Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A thread for people with no problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 7 years, we had one problem with my Roadster, so I guess that doesn't count.
In 5 years, we have had one problem with my wife's S, so I guess that doesn't count.

I have another Model S, however, that now has 32k miles and no problems with it! So let's count that one.

I wrote the above in September of 2017. I kept that Model S until Sep 2018 and 49k miles, and never did have any problems with it.

In May 2018, I got my first 3. I only kept it 6 months, but the delivery and car were both perfect - no issues whatsoever.

In Nov 2018, I got a second 3. It has 13k miles. The delivery and car were both perfect - no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: StealthP3D and TLej
This thread has been quiet for a while!

I'm coming up on 4 years and only a few minor problems here and there. The scariest was last October north of Lake Shasta on I-5 all the tire pressure sensors went nuts over a span of about 5 minutes saying all 4 tires were getting dangerously low. I pulled off, rebooted the car, and that didn't work. I called Tesla roadside assistance and they told me to pump up the tires ASAP. I did and the problem went away, but as the day wore on I had to keep bleeding air off the tires at every stop because they were over pressure.

The 90% range had been 268 miles since day 1, but at a stop in Sacramento I charged to 95% and the 90% has been 262 miles ever since. Though one leg of the trip mostly level in the valley the miles driven plus miles remaining was 269 so I think it's reporting low now.

That and one flat tire is about it for problems.

Just a helpful note:

It sounds like your tire pressures were dangerously low - that's why the alarms went off. I will note that Interstate 5 rises to over 3500 feet above sea level north of Lake Shasta. Usually, the temperature drops as you go up in the mountains which compounds the low-pressure problem caused by the reduction in barometric pressure.

You mention that you had to bleed off air as you continued to drive because they were "over-pressure". A lot of people don't know this but tires should be over the recommended pressure as you drive the car because the recommended pressure is always stated as a "cold" pressure. That means first thing in the morning before you have driven a mile. Tires with a 44 PSI recommended cold pressure and 50 psi maximum pressure will typically rise to as high as 50 psi after freeway driving. And it is perfectly safe to set them at 50 psi cold and watch them rise to well over 50 psi as they heat up. This does not take them over the maximum inflation pressure because that is a cold pressure.

Another little known fact is that you will have a much higher rate of flat tires if you run them at the low-end of the recommended pressure range. This can happen (for example) if you set the tire pressure while they are warm from driving. It's best to inflate the tires to the recommended pressure when they are cold but, if you must inflate them when they are already warm, it's best to inflate them to about 4-5 psi above the recommended PSI to compensate for the fact that they are not cold.

I've found many manufacturers quote a relatively low recommended pressure. While this can increase the smoothness of the ride it is not optimum for performance driving. It can also cause a higher rate of flat tires. A lower tire pressure causes the tires to build more heat after extended freeway driving so it's especially important to make sure you have enough pressure for a long trip. Your tires will run cooler with less sidewall flexing which will extend their life and make them more resistant to picking up nails, screws or other road debris that can work into the tread area. For sporty performance driving, most non-performance tires will overheat from extended performance driving. More air pressure keeps them in the optimum temperature range and avoids that "greasy" feeling that happens when the rubber gets too hot. It also helps prevent the sidewalls from tucking under during hard cornering which maintains a larger contact patch when you need it most.

That said, many Americans are accustomed to the cushy ride provided by flexy chassis, softly sprung suspensions and tall tire sidewalls. So a Tesla, with properly inflated low-profile sidewalls and more firm suspension can feel to many Americans like the ride is too firm and responsive. The natural instinct might be to let air out of the tires which is exactly the wrong thing to do. Unless you like tire pressure alarms and flat tires/bent rims.

I wrote the above in September of 2017. I kept that Model S until Sep 2018 and 49k miles, and never did have any problems with it.

In May 2018, I got my first 3. I only kept it 6 months, but the delivery and car were both perfect - no issues whatsoever.

In Nov 2018, I got a second 3. It has 13k miles. The delivery and car were both perfect - no issues whatsoever.
Out of curiosity, why such high turnover on your cars?

I had a Roadster for 7 years. Then I leased an S for 2 (they offered a 2-year lease in Sept 2016), because I needed something my elderly mother could get in to, but I really wanted a 3 which wasn't yet available. I got a 3 RWD just before local incentives expired...then sold it for every penny I had in to it a few months later, and got a P3D instead. I have had that for almost a year and a half.

My wife had an S for 5 years. Then 2.5 years ago she got an X because her elderly father was having trouble getting in to the S.

So, turnover reasons...2 accommodating elderly parents, 1 lease end, and 1 upgrade opportunity.

Just a helpful note:

It sounds like your tire pressures were dangerously low - that's why the alarms went off. I will note that Interstate 5 rises to over 3500 feet above sea level north of Lake Shasta. Usually, the temperature drops as you go up in the mountains which compounds the low-pressure problem caused by the reduction in barometric pressure.

You mention that you had to bleed off air as you continued to drive because they were "over-pressure". A lot of people don't know this but tires should be over the recommended pressure as you drive the car because the recommended pressure is always stated as a "cold" pressure. That means first thing in the morning before you have driven a mile. Tires with a 44 PSI recommended cold pressure and 50 psi maximum pressure will typically rise to as high as 50 psi after freeway driving. And it is perfectly safe to set them at 50 psi cold and watch them rise to well over 50 psi as they heat up. This does not take them over the maximum inflation pressure because that is a cold pressure.

Another little known fact is that you will have a much higher rate of flat tires if you run them at the low-end of the recommended pressure range. This can happen (for example) if you set the tire pressure while they are warm from driving. It's best to inflate the tires to the recommended pressure when they are cold but, if you must inflate them when they are already warm, it's best to inflate them to about 4-5 psi above the recommended PSI to compensate for the fact that they are not cold.

I've found many manufacturers quote a relatively low recommended pressure. While this can increase the smoothness of the ride it is not optimum for performance driving. It can also cause a higher rate of flat tires. A lower tire pressure causes the tires to build more heat after extended freeway driving so it's especially important to make sure you have enough pressure for a long trip. Your tires will run cooler with less sidewall flexing which will extend their life and make them more resistant to picking up nails, screws or other road debris that can work into the tread area. For sporty performance driving, most non-performance tires will overheat from extended performance driving. More air pressure keeps them in the optimum temperature range and avoids that "greasy" feeling that happens when the rubber gets too hot. It also helps prevent the sidewalls from tucking under during hard cornering which maintains a larger contact patch when you need it most.

That said, many Americans are accustomed to the cushy ride provided by flexy chassis, softly sprung suspensions and tall tire sidewalls. So a Tesla, with properly inflated low-profile sidewalls and more firm suspension can feel to many Americans like the ride is too firm and responsive. The natural instinct might be to let air out of the tires which is exactly the wrong thing to do. Unless you like tire pressure alarms and flat tires/bent rims.

I know the pressure should go up when the tired get warm, but the pressure was getting within a couple of psi of the maximum rated pressure. I had spent the night in Dunsmuire and I was about 30 miles down the road when the sensors when nuts.