Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D AP1 -> 100D AP2 for $17k. Yay or nay?

Yay or nay?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the opportunity to trade in my 8 month old 90D AP1 for a new 100D AP2 for $17k.

On the one hand it's a great opportunity to trade up without the typical huge depreciation, but on the other hand the 90D AP1 is a phenomenal car already and $17k is a chunk of change.

Differences I can think of:
  • Although AP2 is a bit janky right now for my liking, it has huge potential. AP1 is as good as its going to get.
  • 100D has nicer seats (subjective, but the newer seats are slightly less bucketed and a touch softer - I prefer them).
  • 90D has matt obeche trim which isn't available anymore - I much prefer it.
  • Currently have pano roof - could pay $2k less and go for glass roof - also very nice - I'm 50:50, opinions welcome.
  • Currently have extended warranty, would not transfer to new car.
  • 90D has free SC, resell of 100D will not (may be moot since *I* get free SC with the 100D if I replace with another Tesla down the road)
I'm curious what the consensus is - worth it or not?

Also, how much would you pay for this marginal upgrade?

I would do it. I purchased my P90D for $108k in Nov 2016, saves me about $35k as it was during the transition from the 90s to the 100s. If the difference was just $17k at the time I would have gone with the more advanced model.

I have the opportunity to trade in my 8 month old 90D AP1 for a new 100D AP2 for $17k.

On the one hand it's a great opportunity to trade up without the typical huge depreciation, but on the other hand the 90D AP1 is a phenomenal car already and $17k is a chunk of change.

Differences I can think of:
  • Although AP2 is a bit janky right now for my liking, it has huge potential. AP1 is as good as its going to get.
  • 100D has nicer seats (subjective, but the newer seats are slightly less bucketed and a touch softer - I prefer them).
  • 90D has matt obeche trim which isn't available anymore - I much prefer it.
  • Currently have pano roof - could pay $2k less and go for glass roof - also very nice - I'm 50:50, opinions welcome.
  • Currently have extended warranty, would not transfer to new car.
  • 90D has free SC, resell of 100D will not (may be moot since *I* get free SC with the 100D if I replace with another Tesla down the road)
I'm curious what the consensus is - worth it or not?

Also, how much would you pay for this marginal upgrade?

While the extended warranty won't transfer, it is fully refundable if you haven't entered the extended period.

Don't forget the $7500 tax credit.

Also, if you have a loan, make sure you compare rates.

But yes, it's a good deal.

@honeycrisp The glass panoramic roof is awesome, I would very highly recommend that. Also, Tesla has said they make about a dozen tweaks to their manufacturing line a week for Model S, minor improvements, but definitely something that's comforting and would be great.

Also, there's also been speculation that Tesla is beginning to make cars with their newer 2170 battery cells which degrade less than half as much as the old ones. There's a good chance your car may have these, and in my eyes, this is as huge as the autopilot upgradesthe

AP2 will be amazing once the updates roll out. And think of it, once the real updates come out, AP1 cars will depreciate a lot faster. Also for what it's worth, I also like the newer seats a LOT.

In addition, keep in mind that the $7,500 tax credit and $1000 off with referral code could lower the difference more. I have a code I'm looking to get used since I'm only 1 away from a cool big prize, and as an unrelated bonus, I have custom Model S floormats that I have but can't use since I traded to Model X. If you end up going ahead with a purchase, I'd welcome you to the mats if you wanted! If you were open to using the code too that'd be awesome! In any case, good luck and if you need my code it's My Tesla Referral Code

@honeycrisp The glass panoramic roof is awesome, I would very highly recommend that. Also, Tesla has said they make about a dozen tweaks to their manufacturing line a week for Model S, minor improvements, but definitely something that's comforting and would be great.

Also, there's also been speculation that Tesla is beginning to make cars with their newer 2170 battery cells which degrade less than half as much as the old ones. There's a good chance your car may have these, and in my eyes, this is as huge as the autopilot upgradesthe

AP2 will be amazing once the updates roll out. And think of it, once the real updates come out, AP1 cars will depreciate a lot faster. Also for what it's worth, I also like the newer seats a LOT.

