kisco Tesla store today to inspect "my" 13+K discount, floor model, fully-optioned S75D before making the final commitment. They drove it from the Paramus store, so it is up to 100 miles from 60 previously. Paramus must have the most well-behaved clientele on the planet because the car looks immaculate, inside and out. Even the driver's seat appears never to have been sat in. (One OA hinted that they might be swapping out front seats on some of the demo cars)

I did gain a bit more insight into why it might be so deeply discounted. It was originally an S70D that was upgraded to S75D. The rear badge still says S70D ( they said they will change it). Perhaps the discounting algorithm saw it as an aging S70D that had been "sitting on the lot" for months. Any any case, what a break.

Another interesting thing is that my OA confirmed that they *will* waive the destination and doc fees for the car, in spite of what the manager previously said. Bottom line is with the standard 6000 down and taxes up front, the monthly payment for a 10K mi/year 24 month lease is $635. This is astounding for a $99,200 MSRP car. In contrast, the on-line lease calculator shows $1200+ for a 36 month lease.

Financing application just approved so I will pick up the car this week.
Congrats. Great insights.

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new inventory Model S 75. I'll be picking it up tomorrow at the factory. Any tips when I get there?

Tips:
- Enjoy it! Delivery was very easy and only required a few signatures and no tons of paperwork like normal car dealerships.
- Take lots of pictures.
- Get ready to drive everywhere. Any time there is a group, they will want you to drive.
- Have you thought about any accessories, charging options, etc?

Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks Erik

Reactions: 1tsla
Tips:
- Enjoy it! Delivery was very easy and only required a few signatures and no tons of paperwork like normal car dealerships.
- Take lots of pictures.
- Get ready to drive everywhere. Any time there is a group, they will want you to drive.

Thanks Erik
Which accessories would you recommend beyond charging equipment?

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new inventory Model S 75. I'll be picking it up tomorrow at the factory. Any tips when I get there?

Check your documents! They gave me a 24 month lease instead of a 36 month least (they corrected when I pointed it out a few days later), and they mileage was listed as 50 but turned out to be around 250. Factory tour is definitely worth doing. The people that walk you through the car know some basics but that's about it... they gave me several wrong answers.

There are knowledgeable people there that can answer everything though you'll have to ask around the tent to find them. You'll want to spend some time playing with the car yourself before leaving.

I drove down the coast as my first drive. Highly recommended!

Reactions: SD_Engnr and ggnykk
Tips:
- Take lots of pictures.

Thanks Erik

Thank you! I'm excited. I still don't know much but I might like to change the wheels and put some type of protection on the car like the film or coating. possibly tint as well. It will be my daily commuter so I don't want to do too much to it.

As far as charging, I don't know much about it yet. I won't drive it too much for the next couple of weeks but fortunately I have a SC 2 minutes away that I can use in emergency cases.

Check your documents! They gave me a 24 month lease instead of a 36 month least (they corrected when I pointed it out a few days later), and they mileage was listed as 50 but turned out to be around 250. Factory tour is definitely worth doing. The people that walk you through the car know some basics but that's about it... they gave me several wrong answers.

There are knowledgeable people there that can answer everything though you'll have to ask around the tent to find them. You'll want to spend some time playing with the car yourself before leaving.

I drove down the coast as my first drive. Highly recommended!

I did think about the mileage already. It said less than 50 but they moved it from a dealership back to the factory so I don't know how many miles there truly will be. Did you say something when you found out about the mileage? What did they say?

If all goes to plan, the electrician comes at 8am tomorrow morning to install the Nema outlet. At 9:30am I pick up a one way car rental and drive to Fremont. Factory tour and car pickup at 3pm. The tips in the thread have been helpful. Sounds like Tesla staff will be very busy, but I watched all the intro/support videos so hopefully I'll be good to go. My lease docs look correct, and I'll inspect the vehicle closely and take lots of pics. Thanks!

Which accessories would you recommend beyond charging equipment?

Thank you! I'm excited. I still don't know much but I might like to change the wheels and put some type of protection on the car like the film or coating. possibly tint as well. It will be my daily commuter so I don't want to do too much to it.

As far as charging, I don't know much about it yet. I won't drive it too much for the next couple of weeks but fortunately I have a SC 2 minutes away that I can use in emergency cases.

Off the main topic, but here is a "short" list (LOL) of what I bought/did...
- Blackvue 650 camera
- Chrome delete (wrapped, then removed and painted)
- Nano-fusion film from A pillar forward and some spots around the back end
- Opti-coat on the exterior, interior, and glass
- Ceramic tint
- Abstract ocean replacement light set 13+4
- Rear trunk cargo holder
- Glass screen protector on the two screens (hydrophobic and oleophobic)
- Supplies to hand wash the car (bucket, microfibers, optimum)
- Cable manager for the wall
- Adapter set for roadtrips
- Twin mattress
- T-Sportline rims
- T-Sportline spoiler
- Upgraded pedals
- All weather floor mats
- There are probably some things I am missing. The list grew quite long...

Thanks Erik