Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Fidelity Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey! I don't hang around here enough, but really should. I noticed my video was shared and thought someone might be interested in the follow-up I made. It does the trash can test with a snowman, shows doubt garage doors opening, and how high fidelity parking handles (very) busy parking lots.

Enjoy!
Sounds like it's accurate enough to stop when it says 'stop' but car has no clue (no front bumper camera yet) to provide more detail. Guess it's better than before (with no ultrasonic sensors). Thanks.

Nice to know snowmen everywhere will be safe. Unfortunately, garbage cans better watch out, as they get no love.
lol. you speak the truth.

In the original video, the "hi fi" parking did detect the garbage can --- but then, rather than processing it as an arbitrary shape (like the snowman is a cylinder), it converted it into the garbage can graphic. And, in doing so, positioned it incorrectly. So perhaps there is room for Tesla to improve things.

Reactions: Dracaris
The other day I was in a drive thru and "Hifi" park assist was on. The usual gray blobs with undefined edges were present, then a guy went jogging by and it was incredible to see how detailed and sharp his image looked among the gray blobs. Looks like Tesla is prioritizing pedestrian safety, which is cool. Just wish it was all as detailed as that.

lol. you speak the truth.

In the original video, the "hi fi" parking did detect the garbage can --- but then, rather than processing it as an arbitrary shape (like the snowman is a cylinder), it converted it into the garbage can graphic. And, in doing so, positioned it incorrectly. So perhaps there is room for Tesla to improve things.
Sooo not on topic but from your forum image I rarely see other pin heads! I have those games and 50 more. Such a crazy addictive hobby. Sorry for the off topic…..

IMG_1880.jpeg
IMG_3792.jpeg

Sounds like it's accurate enough to stop when it says 'stop' but car has no clue (no front bumper camera yet) to provide more detail. Guess it's better than before (with no ultrasonic sensors). Thanks.
dsm363, I notice that I have just received a further update 2023.44.30.7 for High Fidelity, which claims minor improvements which is great. My concern with Vision that it not great at best when all cameras are clean, not fogged up and in daylight, but just after a short drive in winter the camera vision will be degraded with the usual message indicating system cannot be relied upon. I am aware that late 2023 on HW4 models have much better cameras and have heaters to de-fog them. In reality when needed the function will not be there, so for parking the removal of USS sensors was one of Tesla's biggest mistakes that can be added to the window screen wipers. Hope I am proved wrong

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris and dsm363
dsm363, I notice that I have just received a further update 2023.44.30.7 for High Fidelity, which claims minor improvements which is great. My concern with Vision that it not great at best when all cameras are clean, not fogged up and in daylight, but just after a short drive in winter the camera vision will be degraded with the usual message indicating system cannot be relied upon. I am aware that late 2023 on HW4 models have much better cameras and have heaters to de-fog them. In reality when needed the function will not be there, so for parking the removal of USS sensors was one of Tesla's biggest mistakes that can be added to the window screen wipers. Hope I am proved wrong
Not picking sides on the topic but would note all solutions Can have an issue with poor weather. Drove from Chicago to Virginia during a snow sleet with our USS car and had to pull over multiple times as the alarms continuously went off as snow/ice formed on the front bumper. Rather unpleasant trip and certainly not the norm but did highlight that no solution is foolproof.

• Informative
Not picking sides on the topic but would note all solutions Can have an issue with poor weather. Drove from Chicago to Virginia during a snow sleet with our USS car and had to pull over multiple times as the alarms continuously went off as snow/ice formed on the front bumper. Rather unpleasant trip and certainly not the norm but did highlight that no solution is foolproof.
Yes you make a god point and its true with build up of snow but less far less impacted on other weather conditions, plus Vision cameras would also be affected with snow. But point taken,

Reactions: Yelobird
  • Love
Reactions: Yelobird and jebinc
Tesla's classification of this issue as "normal" is both misleading and unacceptable. For the first 11 months of owning the car, I experienced none of the screen cloudiness that has suddenly become an apparent standard for Tesla. This is far from what one would expect from a feature purported to offer high-fidelity park assist. On the contrary, it serves as a significant distraction and, more concerningly, a potential safety hazard during operation.

Further compounding this issue is the complete absence of any mention in the firmware release notes. This lack of transparency leaves Tesla owners, myself included, blindsided by a problem we had no reason to anticipate. Such oversight not only undermines trust in Tesla's commitment to quality and safety but also calls into question the adequacy of its communication with customers regarding known issues.