In addition, keep in mind that the $7,500 tax credit and $1000 off with referral code could lower the difference more. I have a code I'm looking to get used since I'm only 1 away from a cool big prize, and as an unrelated bonus, I have custom Model S floormats that I have but can't use since I traded to Model X. If you end up going ahead with a purchase, I'd welcome you to the mats if you wanted! If you were open to using the code too that'd be awesome! In any case, good luck and if you need my code it's My Tesla Referral Code

He can refer himself.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It comes down to whether you wish to trade in your iPhone 6 for a 7 because of the newer functionality. But imagine a 7 being released with tech not on par with the 6 but with promises of updates coming and 'eventual' parity and beyond?
Ha. I would expect apple stock to plummet with such open display of arrogance in releasing such a product.

With Tesla they seem to be operating under a whole new shift in consumer expectations.

I also own a 16' S90D AP1 and have thought many times about upgrading to a current 100D but it always seemed to come down to being happy with what we have and waiting for what would be available 2-3 yrs from now when S likely undergoes a radical re-design. (8-9 yrs design lifecycle). Also I'd like to at least amortize my down payment and ensure I reach a positive equity inflection point before trading or selling.

Whose to say Tesla doesn't come out with AP3? Wouldn't that be interesting?

My rationale is stay the course and save the $ until EAP or FSD become something way better. You invested a lot of $ into it and you may surprised next year with maybe a 110D and a whole slew of interior upgrades and changes. There will always be something redone every quarter to refresh or slightly modify. Rumour is S receiving a more detailed interior refresh coinciding with the M3 launch. I'd wait at least for that before ordering a new 100D and be antiquated yet again.

If and when FSD actually occurs, one can always sell their car and upgrade. I'm sure EAP will supersede AP1 any month now but truthfully I use AP only 5% of my drive.

Yes, you should upgrade and here are some other reasons you might not have thought about before:
  • The 90D will be discontinued soon. My best guess is within 3 months. Soon it will become the old model that is already discontinued.
  • The 90D has 294 miles EPA rated range. The Model 3 75D is expected to have 297 mi EPA rated range. If you upgrade, your car will have more range than the Model 3 75D which will become the most common Tesla in a short time. Otherwise, it won't.
  • The 90 kWh (only the 90 kWh, not the 60,70,75 or 100 kWh) has something called Supercharger counter, or to be more accurate DC fast charging counter because the count also includes Cademo charge sessions. When the count reaches a certain number (believed to be 300), the car is permanently restricted to lower Supercharge and Chademo rates. Check out this video and this discussion topic. This problem doesn't exist in the 100 kWh battery.

Last edited:
First off there needs to be more break down on your $17K increase. I find this hard to believe it is just $17K. It should be more than that unless you bought the car and never drove it.

If it was only $17K for the increase I say ask yourself if the typical 40-50 miles increase in range, slightly faster supercharging, and other nice interior upgrade, new autopilot, worth the $17K.

For me it would be worth it. But that is just me. However I doubt the upgrade cost is just $17K unless like I said before you just let it sit in the driveway this whole time.

The $17k is all in, including sales tax, registration, rebates - it's my final out of pocket cost of the upgrade.

I'm not at all bothered about how much better the next-gen S will be (2170 cells, AP3, 120D, new interior etc). I plan on keeping the car (either current or new) for at least 7 years so many of these improvements are going to pass me by anyway. My comparison is purely late 2016 S90D vs mid 2017 S100D.

A lot of good thoughts and nice opinions, thanks for all the votes and comments. I'm currently leaning towards 100D with glass roof, but I have a few days yet to decide.

• The 90 kWh (only the 90 kWh, not the 60,70,75 or 100 kWh) has something called Supercharger counter, or to be more accurate DC fast charging counter because the count also includes Cademo charge sessions. When the count reaches a certain number (believed to be 300), the car is permanently restricted to lower Supercharge and Chademo rates. Check out this video and this discussion topic. This problem doesn't exist in the 100 kWh battery.

Do you have a source for the fact that the 100 kWh packs don't have a SpC/DC fast charging counter?