Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A possible solution to the autopilot nags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my idea for airplanes! Sigh, should've patented it. Once every 15-20 minutes, disconnect all the controls and simulate a catastrophic malfunction or stall. If the pilots don't correctly react to it, send them to retraining camp and penalize their performance ratings.

(More studies needed to how that affects the lifespan of a pilot)

Silly. I'm sure the pilots wouldn't mind, but the passengers sure would...

Maybe this is totally dumb but why doesn't Tesla require the driver to push one of the buttons on the steering wheel to show they are paying attention instead of nudging the steering wheel?

Pushing a button on the steering wheel would seem to have a lot of advantages:
1) It would still show that the driver is paying attention
2) It can't be hacked with a fruit. LOL
3) It avoids the problem of drivers trying to grip the wheel or tug at the wheel uncomfortably.
4) It would allow more comfortable hands-free driving while still providing a safety feature.

Ask and ye shall receive:
But in the new 2018.34 software update, Tesla updated it so that any interaction with the steering wheel, like using the scrolls or buttons, can count and reset the Autopilot nag.

Tesla made it easier to reset Autopilot ‘nag’ with latest software update

Reactions: diplomat33
Exciting. I need to test it soon.

I can confirm it works. Engaging the turn signal, pressing any button, or using one of the scroll wheels makes the nag go away.

Can't say I find it a particularly better solution than just resting your hand on the wheel, but if you're willing to fiddle with your brightness/volume or change a lane every 20 seconds or so, you can live the nag-free life once again.

• Funny
Reactions: jrad6515
I can confirm it works. Engaging the turn signal, pressing any button, or using one of the scroll wheels makes the nag go away.

Can't say I find it a particularly better solution than just resting your hand on the wheel, but if you're willing to fiddle with your brightness/volume or change a lane every 20 seconds or so, you can live the nag-free life once again.

I have gotten really used to tugging the wheel to dismiss the nag. I've gotten it down to almost a subconscious act. So I am curious how I feel about using the scroll wheel instead.

I have gotten really used to tugging the wheel to dismiss the nag. I've gotten it down to almost a subconscious act. So I am curious how I feel about using the scroll wheel instead.

For me using the right scroll wheel is awkward and the left one is hard coded to the volume, so not as practical in my mind.

I see this more as a way for incidental operation of the controls to reduce unnecessary nags, which is a good thing - but it's not really useful as a way to not, you know, actually hold the wheel.

For me using the right scroll wheel is awkward and the left one is hard coded to the volume, so not as practical in my mind.

I see this more as a way for incidental operation of the controls to reduce unnecessary nags, which is a good thing - but it's not really useful as a way to not, you know, actually hold the wheel.

So I got to test it a little on my way home from work today. I kinda like it. I used the left scroll wheel to dismiss the nags. I just move it one notch up or down so it doesn't change the volume that much. you are right that it does not replace holding the wheel but it is a neat "hands free" way of dismissing the nags.

Can you really tell the difference between each minor scroll of the volume scroll wheel?

I just counted, and there are 11 volume levels with 3 scrolls of the wheel per level (except for level 11, which only has one scroll) so that’s 31 wheel scrolls from min to max volume.

I would personally be happy to use the volume scroll wheel to dismiss the nag. Now I just need 2018.34 :)

Or... You could just hold the wheel as instructed...

I've driven thousands of miles on AP1 and can count on one hand how many nags I've received over the almost 3 years of doing so...

I really don't see why so many of you can't seem to use the feature properly...???

Jeff
The problem I find is on my wife's EAP2 Model X, holding the steering wheel with two hands at 9 and 3, which is the appropriate way to hold a steering wheel, means you are counter balancing the weight applied to the wheel. On straight, flat highway sections this results in the car thinking you're not holding the wheel and nagging constantly. It's super annoying.

For whatever reason, I don't get these nags on my AP1 Model S.