Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D AP1 -> 100D AP2 for $17k. Yay or nay?

Yay or nay?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have money to burn do it. If not, you're giving up a great AP1 for a mediocre AP2. I don't know if there will EVER be parity.

Personally, I'd just wait for another 1-2 years when there is truly something to gain. You can bet there will be improvements all around in 1-2 years.

If you are a huge Tesla fan and you simply want to make a "donation" to Tesla for the $17k and get a marginally useful upgrade (potentially downgrade for AP), do it. I bet your 8 month car still has the new car smell so emotional satisfaction will be limited.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would do it though, I'd rather spend that money on a first class trip to Europe. Or use that money for a solar array if you don't already have it.

Do you have a source for the fact that the 100 kWh packs don't have a SpC/DC fast charging counter?

@andrewket, the discussion topic is 69 pages long and I don't think anybody mentioned any other battery size other than the 90 kWh as having a DC charge counter. Therefore my conclusion is, only the 90 has the counter.

Similarly, I have never seen Trump speak German or Japanese. Therefore my conclusion is, he doesn't speak these languages. If you ask me to prove that, I can't prove it but if there wasn't a single instance, I'm most likely correct.

Last edited:
@andrewket, the discussion topic is 69 pages long and I don't think anybody mentioned any other battery size other than the 90 kWh as having a DC charge counter. Therefore my conclusion is, only the 90 has the counter.

Similarly, I have never seen Trump speak German or Japanese. Therefore my conclusion is that he doesn't speak these languages. If you ask me to prove that he doesn't speak these languages, I can't prove that but if there wasn't a single instance, I'm most likely correct.

The 100's have only been out since ~9/2016. It would be challenging (although not impossible) to have a 100 car >300 DC charge cycles. That may be the only reason we haven't seen it.

I don't know all the details of the two cars. Assuming they are the same in every way, other than what you mentioned, I don't think you can wrong with deciding either way. You have a great car, and you can trade it for another great car at a very good price. It sounds like the upgrade price likely is buying back the 90's depreciation at a discount, and that eases the sting of taking another depreciation hit. AP2 is nowhere near maxed out in capability, so you're probably doing alright on the upgrade. In all likelihood, the 100 will have ultimately better resale value than the 90.

I'd say that you're getting good value for your money. It's just a matter of whether you want to spend it on a new car, something else, or nothing at all at the moment.

I would say nay if it's for the purposes of getting ap2 vs ap1. I did the same thing, a 12k upgrade for a new 90d ap2. I also felt ton push the trigger because I thought free supercharging was going to end. It's better to wait especially if your ap1 car had good features to begin with. With the model 3 coming out, they'll put out more incentives or add more upgrades for people to buy the model s in the future.

I upgraded mine and could't be happier.

I purchased a facelift Model S 90D AP 1.0 on June 3rd, 2016. Once I saw AP 2.0 come out I knew I would want to upgrade, but the question became when. When I saw the AP 2.0 cars first hand I started listing my AP 1.0 and sold it January 28th, 2017. I had already ordered a 90D AP 2.0 on December 31st, 2016 but then the 100D came out and I decided to change my order to the 100D and took delivery of my AP 2.0 car on March 20th. Best choice ever. IMO AP 2.0 is basically the same level as my AP 1.0 was (just missing auto wipers & perpendicular parking) but the AP 2.0 will just continue getting better and adding new functionality whereas the AP 1.0 cars are basically maxed out on functionality.

17k to upgrade isn't bad. I ended up paying around 27k to upgrade (I did buy FSD but otherwise they had the same options). My AP 1.0 car was ~8 months old and had ~12,000 miles when I sold it.

Thanks Erik

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Depends on the Model S. Mine was $155,000 and is basically the same car as a $35,000 Model 3, at least supposedly. Comes out to 22%. I can guarantee the Model 3 will not be 82% worse than my car.

Tesla are making it VERY clear that no Model 3 will be essentially the same as any Model S, much less a P Model S, and you know that. You may as well say that a BMW 1 Series is a smaller, nimbler, 7 Series. Granted, it's not like comparing apples to oranges, but it's getting pretty close to comparing limes to grapefruit.

And, with that, I'll stop sending billy goats to their death under the bridge.

