Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by emphasising that I believe the Model S to be one of the safest cars ever built, and that the fire risk is lower than almost anything else on the road. I'm not worried about this situation at all.
That said, I do have serious concerns about the rear seat emergency release. In my opinion the front doors were done right, pull the same control you normally would, only harder. The back seats though are a very poor design. I know many other vehicles have done the same or worse, but that's no excuse. Exit controls, especially ones designed to be used in an emergency, should be very visible, and easily found by someone who is both unfamiliar with the vehicle, and in a full panic. The rear ones simply don't pass that test.

You can start a gas station fire even just from static electricity (which is why I always touch the car body first before handling the nozzle). I feel a lot safer plugging in an EV instead.

Side note: it is a bad idea to pull out the nozzle when a fuel fire happens, although luckily she was able to release the lever to stop the pump before doing so in this case.

Fun fact: (I forget my source on this) most fires of this sort are caused by women. When fueling, women are far more likely to sit back down in the car then men, who favor standing outside the car. Getting in the car isolates you from the ground, and you can build up a static charge. Not a sexist comment, just a curious behavior thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun fact: (I forget my source on this) most fires of this sort are caused by women. When fueling, women are far more likely to sit back down in the car then men, who favor standing outside the car. Getting in the car isolates you from the ground, and you can build up a static charge. Not a sexist comment, just a curious behavior thing.

And without being Xenophobic, far more likely to happen to Americans than Brits ;)

(It is impossible to refuel here without continuously holding the trigger on the pump nozzle, maybe this is why?)

Oh man, that video, you can can see her smoothing down her sweater before she touches the fuel handle - talk about building up a static charge!

Anyways, yes, one Tesla catching fire is a drop in the bucket compared to how many ICE cars catch fire even on a per car basis...

And without being Xenophobic, far more likely to happen to Americans than Brits ;)

(It is impossible to refuel here without continuously holding the trigger on the pump nozzle, maybe this is why?)

Same here in BC but we just do this with the gas cap to hold it...

13455408865_722b093eb1_m.jpg

It's hard to tell whether the battery was involved in the fire. You get high temperatures from burning plastics, transmission oil, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quoting from an article: "It is not possible to extinguish electric car fires with water, so the fire department contained the area surrounding the fierce car fire, and used a special foam to get the fire under control."

Obviously, water is the correct way to extinguish the fire, so it does seems as if the fire departments hesitation to extinguish the fire with water did contribute to the extent of the fire. Apparently they just let it burn while they tried to get what they thought was the proper means to extinguish the fire.

Li-ion battery fires can be extinguished with water because there is not much lithium in Li-ion batteries. However, lithium-metal batteries need to be put out with chemicals because lithium itself reacts with water and would make a fire more intense. All Lithium series metals react with water. Potassium reacts so violently the blast has killed people. Sodium reacts violently with water too. These elements in compounds don't react, this is the pure or nearly pure elements in reaction with water.

They probably hesitated to hit the car with water because of the risk of electrocution. The electrics in the car are in an unknown state with the car on fire.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I first saw this on Teslarati which has a lot of pictures of the burning and burned out car. I suspect the media will make a big deal about how dangerous Teslas are for some time.

I wonder if the owner is here on the forum or one of Bjorn's friends?

Last edited:
Li-ion battery fires can be extinguished with water because there is not much lithium in Li-ion batteries. However, lithium-metal batteries need to be put out with chemicals because lithium itself reacts with water and would make a fire more intense. All Lithium series metals react with water. Potassium reacts so violently the blast has killed people. Sodium reacts violently with water too. These elements in compounds don't react, this is the pure or nearly pure elements in reaction with water.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I first saw this on Teslarati which has a lot of pictures of the burning and burned out car. I suspect the media will make a big deal about how dangerous Teslas are for some time.

Sounds like we may need to stock an appropriate fire extinguisher in the car. Maybe a 30-50 dollar fire extinguisher could have stopped this. Especially now that I know the fire department is hesitant (reasonably?) about putting these out, preferring to contain it instead. Wait, probably should be stocking an extinguisher in any car now that I think about it... Guess I am going to have to start a new New Year's buy list...

Average age of a car in the US is 11.5 years. (Average Age of Light Vehicles in the U.S. Rises Slightly in 2015 to 11.5 years, IHS Reports | IHS Online Newsroom)

Of course to really compare like for like we would need the number of vehicle fires by year of manufacture. I doubt that info is even public.

Logically you would assume incidence rates increase with age, as rubber hoses perish, seals fail, maintenance and inspection becomes spotty, leaks develop, etc. etc.

But without stats to back it up, this is little more than semi-educated speculation, based on anecdotal evidence of old cars I've had in the past :)

The US has nothing like MOT. Many areas require a yearly or every other year emissions test, but as long as the car isn't emitting too many pollutants, there are no other inspections. Here in Washington (and in many other states) emissions tests aren't even required if the car is over 25 years old. My old Buick only has one test left (it's passed all previous tests by a wide margin).

I was at the post office last week and there was an ancient 1970s Chevy Camaro in the parking lot. It barely had any paint left on it and looked like it was barely drivable. I parked about 1/2 a block away and as I was leaving the Camaro left and drove past me. It was so out of tune it was practically spewing raw gas. Half a whiff and I had to hold my breath until I was in my car. He stank up the neighborhood.

