Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm leaving in about 12 hours from Houston to South Georgia. The Tallahassee supercharger will be my last one. You let me know the data you want to see and I'll get it. 75-90mph isn't uncommon along the route with the cruise control at 80 being the norm. Speed limits outside the city centers are 70-75mph

Battery Statistics - Xmas Driving Edition

Merry Christmas everyone - I see in the ABRP logs that there has been a lot of Driving Home for Christmas recently, so I though I'd share some updated data from your charging. I have updated the charging characteristics in ABRP accordingly.

Enough talk; BT85, classic MS85 battery:
BT85.png

BTX4, 90 kWh battery in S90 and X90:
BTX4.png

BTX5, Model S and X 75 battery, sometimes limited to 60 kWh:
BTX5.png

BTX6, Model S and X 100 battery:
BTX6.png

BTX8, a unicorn 85 kWh battey, software limited to 75 in some Model S and X 75 - needs more data but looks a lot like the classic BT85:
BTX8.png

Finally, still not a lot of Model 3 data so I do not dare to update the ABRP model yet (red line is the current curve based on BT85). Looking like really high power charging below 50%, though:
BT37.png

I have quite a lot of data point for the more common car models, so just let me know if you would like me to investigate some particular aspect of them.

@blincoln hopefully some new model S owners will find this thread. The range on the S75D at 65 mph is now listed as 275 miles at 70° and 249 at 0°. I'm interested in seeing the graph for the new battery.
Sounds like quite unrealistic numbers för the S75D, I agree. I will post some range estimates for different Tesla models and batteries based on the statistics soon.

Reactions: Duffer
@blincoln, great program. You'll be getting 2,000+ miles of data from me on our current trip. Not sure if I'm uploading all the charging data as I haven't been able to keep the browser open (usually don't stay in the car during charging).

This was our first multistop winter trip. I had done some shorter trips in the cold to better guage our consumption with full heat on and used those figures to plug into your program. Even with temps as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit and a few snow flurries, our actual usage vs plan were pretty close. Your program really helps to alleviate any range anxiety.

Forget if it's been mentioned before, but if a trip crosses time zones, the arrival time is based on time zone from the origin.

Last edited:
@blincoln

Would you be able to create a graph for the BT85 based on miles on the cars? Let's say all the data from cars below 30k miles and one of cars more than 50k miles? Or something like that.
The reason I ask is because I have noticed a significantly lower charge rate on my Model S 85 over time. When the car was new, Supercharging was much faster. Now it's about 20% slower. I'm just wondering if that is a general trend as the battery gets older or just my car.

The reason I ask is because I have noticed a significantly lower charge rate on my Model S 85 over time. When the car was new, Supercharging was much faster. Now it's about 20% slower. I'm just wondering if that is a general trend as the battery gets older or just my car.

I've noticed the exact same thing, but I don't think it's related to age or cycles on the battery. I think it's that the more recent software versions have programmed a less aggressive supercharging profile than we used to have.

Reactions: David99
To simplify all the numbers obtained from statistics I will try a new perspective: Expected road trip time including driving and charging.

The scenario is driving on flat land at constant speed with a supercharger stop every 200 km (124 miles), as if you were driving forever without impact of initial SoC, and arriving at each supercharger with 10 kWh remaining. The total trip time is presented assuming a road trip of 1000 km (621 miles).

The battery will affect the charging time and the car model will affect the consumption while driving. The charging and driving characteristics are all based on the statistics from ABRP users.
  • S75d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 13:06 including 02:00 charging
  • S75d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 11:39 including 02:08 charging
  • S75d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 10:48 including 02:28 charging
  • S100d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 12:42 including 01:36 charging
  • S100d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 11:12 including 01:41 charging
  • S100d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 10:12 including 01:52 charging
  • X75d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 13:49 including 02:42 charging
  • X75d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 12:33 including 03:01 charging
  • X75d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 12:04 including 03:33 charging
  • X100d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 13:05 including 01:58 charging
  • X100d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 11:38 including 02:06 charging
  • X100d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 10:42 including 02:22 charging
Fun facts: In this scenario, the optimal speed with an S100d is 150 km/h / 93 mph (total trip time 09:16) and with an X100d 145 km/h / 90 mph (total trip time 10:06).

