Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs. 100D - Free SC? - 5 Days to decide - 21K mi per year - Commuter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need help to decide, I have 5 days to make a change order on a purchase of a Model X 90D or 100D. I have a long commute and I have 2 superchargers between my home and work.

Right now I'm avg. 21K per year (80 mi per day) in my Model S 70D and I use the SC at least 1-2 times per week.

Please Help!

Thanks!
IMG_1280.JPG

I have an 80 mile commute each day as well. Unless you don't have a charging option at home, you are wasting your time supercharging to save a few bucks each week on electric IMHO. Your annual cost for electric is probably just over $1k for 21k miles.

I think it's really a question of how often you intend to go on long road trips. Your daily usage doesn't warrant a need for the larger battery but having extra range for when you need it is always helpful.

I decided to forgo FUSC and wait a bit before longer to upgrade my Model S to the 100D.

I'm with a similar situation to yours: around 22k miles/year with a SC predicted in the next few months in the commute.

It would be around 1500-1600€ / year of electricity.

I think, for the range difference, it makes more sense to keep the privilege of having that for free.

Tesla does not offer Superchargers for commuters. it's for long-distance travel. Does not fit the Tesla supercharger use profile that they prescribe.

I need help to decide, I have 5 days to make a change order on a purchase of a Model X 90D or 100D. I have a long commute and I have 2 superchargers between my home and work.

Right now I'm avg. 21K per year (80 mi per day) in my Model S 70D and I use the SC at least 1-2 times per week.

Please Help!

Thanks!
View attachment 212375

Curious - Why are you using the SC on your 80mi commute? No where to charge at home or to save money?

If you're looking to save time, get the 100. If you want to save money and don't mind stopping get the 90-esp.if you're going to keep SCing that often.

Having a flexible schedule at work allows me to visit a SC for a good hour and avoid the worst part of rush hour (bay area is really brutal). I use mobile wifi to work from my "mobile office MS" and grab a coffee. If helps break up the commute and I'll admit saving $1-$1.5K is a nice feeling. I use to spend $4500 in gas per year.

So I'm leaning to 90d but it is quite painful knowing the 100d is only $3k with more advanced battery tech.

• Informative
Reactions: hingisfan
have an 80 mile commute each day as well. Unless you don't have a charging option at home, you are wasting your time supercharging to save a few bucks each week on electric IMHO. Your annual cost for electric is probably just over $1k for 21k miles.

Bingo. I have an 80 mile commute and even if I had an SC on the way, there is no way I am wasting an hour twice a week (that is two hours) to save $10. I have a plug at home and SCs are for long distance travel. heck i don't even plug my S at the office also, although there are Chargepoint chargers that are free for us.

Do us all a favor - doesn't matter if you end up with a 70 or 100. Don't use SC for your daily commute. Use a plug in your home.