Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Great Tesla Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Given that we read about lots of bad reports of Tesla Service on here, I thought I ought to write about a good service experience I’ve just had.

About a month or so ago I met up with a fellow forum member @davidmc and during our chat about the Model 3 I happened to mention that I was surprised the glovebox on the Model 3 did not have a light.

Long story short, and it seemed my glovebox light had never worked. I booked a service visit on 10 January at Leeds, but put in the comments that I’d prefer a Ranger visit if possible.

A few days later I got confirmation that my appointment had been converted to a Ranger visit, and that parts had been ordered.

About 10 days ago I received my appointment, between 10.30 and 12.30 on 14 February at my home address.

The night before I got a message from Dan, the Tesla technician, reminding me of the appointment, and saying he would contact me 15 minutes before he was due to arrive.

This morning I got a message from Dan to say he was running a little early, and his ETA with me was 09.55 if that was convenient. It was.

Dan pulled up on the drive at exactly 09.55 in his Model S, and by 10.15 he’d finished his job, and the light was working. It seems that the switch for the glovebox light is part of the damper mechanism, and the electrical connector had worked loose or never been properly seated.

No parts were required, but all eventualities had been covered because Dan had an array of spare parts with him, including a complete replacement glovebox!

I’ve never, ever, in over 40 years of motoring, had a service visit at home. My thanks to Dan and the service team for a great service experience.

5A606FFE-EB96-4AEC-AB70-81B4C4E6E549.jpeg

D76F07A2-60EF-4F9E-A1D7-2BEFA867C086.jpeg

I'm glad someone is having a good experience - I am ripping my hair out in frustration. My cruise control isn't working as they tell me it should, so I go out and gather data as they direct. I then pass it back over IM as that is their only method of interaction. Hours go by with no response. I then query and find that they didn't get it for some reason - so I send it again.

We have now cycled for more than a day of constant back-and-forth. When they finally do get an IM they claim "it doesn't contain all they need - we cannot diagnose it if you don't give us the required info" - yet it has everything they requested. And so we go around again, reposting the info they can't seem to get.

The most infuriating, frustrating experience I have ever had. I love the car - but Tesla has no bloody clue how to service them.

So, I'd like to chime in with a "Good Experience" at my Tesla Dealership in the USA.

I had the dreaded, all alarms disabled Traction Control, Regenative Braking and 8 other things blow up on my screen. It was a loose wheel sensor they fixed in two hours.

Arrived early, took my car, gave me a Model S to drive and picked up the car later that night.

All went well.

What I was a bit disappointed in...they had my car all day (thought they'd supercharge it for me) and maybe a wash? I don't think they have the capability there at the dealership. Not really a gripe, but my honda dealer vacumms and washes my old minivan every single time I brought it in for service. Being Tesla is a Premium Brand...they could do something extra nice?

Oh well, My P3D still flys fast!!
Cheers!

I tried to have Tesla deal with a tyre issue - a non event in the end thanks to others on here saying it was likely cosmetic which it was (tear in sidewall), but not obvious at time of call.

It was over xmas break (but these things can strike irrespective of day or time) so a little inconvenience was expected, but basically, they were totally useless. Had I had a blow out and was totally stranded, I would have been expected to get the car to a service centre who would not be open for a few days and wouldn't have had tyre stock anyway. Whether this is normal I do not know, but you can only go on what Tesla breakdown phone support tell you.

Thankfully car was drivable and as it happened legal so sorted following morning by local indy within 5 mins for price of a bacon butty.

Yes, service is inconsistent (apparently worldwide) and I think we are all in the middle of the growing pains of a very successful new car and industry. Service is struggling to keep up with the growing demand for the world's best vehicle. In Naples, Florida and surrounding communities we have lots of Tesla's but no local service facility but I'm optimistic that we'll have a local service facility within a year. Meanwhile, we do have excellent mobile service. Tesla is the future, so hang in there.