Depends on the Model S. Mine was $155,000 and is basically the same car as a $35,000 Model 3, at least supposedly. Comes out to 22%. I can guarantee the Model 3 will not be 82% worse than my car.
If you truly believe that a P100D and base M3 are basically the same car, then you must agree that a base S75 is also the same, therefore are you willing to trade your P100D for a new base S75? Think about it, you get to upgrade to basically the same car but BRAND NEW, and FOR FREE!

PS> You may want to speak with your insurance company to get a discount on your insurance if you're willing to take a base Model 3 as a full claim in case your P100D is totaled.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
The car is the same in it's most critical functions. Both M3 and MS will be awesome EV drive-trains with EAP/FSD. Both will free you from the gas pump. If M3 was available, I would have 100% bought it over the P100D, especially knowing what I know now, that Ludicrious mode was just a $10k donation to Tesla without any major performance improvement. (It has been degraded substantially in recent firmware.) The added range of the 100D can be nice for road trips, but SC is too slow to be practical for those of us where time costs a premium.

The P100D drives like a dog other than its acceleration, it is NOT a sports car, just a fast sedan. It's not even a luxury car. Next time I'll have my cake and eat it too with a cheap Tesla for commute and an actual sports car for play. The P100D is just average in my opinion, not worth more than $60k in my estimation.

Plus, Model 3 will be like MS v2.0. Of course Elon is playing it down now so he can dump MS prior to launch, which will depreciate substantially as soon as M3 starts rolling. Hard for me to imagine the M3 will be any less classy or luxurious or have a lower build quality than the MS, since the MS isn't that great to start with. It can't get worse as Tesla gets more experience making cars.

M3 >>> MS

...and YES, there will be a performance version.

• Love
When I read that he was trading for 17k I thought I would give it a shot. I have a classic 2016 90D with 17,000 miles, White with grey interior. It has autopilot, air suspension and sunroof, with upgraded interior. I have Xpel on the front end and the whole car has Opti coat. It is perfect and today Tesla offered me 65k on trade for a 100D. I'm a Porsche guy, I own 2 now and I have never lost 40k in 1 year on a Porsche. This tells me if you want a Tesla you better plan on driving it a long long time to get your money's worth.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: oktane and mbhforum
When I read that he was trading for 17k I thought I would give it a shot. I have a classic 2016 90D with 17,000 miles, White with grey interior. It has autopilot, air suspension and sunroof, with upgraded interior. I have Xpel on the front end and the whole car has Opti coat. It is perfect and today Tesla offered me 65k on trade for a 100D. I'm a Porsche guy, I own 2 now and I have never lost 40k in 1 year on a Porsche. This tells me if you want a Tesla you better plan on driving it a long long time to get your money's worth.
With cars you usually drop 2 year's worth of depreciation when you drive off the lot. It has a lot to do with the profit the dealer makes on the car, or in Tesla's case the cost to manufacture (and the fact that it's a custom order). Check your trade in value after another year, oh, and do not include any aftermarket upgrades like tinting or coatings - those are actually worth negative on a trade in as they will have to strip those to make it a CPO.

This thread inspired me to consider trading in my 15 85D with 14k miles for a new 75D. Vroom offered me 60k and a new 75D with the options and after my rebate would be around 77k. So basically, it would cost me the same, 17k to upgrade. However, I just got my CPO 4 months ago and I can't stomach taking an 11k hit on it. I would be gaining the new facelift (which I really like better) and AP2, but losing extra range, Sunroof (I am fine with the glass roof), Supercharging for life (which I don't anticipate ever using) and Cold Weather Package (I didn't use it much this winter).

• Informative
Nay would be my vote, as there are some major updates coming soon (2170 batteries - longer life, lighter, faster 0-60, faster charging etc.) that will make all current MS/MX owners feel like their cars suddenly took a big hit. If they are making all M3s with 2170 cells, it would be just a matter of time before MS/MX get the new cells. 100D is rather too heavy and the current MS safety testings gave the MS not so high a rating for that particular model (likely due to body not designed for that weight).

My take: enjoy AP1 for another 2-3yrs, by then the MS would be offering better battery, AP3, higher range and faster 0-60 all at a lower pricing than today (they have to be lower to stay competitive).

I'm equating a base model 3 to a base model S. Apples to apples. I'm sure a P75D model 3 would be closer to 70k when all optioned up...maybe more.