Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D cold temperature behavior - triable batter performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought my 2016 Model X D90. The car is in good shape and our first long trip was in cold weather: 10F with high winds. After supercharge, the car has 249 miles on the road and the route to our destination was 74 miles. I drove with no traffic or climbing at 60-68 mph almost the entire time on autopilot. When I arrived at my destination, the car was only showing 82 miles. That is more than 2 (!!!) times less than predicted.
Can you tell me if this is normal behavior for this temperature.

Attachments

• 864AE189-5CD8-4E95-8B1A-0FA8B38D6839.jpeg
    864AE189-5CD8-4E95-8B1A-0FA8B38D6839.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 133A8C07-37AE-4E77-89DD-7D5A20FC18BF.jpeg
    133A8C07-37AE-4E77-89DD-7D5A20FC18BF.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 62
  • AFA8D54B-279A-476F-AAB8-F09E1AC85147.jpeg
    AFA8D54B-279A-476F-AAB8-F09E1AC85147.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 59
It's possible, especially if you didn't pre-warm the vehicle. That also warms up the battery pack, which takes a lot of energy in these cold temperatures. The idea is to turn on the climate control in your vehicle while it's still connected to shore power a couple hours maybe even three before you leave.

A question though, in the picture that shows the 249 mi Max range, it also shows that the vehicle is not charged up all the way. Did you let it get charged to 100% before you left? Otherwise it would only have given you the amount of miles that were actually charged, not the potential full mileage. Although, looking carefully again, maybe the screen doesn't work like it used to. I guess I haven't paid close attention in a while!

The main point though is that the EPA estimated range is hardly ever real world. On my vehicle I'm about 15% less than what they say. I think that's pretty standard across the board, but certainly doesn't get to your issue. Wind is also a major factor. If you had a headwind of 20 to 30 mph, that could do it as well. The best thing is to use the trip meter under the energy app on the main screen. That will give you the best estimate of how much juice you'll have left when you get to your destination. Also, change your display from miles to percentage. It's a much more useful metric! It also doesn't drive you crazy trying to calculate EPA miles and distance.

Just bought my 2016 Model X D90. The car is in good shape and our first long trip was in cold weather: 10F with high winds. After supercharge, the car has 249 miles on the road and the route to our destination was 74 miles. I drove with no traffic or climbing at 60-68 mph almost the entire time on autopilot. When I arrived at my destination, the car was only showing 82 miles. That is more than 2 (!!!) times less than predicted.
Sounds pretty normal to me. It helps, if you are plugged in to shore power, if you can turn on Climate Control for a couple of hours before you leave, especially when it is very cold. But @10º F, range will be far less than predicted. That is the nature of the beast. Newer cars are better, but the hit from cold is very significant.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla

It’s not impossible but it seems high.

Your experience occurred during one of the coldest evenings in the past 10 years in the New York/Northeast area. I’d say this is normal consumption with the windchill so far below zero and a significant head winds

Will be a lot better In higher temperatures

Looks like you have the 20 inch wheels. It would’ve been even worse with 22s

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Your experience occurred during one of the coldest evenings in the past 10 years in the New York/Northeast area. I’d say this is normal consumption with the windchill so far below zero and a significant head winds

Will be a lot better In higher temperatures

Looks like you have the 20 inch wheels. It would’ve been even worse with 22s
Thank you for reply. Just couriers - how did you figure out 20” wheels? By pic on the screen? Indeed- not the best day to make my first long range trip on EV )))
Thanks all for your reply’s. Will wait warm weather. And miss my trade-in Lexus (just little bi) :)

EPA for new 90D was 257mi. Your screenshot shows 249 for ~85% so that's not possible
For this age of the car u won't even get 249 at 100%... something doesn't add up
Did u set ur display to 'ideal' miles?

I can tell u for sure based on my 2016 90D that u'll get ~1.5mi/% in very cold winter weather.

74mi is about 50%
per ur screenshots, seems like 85>30 so 55%
i see no problems with ur car

Reactions: ElectricIAC
EPA for new 90D was 257mi. Your screenshot shows 249 for ~85% so that's not possible
For this age of the car u won't even get 249 at 100%... something doesn't add up

I can tell u for sure based on my 2016 90D that u'll get ~1.5mi/% in very cold winter weather.

74mi is about 50%
It’s wild how much more efficient the Raven cars are. Our Standard Range (Raven w 75D pack) gets about the same in cold weather.

Reactions: brainhouston

74mi is about 50%
Yes - mileage was set to “ideal” and I change it to “projected“ now based on last 30 miles. I charge my car to 50% and it’s showing 112 mi projected range. This mean real milage for my car will be ~ 225 with 100% charge? Also what the average Watt/mile usage should be? I never see on display anything below 350. But mostly this is around 380 with ideal condition. Start/stop in the City going higher above 380.

Yes - mileage was set to “ideal” and I change it to “projected“ now based on last 30 miles. I charge my car to 50% and it’s showing 112 mi projected range. This mean real milage for my car will be ~ 225 with 100% charge? Also what the average Watt/mile usage should be? I never see on display anything below 350. But mostly this is around 380 with ideal condition. Start/stop in the City going higher above 380.
i get 370-380 in the winter on 20in wheels, 400-420 on 22s
in summer its about 350 on 20s.
its all heavily dependent on your foot n top speed.

i just had a best trip on the way to work in 45deg weather almost matching EPA. key was driving 65mph n below.
this was 331Wh/mi (epa is 324)
1676130906272.png

1676130928569.png

66 and blower on 3-4 for best energy saving, helps If you pre condition.
i always set mine to 69-70 with 3-4 fan speed
i consistently get less than epa for 'climate' consumption as u can see in above screen shot
so don't think heater matters that much as long as u not blasting it full speed
when we had freezing rain here n i was blasting it to defrost the windshield, yeah it consumed a lot of % on the same drive home

Reactions: abalexab