Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You probably weren't thinking. :tongue:

MORE SPECULATION! FASTER!

How do we even know it was a Model S that burned? Maybe it was a close facsimile made out of papier-mache? And are we certain the fire was on Earth? The pixels tells me the video was made entirely in Photoshop. And is that Jeremy Clarkson I see in the background? ;)

Are there Jimmy Hoffa and Elvis standing in the background?

I know ICEs cause a lot of fires and we like to compare them to our Tesla, does anyone have a measurement of cars 4 or 5 years or newer and catching on fire? That would be a better statistic to compare to Tesla. Comparing a 20 year old car with old parts and hoses isn't quite a fair comparison.

Also, all the speculation is impressive, considering there's always 3 sides to a story. So will be curious to see if we can ever find out the truth.

So just thinking of possible fire fighting solutions, I wonder about shot crete or aircrete being sprayed onto a car. No liquid water to run all over the ground which should greatly reduce any chance of shock, and I think those would really cover and smother a fire. Any fire experts with insight? Even a conventional cement truck with a chute might be able to get close enough and just dump a few tons of concrete on it. Then once cured just haul away the giant brick :biggrin:

I guess some investigation is going to take place by the police or Tesla. A tent covers the SC and car. The picture is taken a couple of houres ago.

FB_IMG_1451853518852.jpg

I guess some investigation is going to take place by the police or Tesla. A tent covers the SC and car. The picture is taken a couple of houres ago.
Thanks for the picture.

It is good to know they are preserving the evidence. If we're talking about arson or something similar, it could be that someone should be arrested. If so, it's important to have good evidence. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't he in Thailand?....I wonder if he knows the owner of the car.
I just watched his video and he doesn't seem to know anything not mentioned in this thread. So he likely read this thread or the one on the Norwegian EV forum.

I know ICEs cause a lot of fires and we like to compare them to our Tesla, does anyone have a measurement of cars 4 or 5 years or newer and catching on fire? That would be a better statistic to compare to Tesla. Comparing a 20 year old car with old parts and hoses isn't quite a fair comparison.

Also, all the speculation is impressive, considering there's always 3 sides to a story. So will be curious to see if we can ever find out the truth.

Surprisingly, it is pretty close.
This is a long report, and is based on 2003-2007. I'll keep looking for a newer one.
In this report, figure 6 on page 24 seems to be the best match to your question.
Newer cars seem to have a higher incidence of intentional fires and fires due to collision/accidents.
Older cars (5-10 year) have a higher incidence of mechanical/electrical fires.

They balance out fairly well, with a slight increase in the 5-15 year old cars from the looks of it.

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/research/nfpa-reports/vehicles/vehiclefires08.pdf?la=en

Surprisingly, it is pretty close.
This is a long report, and is based on 2003-2007. I'll keep looking for a newer one.
In this report, figure 6 on page 24 seems to be the best match to your question.
Newer cars seem to have a higher incidence of intentional fires and fires due to collision/accidents.
Older cars (5-10 year) have a higher incidence of mechanical/electrical fires.

They balance out fairly well, with a slight increase in the 5-15 year old cars from the looks of it.

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/research/nfpa-reports/vehicles/vehiclefires08.pdf?la=en

I couldn't help noticing the steady decrease in fires from 1980 onward. May correlate with reduction of Volkswagen Beetles on the roads?

I remember seeing many of those that caught fire due to failure of a rubber fuel hose above the engine.

Last edited: