Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Compressor finally failed. But $3400??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our AC just stopped working and we've have just been told that our A/C Compressor short circuited which caused the DC-DC Converter to internally short requiring a $4,000 replacement of both. Ours is a 2013 Model S. What year is yours?

2013 also.

Turned out that the compressor was OK, and they only had to replace the DC/DC convertor. Now, the compressor does not seem to cycle on and off multiple times a minute like it did before.

Doubtful. Camry would probably have a belt-driven compressor with a clutch.

Camry Hybrid would have an electric AC compressor (probably supplied by Denso) which has some chance of being closer, but still unlikely the same part.

A few Google image searches for tesla model s ac compressor have turned up stuff like Tesla Model S (2012-2015) OEM A/C Electric Compressor HVCC Part# 1028398-00-E | eBay, which is made in Korea and I don't see any Denso markings. TESLA MODEL S 2016 AC A/C Compressor | eBay says Hanon Systems. I'd not heard of Hanon Systems until today.
The latter eBay link is dead/changed to point to the wrong thing now.

I found another at Tesla Model S (2014-2017) OEM A/C Electric Compressor Hanon Part # 1063369-00-E | eBay. Archived copy at Tesla Model S (2014-2017) OEM A/C Electric Compressor Hanon Part # 1063369-00-E | eBay. One of the pics further down in the scrollable section on the bottom right clearly says Hanon Systems.

The first link had a pic showing a Tesla logo and HVCC logo in green. It looks like HVCC is aka Halla Visteon Climate Control Corp. which then changed their name: Halla Visteon Changes Corporate Name to Hanon Systems. (I was wondering why I saw HVCC logo came up on hanonsystems.com when searching for hvcc korea. It's in the HTML of Hanon Systems.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Our AC just stopped working and we've have just been told that our A/C Compressor short circuited which caused the DC-DC Converter to internally short requiring a $4,000 replacement of both. Ours is a 2013 Model S. What year is yours?
Just got a price of $3900 for replacing the inverter and compressor. My model S is a 2013 with about 30000 miles. Very disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
For years we have been complaining that our A/C has been making way too much noise, especially the little thump that it makes when it cycles on and off, almost once a minute.

So now the A/C has finally died. Tesla service wants $3400 to replace the compressor and a DC converter. I don't recall ever having to replace a compressor in any other car - it seems awfully high. On the other hand, whatever made the system cycle on and off so often is probably what killed it, and we complained to them many times over the years, and they would just say "Oh that's the A/C", and we'd say, "odd, we have had cars with A/C, don't recall any of them making so much noise". Fan noise yes, but the vibration and thumping no.

Anyone have any insight on how to proceed?

Sorry I can't help. I can only commiserate. Just learned of the same problem and got same bill for my AC repair today. 2013 model S with 36,000 miles.

The DC/DC converter failure is known (expensive) issue related to fuse that cannot be replaced on earlier models. However, it seems tied more to the heater rather than AC compressor in most cases. But AC is noted too:

“Technician did identify the AC compressor has short circuit and the DCDC converter has an internal short. Technician recommending replacement of the AC compressor and the DCDC converter. EST total cost is $4,031.38. This will be to address your AC concern. Would you like to proceed with replacing the DCDC Con and AC compressor or decline? Please feel free to let us know as we plan to order parts—Thank you.”

Heater stopped working | Tesla

Most likely the fuse in the DC-DC converter just blew. It’s known that this fuse will blow for no apparent reason. Numerous people were told the AC compressor plus the DC-DC converter needed to be replaced, these people replaced the fuse in the DC-DC converter instead and everything worked fine thereafter. There is a thread on this you can search for. The fuse can be bought on Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I had the same thing happen and I questioned the techs diagnosis and asked for another tech to look at it. I was quoted 3400 for ac compressor and DC/DC converter replacement. I asked why they cant just replace the fuses and he was shocked when I knew more about the system them he did. In the end I paid 83 dollars for them to diagnose and refill the ac. Works perfect now. I would suggest you challenge them and ask for a different tech to look at it. They did provide me a 2018 S75D for the 5 days they had my S so I cant complain too much.

Does the car still actually operate with that fuse blown in the DC-DC? Is the fuse just for the AC?
Everything worked like it was suppose to except the ac and heater. They never did say what they replaced or changed but they did order parts from a different service center. The paperwork doesn't even say what they did other than recharge the ac.

20190428_191345.jpg
20190428_191427.jpg
20190428_191436.jpg