Fortunately there aren't too many old clunkers like that out there, but there are a number of older cars (usually better maintained) on the road around here, more than in snowier regions of the US where the fenders tend to fall off after 5 winters or so.

- - - Updated - - -

There aren't any batteries either, not behind the rear wheels. That seemed to shoot out of the very rear of the vehicle, almost at a 45degree angle. I suppose a cell from the back of the pack could have shot out at that angle, but I'd think it would hit the drivetrain, or come out with more vertical trajectory. Plus I'd expect more than one cell to pop. Not sure we can conclude either way yet.

It looks to me like it originates around the rear wheels and we just see the sparks emerge from behind the post. It could be something in the drive unit or the equipment around the drive unit exploding.

- - - Updated - - -

Humans are notoriously bad at risk assessment. How much more likely is the car to get totaled en route to the Supercharger than at the Supercharger? Then, how much more likely are you to be in the vehicle during the event en route to the Supercharger compared to being at the Supercharger? Next, how much more likely are you to be able to escape injury at each of those locations?

We don't know the cause of this fire, but obviously the risk is quite low, given the limited number of events. It's beyond premature to discuss what kind of changes we should make at this point.

I frequently quote this: "If it's in the news, don't worry about it." --Bruce Schneier (Virginia Tech)

The idea being that only somewhat rare events make the news. The real risks are buried in our everyday activities.

If every car accident was reported like every terrorist attack, most people would be terrified to leave their driveways.

There is a book called "Virus of the Mind" about how memes can cause us to do things we otherwise wouldn't do including of being scared of low probability events. He had an example of an archipelago of 50,000 islands with about 6000 people per island. In this archipelago, someone gets eaten by a shark off a given island about once every 100 years. It's a tragedy when it happens, but people mourn and get on with their lives because it's something that only happens once every 4 generations. Then a new 24 hour news network starts up, Island News Network and they are constantly looking for news. Statistically someone gets eaten by a shark in the entire archipelago once every couple of days (even though it's only once per 100 years for each island). INN starts reporting on each shark attack and islanders panic because they keep hearing about shark attacks. The incidence of them is completely unchanged, but people are now more aware of them and they get paranoid.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost always get back into the car (and I'm male), but when I get out, I touch the frame of the pump (away from the gas hose) to ground myself before touching the nozzle. It's just habit and I've done it for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Not likely, the owner had bought the car used only two days before (30th desember). He also lent it out to someone else on this trip.

That sucks, have the car two days and it burns up. Do you know if it was a CPO or from a private party? Someone may have done some modification to it or something. I think all the CPO 60s have supercharging enabled, but if it was from a private party it may not have. I would think charging should fail gracefully if it wasn't enabled, but that may have been a factor.

My guess why some people have a preference to get in the car while pumping is to avoid the fumes smell.

I was surprised to learn here that you guys can leave a petrol nozzle unattended and it still pumps.

In this neck of the wood, we have to keep our hand on the trigger or the pump stops.

The risk of electrocution as a result of extinguishing the battery with water should be low.

Actually it is exactly zero unless you stick a part of your body (or more likely 2 parts) into the actual exposed battery pack or HV wiring. Had the car still been attached to the charger, then it would be a different matter as mains electricity may be accessible in the car and the fire hose and water might just conceivably cause a short to earth, possibly including a path through the fireman. But this is so unlikely - for a host of reasons - as to have an equally zero probablility as being electrocuted directly from the battey pack.

The other local newspaper report ...( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzxLbD9IrKAhVBshQKHfkZAWgQFggtMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftenbladet.no%2Fnyheter%2Flokalt%2Fagder%2FTesla-tok-fyr-og-brant-helt-ut-3840296.html&usg=AFQjCNE3KgePCAJj7Qhx0Iwa0aQ-GnEwLw&sig2=cAHQSOrcpOg-vKy7S8_ClQ) ... says the FB pulled the car away from the charger. Well, it can't have still been plugged in then. Or at least not by the time it stopped rolling, anyway.

Other comments here ascribe the totality of destruction of the Tesla in question to something other than a 'normal' car fire. I can categorically state that, even in an ICEV (even ignoring the contents of the fuel tank), there is ample 'fuel' in the standard cabin structure and contents to provide sufficient heat to reduce a steel bodied car to its bare metal skeleton, melting and evaporating all the glass as well - given enough time.

This scenario could so easily be a simple matter of a carelessly discarded cigarette (the cause of 1000's of car fires, globally every year) or a malfunctioning electrical appliance left on and unattended in the cabin. The (perhaps, forgivable) ineptitude of the local FB did not help, of course.

Incidentally, the same report (above) states the car was not being used by the 2 day-old owner at the time, but was in the custody of a 'colleague', for what that's worth. Anyway, lets stop the speculation and wait for the official report. MW

Last edited:
My opinion is EVs are still at least 50% safer than a normal car at a refueling station.

Comparing apples to apples i.e. car refueling...

Passenger vehicles in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~254,400,000 cars on USA roads.

How Many Tesla Model S Electric Cars Have Been Built So Far?

~70,000 Teslas on the road at least.

Service station safety

~762 fires happen a year at gas stations (from car related ones).

0.003% odds of normal car.
0.0014% odds of EV car (note this just Model S and doesn't even include all other EV models)