Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 percent charge low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi i have 9k miles on my Tesla model 3 standard range plus and I got it in June. When I charge it to 90 percent I get 204 mi. Is this normal. I took it into too tesla when I was getting 209 mi and they said it's how I drive that's why it's charges only to 209 this was when I had about 3k miles on it. Since then I haven't really driven it hard mostly freeway driving ac speed around 3. Is this normal 204 mile 90 percent charge. I don't wanna keep bothering tesla service if this is normal. Thanks

Hi i have 9k miles on my Tesla model 3 standard range plus and I got it in June. When I charge it to 90 percent I get 204 mi. Is this normal. I took it into too tesla when I was getting 209 mi and they said it's how I drive that's why it's charges only to 209 this was when I had about 3k miles on it. Since then I haven't really driven it hard mostly freeway driving ac speed around 3. Is this normal 204 mile 90 percent charge. I don't wanna keep bothering tesla service if this is normal. Thanks

There have been so many complaints about battery degradation / range loss so some Service Centers start to charge for a diagnostic / inspection visit.

That's because even if something is wrong with your range, Tesla is not legally obligated to fix it until there's a loss of more than 30% because of the warranty.

That's one reason why people buy longer range because the warranty only covers 70% capacity.

If you are worried about the decreasing miles on your battery gauge please make sure you charge your car to 90% as often as you can.

When you want to compare miles lost, you should compare at 100% full charge and not partial charge. Make sure you drive away so the gauge drops back to 90% because leaving at full charge for long is not good.

It’s not how you drive it because I drive my plus on average hard. Southern Cal speeds average around 75-80mph. The Tesla doesn’t have the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) like the Leaf has, I owned a 2011 Leaf for many years so I know. So I came here to this forum to learn that what the Tesla Rep told you is incorrect.

90% for me is still 215-216 miles on my SR+, 10,000 miles now with a March 2019 build, and at 100% 239-240 miles. Have you been charging at 70% or under? From what I have been reading and also a YouTuber that has over 55,000 miles his charging methods are 30%-70% and he took a hit also, he recalibrated the battery by going down to under 20% and back to 100% 3x and that corrected the problem. Give that a try and report back.

Fred

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and dani
It’s not how you drive it because I drive my plus on average hard. Southern Cal speeds average around 75-80mph. The Tesla doesn’t have the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) like the Leaf has, I owned a 2011 Leaf for many years so I know. So I came here to this forum to learn that what the Tesla Rep told you is incorrect.

90% for me is still 215-216 miles on my SR+, 10,000 miles now with a March 2019 build, and at 100% 239-240 miles. Have you been charging at 70% or under? From what I have been reading and also a YouTuber that has over 55,000 miles his charging methods are 30%-70% and he took a hit also, he recalibrated the battery by going down to under 20% and back to 100% 3x and that corrected the problem. Give that a try and report back.

Fred
thanks I charge to 90percent. I drained the battery to under 20 and back to 100 but only once I'll give it another shot . thanks