Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I find fascinating is how various Tesla related User Groups are handling it. The local Northwest Tesla Owners Facebook group seems to have opted to delete all posts related to it. Apparently they're of the belief that hiding it under the bed somehow does anyone any good.

That's hilarious! I moderate the Arizona FB group and as soon as the fire news hit the internet I posted it to the group. The news is out there for anyone to see, not sure what value there is in deleting posts. Weird.

That's hilarious! I moderate the Arizona FB group and as soon as the fire news hit the internet I posted it to the group. The news is out there for anyone to see, not sure what value there is in deleting posts. Weird.

There is something to be said about protecting fearful reptilian brained people from things they cannot understand, like statistics. Take the average 24 hour news viewer, for example.

I wonder if there's more to this story than it seems. This quote from a Quora posting last year is interesting:

How do cars catch on fire? - Quora

I'm very skeptical of the claim that "almost all" car fires are arson. However, arson investigators look at a car being completely consumed or evidence that the fire was especially hot as suspicious. It's actually more difficult to completely burn down a car than you'd think. The destruction in this case seems much more severe than in other Tesla fire pictures we've seen.

I'm very skeptical of the claim that "almost all" car fires are arson. However, arson investigators look at a car being completely consumed or evidence that the fire was especially hot as suspicious. It's actually more difficult to completely burn down a car than you'd think. The destruction in this case seems much more severe than in other Tesla fire pictures we've seen.

Because the first responders elected to let it burn out of fear of high voltage danger from Supercharger and car.

Because the first responders elected to let it burn out of fear of high voltage danger from Supercharger and car.

Given that in this case MS battery was not involved in the fire, the fact that destruction was much greater than in previous fires might indicate that there was cargo containing some kind of flammable material in the Norwegian MS. This was likely responsible for the level of the destruction, rather than action or absence of it by the firefighters. It seems that this fire started due to a some kind of short circuit in the charging circuit, but was greatly accelerated due to flammable cargo on board.

Last edited:
Does anyone have more details about the charging station fire in Norway? I am anxious to find out what the heck happened. After reading some articles about how the FWDs won't work if there's a fire and you have to find a secret lever, it sounds like the best thing to do is go for a walk with your kiddos and valuables while the car is DC charging... [cringing]

Does anyone have more details about the charging station fire in Norway? I am anxious to find out what the heck happened. After reading some articles about how the FWDs won't work if there's a fire and you have to find a secret lever, it sounds like the best thing to do is go for a walk with your kiddos and valuables while the car is DC charging... [cringing]

You'll be more likely to get hit by a car on your walk than be trapped in your vehicle during a fire.

You're probably right but that's not going to stop me from charging the car with one FWD open if my kid is in the back. I hope the cause was driver error

I assume you don't ever have the child locks set on the back doors of any cars, so your kids can always get out? A lot of people are thinking the whole 'pop a speaker grill for manual release' with the falcon wing doors is just crazy if power is lost, but have no issue with setting the child locks on their current vehicle so that anyone in the back seat of their current vehicles would be trapped, power or not.

Given that in this case MS battery was not involved in the fire, the fact that destruction was much greater than in previous fires might indicate that there was cargo containing some kind of flammable material in the Norwegian MS. This was likely responsible for the level of the destruction, rather than action or absence of it by the firefighters. It seems that this fire started due to a some kind of short circuit in the charging circuit, but was greatly accelerated due to flammable cargo on board.

Certainly looking forward to a conclusion to this event. I still feel that the battery was consumed as fuel in the event but may not be the root cause.

Earlier events involved a puncture of the pack near the front of the battery due to road debris. This explained why more venting out the front initially on those prior events.

This is event seemed to start in the drivers side rear (nearest the supercharger pump). Therefore that rear quarter panel area was consumed first.

Why? If you smelled smoke while charging you'd all get out of the car. The 12v power to the doors comes from a standard automotive battery that's isolated from the high voltage side. And even when severly damaged battery packs don't burst into flames like gas tanks do. They take a while to get going.

The last time we saw any fires on Model S two years ago there was plenty of time to exit the vehicle in every instance. The 12v battery that powers the doors and electronics remained functional, and these were cases where the main traction battery had been impaled, or the car split in two, or driven through a wall at high speed.

If you're really worried about it just teach your kids to climb to the front seat and exit from the front doors if the falcon wing doors are inoperable. Far more likely for doors to get jammed in a collision anyhow than they can't open because 12v power is out.

How much concern do you give to filling up with gasoline with you outside the car and the kids inside? Gas cars spontaneously combust while filing so often it hardly ever makes the news, usually from static electricity. Really. People have no idea how dangerous this is.

Three years, nearly 100,000 Model S on the road, 1 billion miles driven, and this is the first time there's been a fire while charging. And we still don't know it actually had anything to do with charging yet. I'll take those odds over a gas car any day.

I've been trying to find some statistics on how often gas cars catch fire while filling up. Evidently it's "about 100 times a year." So, yeah, so often it doesn't make the news unless it's particularly noteworthy, like a police car or a Ferrari.

Avoid getting burned at the pump — literally - Business - Autos - ForbesAutos.com | NBC News
About 100 static-sparked fires occur at gas stations each year, according to Fowler Associates, a Moore, S.C.-based electrostatic research and consulting firm. The fires most often result from easily avoidable mistakes committed by a driver while fueling. “I’ve worked on these tragic accidents, and have seen cars blow up from static at the gas pump,” says John Fagan, professor of electrical and computer engineering for the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Okla.

EA,
That was a far too reasonable a conclusion to come to based on actual statistical risk. You sir (or Madam) are not a soon to be great again Merican!! Tesla charge fires and terrorists attacks in public places are two of the foremost threats to your very existence.

I REALLY hope those that read the above know what sarcasm is.

I suspect the chances of you dying in your car on the way to the gas station/super charger then refilling as a combined set of actions are much higher in anything other than a Tesla.

I've been trying to find some statistics on how often gas cars catch fire while filling up. Evidently it's "about 100 times a year." So, yeah, so often it doesn't make the news unless it's particularly noteworthy, like a police car or a Ferrari.

Avoid getting burned at the pump — literally - Business - Autos - ForbesAutos.com | NBC News

Or more practical, just plain human stupidity:

подожгла на заправке вСургуте - YouTube