Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A really daft EV charging question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you drive off while still connected to a charger or does the car prevent you selecting drive or reverse? I know I'm gonna do it when I get my car in the first few weeks at least once!
Had a google for it but obviously I am unique in my foolishness.

I saw this in a video the other day - the car prevents you from shifting into Drive or Reverse while the charger is plugged in.

Bjorn tested this while letting kids play the beach racing game on his Model 3. He just plugged a Type 2 cable into the car and the shifter was locked, even thought the cable wasn't plugged into anything and not charging.

I think all the manufacturers assume we drivers are all idiots and will try this. Obviously I’ve not got my Tesla, but on my old Leaf and the current Kona you both get a warning that the car is plugged in when you switch on, and a further warning when you try and select drive, which is locked out
A friend of mine (ahem!) tried to do it in the Kona once :D

I had similar questions with my recent cars - What happens if you press the start/stop button doing 80mph down the motorway & what happens if you try to put the parking brake on while moving?

Start stop button (Koleos & Octavia) - nothing
Parking brake (Koleos) - at low speeds <10mph it came on as normal with just a single pull on the switch. At higher speeds you had to hold the switch and the brake gradually came on which is useful to know if your regular brakes fail.

All of this technology is new to us and sometimes the best way to find out is to just do it. Remember that petrol stations in the US and other countries allow you to lock the handle on the pump so you don't need to keep hold of it. This leads to people forgetting and driving off without disconnecting. The EVs having a warning message is preferable to fitting a breakaway in the cable which is the current method for fuel pumps.