Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Fidelity Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the minority here clearly but you folks like this rendering? How is this superior to a high resolution “real” 360 image assisted with parking sensors?

While 360 is also susceptible to image deterioration when cameras are covered but at least then the sensors take over and help with the distance to the obstacle.

This whole parking assistance situation looks really amateur compared to how great the car is once it starts driving.

I am the minority here clearly but you folks like this rendering? How is this superior to a high resolution “real” 360 image assisted with parking sensors?

While 360 is also susceptible to image deterioration when cameras are covered but at least then the sensors take over and help with the distance to the obstacle.

This whole parking assistance situation looks really amateur compared to how great the car is once it starts driving.
It's not superior but it's what we have since Elon eliminated all sensors other than cameras. But it's gotten to the point where at least it's not horrible.

It's not superior but it's what we have since Elon eliminated all sensors other than cameras. But it's gotten to the point where at least it's not horrible.

Please do not take this the wrong way as I am just here for a healthy / fun debate. Has the bar now come down to "not horrible" for Tesla? Are they resting on their laurels? Or are they only focusing on FSD and have given up on other more important features for a day-to-day driver (e.g., I could not care less about FSD)? What does this car do to outweigh this shortcoming (removal of sensors and radar) that other EV do not?

Most EV will now use super-charging network in the next year or two without major hiccups. Most EV also have the range that Tesla also does. Most EV also have sensors and radars that enable features like cross traffic alert with direction indicator / 360 camera / front camera / car-play / auto / ventilated seats / head-up display / driver cluster / adaptive suspension, etc. that Teslas do not (minus X that has cooled seats / driver cluster / adaptive suspension). Most already have incredibly plush interior and build quality that may even be slightly better than what Tesla has today in their 3 and Y that appear fairly spartan (but functional - do not get me wrong).

I am genuinely curious as to how Tesla are still able to attract literally millions when there are objectively better vehicles, some even EV, out there. What are your thoughts? Again, I am NOT trying to offend anyone, I am just genuinely putting my thoughts across.

Reactions: dsm363 and teko
Please do not take this the wrong way as I am just here for a healthy / fun debate. Has the bar now come down to "not horrible" for Tesla? Are they resting on their laurels? Or are they only focusing on FSD and have given up on other more important features for a day-to-day driver (e.g., I could not care less about FSD)? What does this car do to outweigh this shortcoming (removal of sensors and radar) that other EV do not?

Most EV will now use super-charging network in the next year or two without major hiccups. Most EV also have the range that Tesla also does. Most EV also have sensors and radars that enable features like cross traffic alert with direction indicator / 360 camera / front camera / car-play / auto / ventilated seats / head-up display / driver cluster / adaptive suspension, etc. that Teslas do not (minus X that has cooled seats and driver cluster). Most already have incredibly plush interior and build quality that may even be slightly better than what Tesla has today in their 3 and Y that appear fairly spartan (but functional - do not get me wrong).

I am genuinely curious as to how Tesla are still able to attract literally millions when there are objectively better vehicles, some even EV, out there. What are your thoughts? Again, I am NOT trying to offend anyone, I am just genuinely putting my thoughts across.
It's as you say, they're resting on their laurels. Buzz / word of mouth is what kept them going so far. They haven't had major improvements to... anything in years. Their only new consumer product is the cybertruck which is a dud so far. The Semi still only exists in prototype form. There's a reason their sales are slowing down and their stock is cratering. And that ultimately all boils down to the man at the top.

My sense (and hope) is what they are releasing is not the “best” rendering available and higher resolution / smoother rendering is coming. It could also be running in “shadow mode” so that engineering can verify / validate the coding. Consider this “phased” or MVP release. Tesla (as most software companies do), release in waves and want to get the product out. If they do “big bang” releases, nothing would ever get out there. What most feel is “incomplete software”, could just be an initial version with more refined version coming.

