Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A-pillar speaker grille -- how to remove?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after being driven insane by a mysterious rattle whenever I went over a bump, I found the source of the rattle to be a semi-loose speaker grille on the A-pillar. Since going to a service center is not really a convenient option, does anyone know the steps to popping that grille out so I can add some something to stabilize it? Do I have to take out the trim on the whole pillar or does the grille pop out as-is?

I think you'll have to take it apart, and my guess is you'll find a broken or misaligned fastener. Might also be possible to fix the problem with a well-placed thump, if it's just a misaligned clip. I had one of those under the IC cover, when my car was new.

The exact procedure may vary depending on when your car was made. But taking it apart looks like a small chore: remove the panel on the side of the IC, then the A-pillar middle trim next to that, then the A-pillar trim above that, which should expose the speaker. Mostly clips, but there are a few screws too.

I lost an RFID card for a parking garage between the dash and the A-pillar. I was able to fish it out with an angled plastic trim-panel tool twice, but the 3rd time is really in there. It's $50 for a replacement card and I'm debating if it's worth the trouble and risk of removing the A-pillar trim in hopes of getting the card out. Is it pretty straight forward? Any tips or tricks?

Car is a 2013 MS 85.