Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A mouse ate my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for all of you putting peppermint oil or steel wool around wires and under the trunk etc where exactly do we find these wires? Is there a YouTube video out there where we can learn how to protect these wires from rodents?
OP here: I simply sprayed the stuff behind the Frunk that was reachable: hoses, battery, etc. The smell dissipates quickly so I don't know if it really helps. There is a flat area to the rear of either side of this compartment where I tucked rodent-repelling odor bags. (Called Fresh Cab.) And I suspended one of those sonic-light repellent devices using cable ties. I couldn't find anything on YouTube specific to Teslas.

Rats just got into to my 2016 Model S in southern Cal. Car seemed to be driving fine, but I got a low coolant warning. They . Looks like they were having a party on top of the coolant reservoir and ate through the 4 hoses listed below. Part cost totals $200 for the 4 tubes, and labor of $2,300!! At $200 an hour, this job really requires over 10 hours of labor?

If that is the case, rodent risk is a known issue with coolant... yet Tesla chose to put in cheap tubes that rats could access and is extremely difficult to replace them. Sounds like cutting corners at the expense of the customer. Thoughts?

Not covered under warranty and regrettably had my deductible set at $2,000...

1. HEATER TO BATTERY HOSE ASSEMBLY
    Part #: 1028540-00-A
    Order Date: March 25, 2021
  2. ASY,HOSE,PUMP2-DCDC,BATT,DM,MDL S
    Part #: 1037296-00-E
  3. PUMP TO FRONT DRIVE UNIT HOSE ASSEMBLY - DUAL MOTOR
    Part #: 1049683-00-A
  4. ROCKER TO PUMP HOSE ASSEMBLY - DUAL MOTOR
    Part #: 1049684-00-A

Rats just got into to my 2016 Model S in southern Cal. Car seemed to be driving fine, but I got a low coolant warning. They . Looks like they were having a party on top of the coolant reservoir and ate through the 4 hoses listed below. Part cost totals $200 for the 4 tubes, and labor of $2,300!! At $200 an hour, this job really requires over 10 hours of labor?

If that is the case, rodent risk is a known issue with coolant... yet Tesla chose to put in cheap tubes that rats could access and is extremely difficult to replace them. Sounds like cutting corners at the expense of the customer. Thoughts?

Get them to wrap the hosing in stainless steel wool scourer pads. Rats like plastic as it helps them to sharpen their teeth )rat teeth grow continuously). The stainless steel wool breaks their teeth so they avoid it

Not sure how this is Tesla's fault. Animals don't only get into Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: thinktwice
You may have better luck parking your vehicle inside a garage. (LPT: Don't store pet food in the garage.) Usually rodents eat, chew through wire harness insulation; your Model Y is the first I have heard of a rodent munching on a coolant line.

According to the all knowing, all seeing interwebs the most effective way to keep mice out of your car is with mint: a scent that naturally repels the rodent. Of all the mint-emitting products on the market, a clean and effective solution is Victor® Scent-Away™ Natural Mouse and Rat Repellent Packs™.

Some say that the scent of Irish Spring soap will also repel rodents.
When a previous ICE car, parked in the garage, had this problem, I was told that mothballs were effective. Tended to keep people as well as mice out of the garage!

Looking for ways to inhibit rodent intrusion in our new Y. Just removed 7" (+ tail) dead rat in our Rav4 cabin filter and repaired eaten gas line. This with mouse bait in wire baskets under each side of the hood and rodent repelling winer attached to battery. It's sounding like something mint saturated at each wheel in the garage, and selling the Rav4.

Some say that the scent of Irish Spring soap will also repel rodents.
I know this is old, but just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, since I just saw this, and have direct experience with this... Irish Spring soap will actually attract rodents... I know this, becuase I used to collect soaps as a kid... When I came back from college, my parents said that mice had gotten into my room, becuase they found that my soap collection had been munched on, and mouse droppings everywhere... One of the soaps was irish spring...

$700 labor isn't that unreasonable considering what needs to be done to swap out the hose. I believe the SC hourly rate is ~$200.

Remove under hood shroud/panels/tub. Drain/flush coolant from radiators, replace hose, refill the system with coolant, pressure test, reinstall all the panels and tub. Then, reset all errors in the system, test drive vehicle.

3.5 hours is not that bad.

Simple, Cheap, and easy
Victor-Mousetrap.jpg

I have a MY on order and am a little worried about rodents here. I'll be parking & charging outdoors. I plan to use a rodent deterrent spray, peppermint oil or whatever. Any advice on what areas of the car to spray?

From what I've seen online, the panel above the frunk is easy to remove, so I can spray into that compartment. I'll also spray around the wheels. Anywhere else?

You don't want to attract rodents to your vehicle by using a baited trap inside the vehicle. Place the baited traps in the corners of the garage, far away from the vehicle. Don't leave food crumbs, snacks inside the vehicle. Mice have an incredible ability to detect the scent of food.

Mice don't need much water as they get most of the water they need from their natural food sources. Mice will nest within ~12 feet of their food supply. Rats (Norway rats) do need a source of water and will travel much further in search of a meal.

Reactions: croman
I have a MY on order and am a little worried about rodents here. I'll be parking & charging outdoors. I plan to use a rodent deterrent spray, peppermint oil or whatever. Any advice on what areas of the car to spray?

From what I've seen online, the panel above the frunk is easy to remove, so I can spray into that compartment. I'll also spray around the wheels. Anywhere else?
I park in a secure garage so no issues but there are lot's of pack rats around. People who park outside usually leave their hoods up and put a light inside the engine compartment - must be pretty effective.

My car has been outside since March and no issues. And I have had issues in my garage with older cars that haven't been run.

Same issue on my Model Y. Mouse chewed through wiring harness and rear light stopped working. $800 to repair. Any suggestions on how to stop the mice from getting in the garage or getting rid of them? Been parking cars in this garage for 3 years never had a problem before now.