Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the configurator is open to all and the 70 has been bumped to 75, I'm seriously regretting confirming my 90D order last week. We were really really on the fence over the 37 mile difference in range between the 70 and 90 (we don't care about the 0-60 time or max speed differences), and now that the range difference has been cut even further it seems somewhat ludicrous (sorry) to spend an extra $10-12.5k for just 20 miles of extra range that we might never miss. I also don't care about the default switch in wood decor to Dark Ash either way.

Do any more experienced Tesla owners know if, at times of similar configuration changes, Tesla has agreed to waive the $500 change fee? It seems like it would be a good gesture of goodwill in circumstances like these. My car has a VIN but isn't in production yet, so it seems perfectly feasible to change with little impact to Tesla (I presume).

At the end of the day, it may (probably) would still be worth it even with the $500 change fee, but waiving it would make me much, much happier.

Reactions: vrykolas
Now that the configurator is open to all and the 70 has been bumped to 75, My car has a VIN but isn't in production yet, so it seems perfectly feasible to change with little impact to Tesla (I presume).At the end of the day, it may (probably) would still be worth it even with the $500 change fee, but waiving it would make me much, much happier.
Welcome to TMC....Call your DS ASAP...since you have a VIN Iam not sure..nothing to lose in trying i am sure there are a lot of people in your situation..good luck

The larger battery results in longer battery life compared to a smaller battery when you look at degradation concerns. Also, supercharging is faster. There is also the performance improvements. All of these should help resale value if a concern.

None of these should be a deal breaker if the cost is a stretch. However, there are benefits besides range that are not obvious.

Is there more info I can read about supercharging speed? Why does the increased capacity imply faster recharge times?

Cost isn't necessarily a "stretch" per se, but that $10-12k can be put to other uses (including, perhaps, savings as a Model 3 downpayment, etc)

Lots of older threads on '85 vs 60' would help.
Supercharging rate curve depends on percent state of charge. - when you do the math, you'll see that the time to add 150 miles (for example) is faster from a given point for a larger battery. Lots of threads available.

They still show it as a 70kWh battery with 220 mile range though

image.png

Reactions: Galve2000
Back you your real question will Tesla wave the fee? Many have posted that Tesla wouldn't wave the change fee for various changes. In all the time I have been reading the forum I am aware of only two times the fee was waved. I believe in both cases they waived the fee because the person had made the request before the end of the seven day period and they were waiting on Tesla to provide some information.

From my perspective you have nothing to loose by trying to get them to wave the fee. I find it all depends who you get on the phone and how friendly and persuasive you can be. Don't forget if you move from a 90D to a 75D it will delay getting your car probably by months as you will go behind all of the 70D orderers.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
From my perspective you have nothing to loose by trying to get them to wave the fee. I find it all depends who you get on the phone and how friendly and persuasive you can be. Don't forget if you move from a 90D to a 75D it will delay getting your car probably by months as you will go behind all of the 70D orderers.

The current configurator says that new 75D orders have expected delivery of "June". My just-confirmed 90D, according to my DS, is scheduled for "late May/early June" already. I am already mentally prepared for delivery any time between June and September, so waiting an extra month or two wouldn't on its own dissuade me from making the change.

Tesla isn't being honest about the range in the X 90D. Now that we know the X 90D has the same active spoiler as the X P90D, and the S 90D's EPA range is 294 miles, simple math shows the X 90D's range to be much greater than 257 miles.

If accepting Tesla's claim of 250 miles on the X P90D and 270 miles on the S P90D as fact, that means the X has 92.5% the range of the same S. Therefore the X 90D range is likely 272 miles.