Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/c fan seeming very loud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have had my car for a few days and I notice when my ac kicks on a noticeable buzz/hum, if you will coming from near the frunk. It gets better when the climate control slows down and gears down a bit. I videoed it but not sure if I can upload it here or not.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried?

Yep same here, and it doesn't always seems to be related to heat. Car can be in our cool garage, open the door, and it will sound like its about to do a vertical takeoff. We also leave the A/C on AUTO. Would be nice if they could get that tamed a bit.

The A/C compressor is quite loud when running full speed. I can hear it inside the car, and the car vibrates noticeably when its running at high speed. If you reduce the fan speed the compressor will generally run at lower speed and not be as loud, but also wont cool as well.

All things considered, its quieter than the A/C in most cars, but since its basically the only thing making noise its kinda annoying when it runs flat out. I'd like them to have a 'quiet' mode that limits the max fan speed and compressor speed so its not super loud in auto when you first get in. The noise is really just intrinsic to the design. There's nothing wrong with your car, and the service center cant fix it. You can manually set the fan speed low and that's about it.

I have the same period loud hum in my MS75D. I have had the car since June 2017 and I do not remember it being this loud. It is very noticeable inside the car. I had a Tesla mobile tech come to the house and after running a number of tests he assured me that the car was fine and the noise was normal in hot, humid weather.

my family has a 3, S and X. When its a particularly hot and humid day and you are just getting in the car, the air compressor does occasionally run very loud and a vibration can be felt on the floor and pedals. Since this is consistent throughout all of the 3 models we have, i'm assuming this is all very normal. and it only lasts a few moments. if you dont want to hear your AC/compressor run in overdrive, i'd recommend precooling it a few minutes before you get in and by the time you get to the car it will be stabilized....

I'm pretty sure this is one of those instances of "I only notice because there's no engine noise". My previous car had a noticeable A/C compressor noise when it was on full blast as well, but it was somewhat masked by the engine itself.

I notice the load fans/compressor when I forget to pre-cool the car. It really ramps up to high power trying to rapidly cool the cabin temps, which it does. I fixed the problem by "always" pre-cooling the car, expect to those times I forget. :)

Reactions: BZM3