TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A mighty effort from AEVA Tasmania

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Dave3333

Dave3333 Member

I just noticed on the Electric Vehicle Council site (Electric Vehicle Council) that their map of charging locations has changed for Tasmania! I think the map comes from Plugshare, so perhaps go straight to that, but there are several new superchargers listed as "coming soon" now showing on the map.

There're only so many times I can click refresh on the Tesla site waiting for my Model 3, so I've been checking these charging sites daily as well...!

2. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

[​IMG]

Yep, I was looking at Plugshare yesterday and noticed those same ones pop up :) I can confirm that the three southern ones (New Norfolk, Geeveston and Hobart) are all correct so far as the precise locations go. I don't know about the others (Queenstown, Elizabeth Town, Scottsdale) but assuming they were all added by the same person I would guess those are probably correct too.

I don't know about the "soon" part of "coming soon", I think it will be unlikely that any of these will be installed by the end of this year, but a condition of the government grant was that the station be installed within 12 months so I think we'll see a lot of activity in the first half of next year!

3. Dave3333

Dave3333 Member

Exactly - sooner rather than later would be nice, but at least they're coming. The EVC site lists them as CHAdeMO, but hopefully they'll be CCS too. Now to just get those super fast ones in Campbell Town as well that you mentioned last month...

4. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Yep, they will all be both CHAdeMO and CCS2 - another condition of the grant!

Worth noting that the Chargefox one in Campbell Town is separate to the grants (it was announced beforehand, and they said it would be before the end of this year), so when I said not to expect to see anything this year - I didn't mean that one :)

• Like x 1
  5. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

By the way, since this thread is active - a good time to remind people - the TOCA (Tesla Owners Club of Australia) AGM is next Saturday at 2pm, and someone has arranged a Tassie venue (in Taroona). Members can access the location via the TOCA website.

I may or may not be able to make it personally, but it would be great as a meeting place for Model 3 order-ers (or reservation holders - all welcome!) :)

Ping @Dave3333 @nigwil @zjrobinson and probably more that I've missed!

• Like x 2
  6. Dave3333

Dave3333 Member

Hey - do you (or anyone else) also know what the state of play is requiring a type 2 to type 2 cable for chargers in Tassie is? I know many people on the Model 3 forum are purchasing those to keep in the boot as not all public chargers have a cable installed. How many public chargers fall into that boat in Tassie?

Obviously I don't want to spend all the money on purchasing one if it's not even remotely useful here!

7. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

#47 Chuq, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    I would probably get one anyway. At the moment the following sites have Type 2 sockets:

upload_2019-8-13_14-13-37.png

Ones with a red "T" have a Tesla destination charger alongside it, and the one with "DC" has a DC fast charger alongside. However there is always a chance that one or the other may not be working, or access to one of the chargers is blocked. In some cases (e.g. the Waratah one) the Type 2 is faster than the destination charger. Having a Type 2 cable is good backup. Also, all new AC chargers going in are going to be Type 2 socket, so the number is only going to increase. Electric Highway Tasmania has said all of their DC fast charger sites (Burnie, Queenstown, Derwent Bridge, Swansea and St Helens) would have a Type 2 AC charger as backup.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. nigwil

nigwil Member

Thanks Chuq for the reminder. I am at doing a tricky upgrade at work over the weekend, but if it is going ok by that time, I will try to get there.

• Like x 1