I've noticed the exact same thing, but I don't think it's related to age or cycles on the battery. I think it's that the more recent software versions have programmed a less aggressive supercharging profile than we used to have.
I agree, it may well be a change at a certain software version. Unfortunately, I only enabled data sharing two months or so ago in ABRP, so I cannot compare before and after.

To simplify all the numbers obtained from statistics I will try a new perspective: Expected road trip time including driving and charging.

The scenario is driving on flat land at constant speed with a supercharger stop every 200 km (124 miles), as if you were driving forever without impact of initial SoC, and arriving at each supercharger with 10 kWh remaining. The total trip time is presented assuming a road trip of 1000 km (621 miles).

The battery will affect the charging time and the car model will affect the consumption while driving. The charging and driving characteristics are all based on the statistics from ABRP users.
  • S75d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 13:06 including 02:00 charging
  • S75d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 11:39 including 02:08 charging
  • S75d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 10:48 including 02:28 charging
  • S100d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 12:42 including 01:36 charging
  • S100d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 11:12 including 01:41 charging
  • S100d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 10:12 including 01:52 charging
  • X75d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 13:49 including 02:42 charging
  • X75d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 12:33 including 03:01 charging
  • X75d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 12:04 including 03:33 charging
  • X100d at 90 km/h (56 mph): Total road trip time 13:05 including 01:58 charging
  • X100d at 105 km/h (65 mph): Total road trip time 11:38 including 02:06 charging
  • X100d at 120 km/h (75 mph): Total road trip time 10:42 including 02:22 charging
Fun facts: In this scenario, the optimal speed with an S100d is 150 km/h / 93 mph (total trip time 09:16) and with an X100d 145 km/h / 90 mph (total trip time 10:06).
hmm. not at all intuitive. Obvious, faster drive means quicker commute. Faster drive means longer recharge time.
But a Model S should cut through the air at the same speed regardless of battery size. Why would driving 56 mph take 13:06 and 12:42 when different batteries are mounted? Not at all intuitive..Can you explain?

hmm. not at all intuitive. Obvious, faster drive means quicker commute. Faster drive means longer recharge time.
But a Model S should cut through the air at the same speed regardless of battery size. Why would driving 56 mph take 13:06 and 12:42 when different batteries are mounted? Not at all intuitive..Can you explain?
The time is including charging time and as a bigger battery charge faster it means the total time goes down.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

The difference between 13:06 and 12:42 total trip times is exactly the 24 minute difference in required charging time. On average, the larger battery charges more quickly than the smaller battery. Also, the smaller battery requires charging to a higher SOC% to go the same distance. The higher up you go, the lower your average charging speed will be.

hmmm- my intuition would say that it takes LONGER to fill up a bigger tank at the same flow rate. More cells, more places for the current to flow, more time. But the data says otherwise. Why would this be? And would not both batteries need the same number of electrons after traveling the same distance? Charging should either be identical, or favor the smaller battery. I'm missing something here.

hmmm- my intuition would say that it takes LONGER to fill up a bigger tank at the same flow rate. More cells, more places for the current to flow, more time. But the data says otherwise. Why would this be? And would not both batteries need the same number of electrons after traveling the same distance? Charging should either be identical, or favor the smaller battery. I'm missing something here.

But it isn’t the same flow rate. As you can see in the charts above, the 100 kWh battery charges about 20% faster than the 75 kWh battery up to about 50% SOC (120 kW vs 100 kW respectively).

Additionally, to go 124 miles on a leg, the smaller battery will have to get charged to a higher SOC, where the charge rate tapers off significantly, further reducing the average charge speed.

Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
For some trips, the larger battery also lets you skip a Supercharger or two. We did a 1000 mile round-trip drive back in September and debated taking the S90D or the S100D. On the way east, the time difference would've only been about 5 minutes. The trip back west would've taken about 30 minutes longer in the S90D since it would've required another stop. We ended up taking the S100D because we had precious cargo on board and wanted to get home as soon as possible.