Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tri-House Solar Panel Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ramphex

Pre-re-re-refresh MS Owner
Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2021
Tampa Bay Area
I'm doing a solar panel build on 3 different houses, all within 1/2 mile of each other. I figured this thread might be beneficial for those who are looking into build times, problems, price increases, adjustments, etc. I will keep tracking the house updates in the original post (if possible) and will add progress pictures in the following posts, then link to the posts with pictures in the original post. Let's see how Tesla will do with 3 separate projects, right next to each other, and if they're up to the challenge of completing all in a reasonable amount of time.

Let me know if anyone wants any specific information to be added as I'm willing to share anything that could help someone else with their solar journey.

House 1
04/13/22 - Order Placed for 19.2kW w/3 Powerwalls, home assessment completed, HOA form signed
04/19/22 - Received an email from EnergyOrdersNA advising the design is taking longer than expected
Today - Awaiting the System Design

House 2
04/14/22 - Order Placed for 9.6kW w/2 Powerwalls, home assessment completed, HOA form signed
04/19/22 - Received an email from EnergyOrdersNA advising the design is taking longer than expected

House 3
04/15/22 - Order Placed for 12kW w/2 Powerwalls, home assessment completed, HOA form signed

can you delete it and start over
I would have to delete it and start over every time there’s an update. Someone has restricted editing of posts after X amount of time, and I guess they’re not willing to change it for whatever reason. I’ll find another platform to post these builds on and share it with you if you’re interested in the information.

I would have to delete it and start over every time there’s an update. Someone has restricted editing of posts after X amount of time, and I guess they’re not willing to change it for whatever reason. I’ll find another platform to post these builds on and share it with you if you’re interested in the information.
Just add updates to the thread. This is what I Have done when things change. No big deal

Reactions: Vines
I could do that, it’ll be super disorganized if any conversation arises in between. I’ll post updates here but keep a good organized flow somewhere else since this platform isn’t “build” friendly.

That is the setting the owners of TMC have set, and I certainly am not able to change it. You would need to just make another post in your thread, it would not be considered thread bumping if you are adding new information. If that doesnt work for you though, and you would prefer the thread deleted, please report your initial post and ask for it to be deleted (or you can just leave it like this if you prefer too).

That is the setting the owners of TMC have set, and I certainly am not able to change it. You would need to just make another post in your thread, it would not be considered thread bumping if you are adding new information. If that doesnt work for you though, and you would prefer the thread deleted, please report your initial post and ask for it to be deleted (or you can just leave it like this if you prefer too).
I’ll post updates in here as someone else has asked, and keep a timeline organized post that I can edit somewhere else.

Some threads just get really messy trying to scroll through posts to find updates. I’m sure you know that.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Just for context on my install, from order to design took about six weeks and that was back in mid-2021 when they weren't nearly as backed up.

From order to install was 3 1/2 months, partially delayed due to some back and forth between Tesla and my utility on paperwork.

PTO was about a month after install (should have been two weeks but Tesla installed a wrong sized breaker and it failed inspection).

Then a few months of inverter issues (and missed service appointments) and a missing CT on my non-backup load.

System finally operating as expected in February 2022 about eight months after I started this process. Very happy now, but it was a long slog to get here.

Spoke to multiple advisors on different occasions. The response is they're busy and they're still reviewing my electric bill. 16 days and no design. Starting to reconsider other companies at higher price. I have gotten 4 quotes with designs while waiting on Tesla. IQ8 micro-inverters are also looking more and more promising.

Today completes the 18th day with no design for any of the 3 houses. Also today I signed a contract with another company for House 1. 20kw system with 3 powerwalls. 400w CS black on black panels w/IQ8A micro-inverters.

The price is higher but they got a design to me within hours and then setup a live chat to answer any questions. I didn’t have many questions since I’ve spent the last 18 days doing more and more research, and also comparing quotes from other companies, but that was a reassuring feeling that this company might have my back, where I can’t say the same for Tesla.

Today completes the 18th day with no design for any of the 3 houses. Also today I signed a contract with another company for House 1. 20kw system with 3 powerwalls. 400w CS black on black panels w/IQ8A micro-inverters.

The price is higher but they got a design to me within hours and then setup a live chat to answer any questions. I didn’t have many questions since I’ve spent the last 18 days doing more and more research, and also comparing quotes from other companies, but that was a reassuring feeling that this company might have my back, where I can’t say the same for Tesla.
How much higher was the system through the other company compared to going directly through Tesla?

How much higher was the system through the other company compared to going directly through Tesla?
$12k.

Still no design from Tesla on all 3 houses. 20 days today.

0AB3C36A-C784-4FD9-8D75-79B46BECD3E8.png

Reactions: no2gates

If I were you, I would probably contact the company you went with on house 1, and see if they can do a package deal for house 2 and 3. Tesla wont care about a package deal for something like that, but maybe the other company will (they likely will).

There is little chance that tesla is going to meet your expectations, at any point in this purchase process.

If I were you, I would probably contact the company you went with on house 1, and see if they can do a package deal for house 2 and 3. Tesla wont care about a package deal for something like that, but maybe the other company will (they likely will).

There is little chance that tesla is going to meet your expectations, at any point in this purchase process.
I’m currently working on a package deal. 20 days with no design is just unacceptable. I get delays with permitting that’s out of their control, and sometimes being backed up for a couple of days for other reasons, but 20 days is not okay.

I’m currently working on a package deal. 20 days with no design is just unacceptable. I get delays with permitting that’s out of their control, and sometimes being backed up for a couple of days for other reasons, but 20 days is not okay.
When I was comparing Solar providers, I found that each of them, including Tesla, have 'canned' packages... small, medium, large, with or without batteries (Tesla only with batteries). All of them could give me a canned 'design' in a day. But it wasn't a detailed design. My detailed design is a 7 sheet drawing of exactly how the system would be installed on my house including the calculation of current on conductors right down to the labels. It also has data sheets for each piece of equipment. The design has to meet the specific city building codes which can vary from city to city, and of course which electric company owns the power line to the house. The Three Line drawing is the document that is eventually sent to the city to get a permit and is used during inspection and also to the power company for the interconnect agreement. I'm not making excuses for Tesla, but maybe the level of design you are getting from the local company is not a detailed design but a canned package. The local company might have a better handle on the city's codes and the power company. But the reality is, Tesla is over subscribed and they do seem to be slow. The other thing you will learn is that if you want to change the design it will cost you some money. I added some additional panels to my design. It cost me $200 plus the additional cost of the panels. It was worth it... actually I wished I had gone bigger! A 3-house deal with a local company might be worth it even at a slighter higher cost. They will be more responsive if things go wrong than Telsa will be.