Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Fidelity Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's what I thought I even reversed back into the garage and drove out towards the bin a couple of times thinking that it would be picked up, but no AI said path clear. I then drove back into the garage and placed a second bin next to the one in the picture, drove out again and this time did show some activity in fuzzy colours which as I got closer disappeared. The metal gate then started to shut and it did show a gray shaded area moving from right to left and, but no bin. Clearly this was of great concern and wondering if the bins would be invisible to refuge collectors. I will try driving in and reversing later to see if the rear camera makes a difference.
Today, reversing was much better, clearly the rear camera picked it up of sorts, it did show the refuge bin by yellow and red blobs contact with the vehicle, but accuracy out by 1.4 meters, no accuracy but lovely shades. Tried rotation but made little to no difference.

Pics attached

Attachments

• Vis.1.jpg
    Vis.1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Vis.2.jpg
    Vis.2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 26
The thing that trips me up is that this parking assist is mostly useful if you’re futzing around with the screen and moving the scene around while simultaneously parking.

The overhead blob view is only marginally useful and nowhere near as handy as the inches/cm display of my USS cars. Maybe it’ll get more useful over time. Sure looks cool though.

The thing that trips me up is that this parking assist is mostly useful if you’re futzing around with the screen and moving the scene around while simultaneously parking.

The overhead blob view is only marginally useful and nowhere near as handy as the inches/cm display of my USS cars. Maybe it’ll get more useful over time. Sure looks cool though.
Uss is essentially useless in preventing a curb from detaching my front splitter. Tesla simply needs to implement the front camera like everyone else. However, low fidelity parking assist seems to indicate they’re doubling down on this strategy. Being an engineer at Tesla must be maddening trying to work with your hands tied behind your back.

Reactions: dsm363
Uss is essentially useless in preventing a curb from detaching my front splitter. Tesla simply needs to implement the front camera like everyone else. However, low fidelity parking assist seems to indicate they’re doubling down on this strategy. Being an engineer at Tesla must be maddening trying to work with your hands tied behind your back.
The high fidelity thing actually gave me confidence in curb rendering and encouraged me to crunch my splitter and curb my wheel last Sunday.

I’d rather have zero expectations of a capability rather than a fuzzy and inaccurate representation of what the car sees. After that incident I don’t have any confidence in high fidelity for any functions whereas I knew exactly where I could and couldn’t trust USS.

Maybe it’ll get better over time but for now it’s like the stupid wipers; a Silicon Valley solution to a solved problem.

Today, reversing was much better, clearly the rear camera picked it up of sorts, it did show the refuge bin by yellow and red blobs contact with the vehicle, but accuracy out by 1.4 meters, no accuracy but lovely shades. Tried rotation but made little to no difference.

Pics attached
Refuse bin. Not refuge. Sorry. Then again, we could all use some seeking of refuge from this park assist, it seems.

what a disaster is this new park assist. With this grey clouds on screen have no clue what is next to you and where.
Any way to reverse to the old??
Revert to what, jumping squiggly lines? In a nutshell, this thing is better than what we had before and somewhat usable, but you'd better not be trusting it explicitly. Think of it like FSD, only worse.

Was backing out of a spot recently between some tall vehicles at a dept store lot. It was nice to see vehicles (blobs) passing behind me in real time, as I backed out.

My far batter half, unprompted, said the new HFPA screen looks like the inside of the Bat Cave, no matter where we are parking. However, we both like that it's now possible to see alignment with the lines on the ground in a parking lot.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Nice lil video of this guy testing "HiFi" park assist. Some garage, garbage can, parking lot and curb action. Take what you want from it. Overall, like most things Tesla, you can't put too much trust in it and there are no distance measurements. Still it's way better than what was before. Note that he drives up and touches the garbage can, yet the car still estimates some distance between.

Hey! I don't hang around here enough, but really should. I noticed my video was shared and thought someone might be interested in the follow-up I made. It does the trash can test with a snowman, shows doubt garage doors opening, and how high fidelity parking handles (very) busy parking lots.

Enjoy!