Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D 5 seater and just received my VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Harry C and @faktor I just got a private email from Jon McNeil at TM who said that EU 5 seat VINs were actually originally 5 seat reservists who upgraded to 6-7 seat cars. Can you both confirm that you were assigned VIN for a 5 seat version, or upgraded to 6 or 7 seat versions. Perhaps a screen shot of your configuration and VIN page would go a ways to confirm what you ordered, as TM is denying that any 5 seaters have made it to VIN assignments, and certainly not into production line....Now I'm disappointed at either Tesla, or you guys in Europe....

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
Haha I guess your TM is guessing. I didnt upgrade to 6 or 7 seater

Attachments

• 20160608_085154.jpg
    20160608_085154.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 156
That does not prove you had a VIN assigned. I can print my config too, but I don't have a VIN. Something is not quite right on the Euro 5 seat VINs. Check out this email exchange I had yesterday with Jon McNeill, head of Tesla Global Sales....email addresses "X"d out for privacy.

Sent: June 07, 2016 11:30 AM
To: Jonathan <jon@xxxxx>; buildmyx <[email protected]>; xxxxsales <[email protected]>
Cc: Kasey <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Model X 90D 5 seat update for RN4054XXX

Hi Jonathan —

Thanks for your note. You’re clearly passionate about Tesla and we’re very grateful.

The VINs you reference changed their seating configuration from 5 seats to 6 or 7 seats. I’ll make certain to write you when production begins on the 5-seaters.

All my best,

Jon

Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 10:10 AM
To: buildmyx <[email protected]>, xxxxsales <xxxxxs[email protected]>
Cc: Jon McNeill <xxxxxxx@tesla.com>, Elon Musk <xxxxxxxxxxx@teslamotors.com>
Subject: RE: Model X 90D 5 seat update for RN4054XXX

Never heard from any of you regarding below from 3 months ago. To now summarize:

VIN numbers for 5 seaters have been released last Monday/Tuesday to at least one order in Czech Republic and another in Netherlands, according to modelxtracker.com but none for USA.

When confirmed in January 2016, I was told to expect mid-2016 delivery of USA 5 seat MX. It is now “mid-2016.” Can you tell me if USA production of 5-seaters will occur on the assembly line at same time as EU versions, or if there is some regulatory hold-up, design hold-up, contrained parts, or some other reason to not expect assignment of a VIN and assembly of my 5 seat 90D MX sometime within the next few weeks? Thanks so much, and love this car, can’t wait till it’s in my garage here in Denver. Again, my sincere appreciation for someone to respond to this, as the Denver DS has no idea what is going on.

Jonathan

That does not prove you had a VIN assigned. I can print my config too, but I don't have a VIN. Something is not quite right on the Euro 5 seat VINs. Check out this email exchange I had yesterday with Jon McNeill, head of Tesla Global Sales....email addresses "X"d out for privacy.

To: Jonathan <jon@xxxxx>; buildmyx <[email protected]>; xxxxsales <[email protected]>

Hi Jonathan —

Thanks for your note. You’re clearly passionate about Tesla and we’re very grateful.

The VINs you reference changed their seating configuration from 5 seats to 6 or 7 seats. I’ll make certain to write you when production begins on the 5-seaters.

All my best,

Jon

Never heard from any of you regarding below from 3 months ago. To now summarize:

VIN numbers for 5 seaters have been released last Monday/Tuesday to at least one order in Czech Republic and another in Netherlands, according to modelxtracker.com but none for USA.

When confirmed in January 2016, I was told to expect mid-2016 delivery of USA 5 seat MX. It is now “mid-2016.” Can you tell me if USA production of 5-seaters will occur on the assembly line at same time as EU versions, or if there is some regulatory hold-up, design hold-up, contrained parts, or some other reason to not expect assignment of a VIN and assembly of my 5 seat 90D MX sometime within the next few weeks? Thanks so much, and love this car, can’t wait till it’s in my garage here in Denver. Again, my sincere appreciation for someone to respond to this, as the Denver DS has no idea what is going on.

Jonathan
It's a shame he didn't answer your question(s) regarding the delay in 5 seat production.

Hi Jonathan —

All my best,

Jon

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan —

All my best,

Jon

Jonathan

5YJXCCE24GF0095XX is my VIN and sorry but i am not stupid. Of course i don't know if TM made a mistake but i didnt change my configuration. So we will see

5YJXCCE24GF0095XX is my VIN and sorry but i am not stupid. Of course i don't know if TM made a mistake but i didnt change my configuration. So we will see
@Harry C I never called you stupid, so no need for such accusation...not my style. I am just seeking information and clarity as TM said what appeared to be the polar opposite of your information. Something is incorrect between the opposing statements. I am not playing judge, just seeking to understand where VINs are being divied out, and reading tea leaves to help plan for when I might see my VIN/Delivery. Thank you again for posting your config screen and VIN.

Reactions: Scoopup and Harry C
@jsollender I was hoping you would get back with your Tesla source with the VIN and get the straight scoop. Did you instead just change to a 6 seat configuration? Please don't leave your US five seaters with an unresolved question. :) All your help is appreciated. It would be huge if they really have the five seat configuration in production.

@jsollender I was hoping you would get back with your Tesla source with the VIN and get the straight scoop. Did you instead just change to a 6 seat configuration? Please don't leave your US five seaters with an unresolved question. :) All your help is appreciated. It would be huge if they really have the five seat configuration in production.
My source? President of Global Sales & Service at Tesla Motors. I was asked not to disclose our details. I spoke later yesterday to one of his senior colleagues and was happier with the prospects of the update arriving by end of July instead of ???
Don't think I'm a traitor. I just want a mid-2016 delivery, thus 6 seat swapparoo

My source? President of Global Sales & Service at Tesla Motors. I was asked not to disclose our details. I spoke later yesterday to one of his senior colleagues and was happier with the prospects of the update arriving by end of July instead of ???
Don't think I'm a traitor. I just want a mid-2016 delivery, thus 6 seat swapparoo
I totally understand....I don't think you a traitor. It is too bad Tesla won't share the same information publicly with everyone.:(

either there is an error in the VIN decoder or you got upgraded to a 6 seater...

In fact there DOES seem to be an error in the decoder.. changing that digit from B to C does not change anything.. it continues to choose "C" even when you enter "B".. as you can see my VIN is 5YJXCBE29GF007XX and is ordered as a 6 seater.. I may be wrong, but I suspect that for that 6th character, A= 7 seat, B= 6 seat, C= 5 seat.

In fact... even when you use the NHTSA decoder at Welcome to VIN Decoding :: provided by vPIC the thing does not "like" a "C" at the 6th position and changes it back to a "B"

The source doc for VIN decoder seems to be this.. ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG11230.pdf it references model X at the top and in the footer it says model S... and it does not reference three different codes for the 6th digit!

Summarize.. something isn't right here ;-0

Last edited:
  • Informative
5 seat option delay until next year?

At my local SC they told me production of 5 seat model starts in the last quarter of the year and the don't expect to arrive any cars in europe before 2017 and I should expect it will happen in march 2017:(o_O

long time since reservation in summer 2014...o_O