Flip side is - Elon said Tesla would render other Tesla’s as the actual model on the screen was “coming”. Yet it is not here.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Most EV also have sensors and radars that enable features like cross traffic alert with direction indicator / 360 camera / front camera / car-play / auto / ventilated seats / head-up display / driver cluster / adaptive suspension, etc. that Teslas do not (minus X that has cooled seats / driver cluster / adaptive suspension).
The Model S has the same features as the Model X: cooled seats / driver cluster / adaptive suspension. Even the Model 3 has cooled seats now. (I think only the Model Y lacks them at this point.)

As far as the park sensors/360 camera, I have seen people report that they think that the current version is better than the USS park sensors and 360 cameras in most vehicles. (Clearly shows curbs on the side and such that the USS can't.) I haven't seen it for myself yet, as my Tesla has USS. But I am looking forward to getting the new park assist and AutoPark features, once they roll them out to everyone.

The Model S has the same features as the Model X: cooled seats / driver cluster / adaptive suspension. Even the Model 3 has cooled seats now. (I think only the Model Y lacks them at this point.)

As far as the park sensors/360 camera, I have seen people report that they think that the current version is better than the USS park sensors and 360 cameras in most vehicles. (Clearly shows curbs on the side and such that the USS can't.) I haven't seen it for myself yet, as my Tesla has USS. But I am looking forward to getting the new park assist and AutoPark features, once they roll them out to everyone.

I have seen what their high fidelity park assist does, and it is not even close to what a good 360 camera can do. Auto park is cool. But I’ll probably never need it. 360 however is a game changer and takes a lot of stress out if you’re driving a bigger car. Again, just my personal opinion.

Reactions: teko and terranx

Most EV will now use super-charging network in the next year or two without major hiccups. Most EV also have the range that Tesla also does. Most EV also have sensors and radars that enable features like cross traffic alert with direction indicator / 360 camera / front camera / car-play / auto / ventilated seats / head-up display / driver cluster / adaptive suspension, etc. that Teslas do not (minus X that has cooled seats / driver cluster / adaptive suspension). Most already have incredibly plush interior and build quality that may even be slightly better than what Tesla has today in their 3 and Y that appear fairly spartan (but functional - do not get me wrong).

They had/have a massive and very loyal following for the first decade with Elon being at the center. We won't talk about his side issues or politics with him but he also has probably forced the autopilot team to do things against their wishes. They clearly weren't ready to eliminate some of the sensors to go vision only but that's what they did. This is my first Tesla with Autopilot or FSD so don't know all the iterations but have used it over the years in other cars to test it and it wasn't great. Along with questionable decisions (yoke, lack of center horn, turn signal/gear selector stalks...... with plenty of threads about those issues), it's started to turn some buyers off. Maybe not a lot but not sure Tesla can afford to assume everyone will come back next time.

Tesla truly had no legitimate competition in the 150+ mile range EV car until just a few years ago.

I have seen what their high fidelity park assist does, and it is not even close to what a good 360 camera can do. Auto park is cool. But I’ll probably never need it. 360 however is a game changer and takes a lot of stress out if you’re driving a bigger car. Again, just my personal opinion.
My original Model S had just ultrasonic parking sensors and that was it. And that was fine really. So current system is definitely a step up. 360 would be nice and probably needed to keep up with competition but don't think it's mandatory (assuming Tesla can get close with vision only). But they really shouldn't have gotten rid of the ultrasonic sensors to gauge distance.

Reactions: dsm363

I hope you get those updates soon. I just noticed something after driving a couple of Teslas enabled with park assist and vision system. The older Tesla that has HW3 (and subpar cameras) faired worse than the newest HW4 equipped Tesla which also comes with cameras that are day and night better than older ones especially at night. I have a theory that the newer cameras have wider apertures that helps capture more light. They’re also much higher in resolution.

All in all, while HW4 board itself is not doing much if anything at all in the actual driving of the car and FSD (it’s in simulation), the newest model’s cameras are WAY better. And eventually, if Tesla actually gets their act together and improve the vision system substantially, the older cameras will face inherent limitations with the older cameras because, well, their vision is not as good as the new eyes!