Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either he's a very uncomfortable race car driver, not a very good race car driver, or that friggen yoke thing was the issue. Watching the video, have never seen a professional race car driver zig-zagging so much with the steering wheel. Even when going straight, he's still constantly correcting quickly left/right the entire lap. Watch other similar type videos, drivers keep a nice smooth wheel.

Seems like it's not real easy to control that thing at high speeds as he was having constantly correct all the way through. Again, either that, or he's just not a very good driver. In any case, had he kept the wheel straight and driven A LOT smoother than he did, lap would have been significantly faster. Get Randy Probst in there.

This video sure as heck did noting to instill confidence that the Yoke is better. Seems far worse even at high speeds.

Also, this was a test run of a "STOCK" car, so they couldn't change it. Per all the other race run videos that are not official runs for a record, they all switch it out for a full wheel for a reason. That reason isn't because the full wheel is worse!!!

Nope, watching that wheel jig/jag back and forth so violently the whole run, just solidified my own thoughts and experiences with it. I drove one, but not on a race track, but could see where it would be an issue, especially at high speeds.
Geez. Just recall the stupid Yoke.

Yeah, you’re right, no one signals anymore. Awesome. And just wait until you truly need the horn while the yoke is turned, or need reverse quickly to avoid a fender bender or worse. The new controls are absolute garbage. All the justifications for them them are: 1. Great at the track. (Cool, I have no interest in the track, my S is my family car, driving in the real world is entirely different.) 2. Great view of the FSD visualizations. (Um…I thought we’re supposed to watch the road? Didn’t Elon say FSD could, “…do the worst thing at the worst time?” Or are constant NHTSA crash investigations the goal?) 3. ‘It’s great when I’m not using it!’

The stalkless yoke is certainly coming to Cybertruck and thereafter to the rest of the fleet because Elon says it’s just great for FSD. How is FSD going to help a Cybertruck driver maneuver on fresh dirt while backing material at a job sight? How frustrating will snow plowing be with that stupid on-screen ‘shifter’? Oh right…Cybertruck is a show truck, not intended for real work.

Once stalkless yokes infect the entire fleet, a base model Hyundai Elantra will have superior primary control ergonomics to every Tesla.
Every new Tesla that gets infected my Crazy Elon and his stalkless yokes is another brand new Tesla I will never buy, recommend and discourage others to buy. It’s amazing. I used to give rides in my car, explain The features and promote the brand. Not anymore.

Maybe it is time for Tesla and Musk to part ways. While I give the guy quite a bit of credit for making viable, mainstream electric vehicles a reality, I think that his decision-making has perhaps now become impaired. The yoke is inexplicable on a production vehicle in my view. Perhaps he his more interested in Mars these days. Let’s ditch the mystique - Tesla is much more than just Elon.

I watched the Tesla Plaid 7:30 run and the Taycan 7:42 run side by side. They mostly run very similar corners so you can see the drivers' hands taking the same corners at mostly the same speed. There's much more control variation on the Model S, almost like it's about to lose it, whereas the Taycan seems in control. I don't know if it's driver, car, tires, or road. Still an impressive ride.

edited: grammar
Very interesting comparison. Could it be driving style? Rather than a function of steering, it almost looks like the Tesla driver is being more aggressive and manipulating the tires right at the edge of maintaining traction. I wonder how the tires differ between the 2 cars.

Yeah, you’re right, no one signals anymore. Awesome. And just wait until you truly need the horn while the yoke is turned, or need reverse quickly to avoid a fender bender or worse. The new controls are absolute garbage. All the justifications for them them are: 1. Great at the track. (Cool, I have no interest in the track, my S is my family car, driving in the real world is entirely different.) 2. Great view of the FSD visualizations. (Um…I thought we’re supposed to watch the road? Didn’t Elon say FSD could, “…do the worst thing at the worst time?” Or are constant NHTSA crash investigations the goal?) 3. ‘It’s great when I’m not using it!’

The stalkless yoke is certainly coming to Cybertruck and thereafter to the rest of the fleet because Elon says it’s just great for FSD. How is FSD going to help a Cybertruck driver maneuver on fresh dirt while backing material at a job sight? How frustrating will snow plowing be with that stupid on-screen ‘shifter’? Oh right…Cybertruck is a show truck, not intended for real work.

Once stalkless yokes infect the entire fleet, a base model Hyundai Elantra will have superior primary control ergonomics to every Tesla.
I think I said this on another thread, but thinking about the yoke when in auto it's a real liability.
The "driver" has to have hands-on control - and is going to have to have that for the forseeable future - which means one of two things IMHO:
1) He - and I really MEAN "he", because women are more sensible - ignores that and sits with his hands on lap watching the yoke turn hither and thither. Then, suddenly in a sharp turn he has to take control and to work out where the yoke is pointing ans where to grab it.
2) He (see above!) keeps hands on the yoke, or tries to during sharp turns - bl**dy tiring and also runs the risk of applying too much torque and disengaging the auto accidentally.
I won't go on about the stalkless issue because it appears that in the US people have forgotten about indicating out of opposite hard turns in roundabouts etc - but in TROTW it's quite easy to get traffic violations for not indicating or indicating incorrectly.
I've written to the Australian licencing office asking if they have considered the safety side of the yoke and await with interest the reply.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Every new Tesla that gets infected my Crazy Elon and his stalkless yokes is another brand new Tesla I will never buy, recommend and discourage others to buy. It’s amazing. I used to give rides in my car, explain The features and promote the brand. Not anymore.
I am in exactly the same boat here. Before the yolk and the 'holiday update' I was a solid fan (but not a fanboy), gave an honest positive recommendation to anybody who asked, and offered a number of test rides (several of which led to sales). Not so much any more. Anecdotally (at least in my circles) I see a lot more interest in EVs but a dramatically falling interest in Tesla's.

Either he's a very uncomfortable race car driver, not a very good race car driver, or that friggen yoke thing was the issue. Watching the video, have never seen a professional race car driver zig-zagging so much with the steering wheel. Even when going straight, he's still constantly correcting quickly left/right the entire lap. Watch other similar type videos, drivers keep a nice smooth wheel.

Seems like it's not real easy to control that thing at high speeds as he was having constantly correct all the way through. Again, either that, or he's just not a very good driver. In any case, had he kept the wheel straight and driven A LOT smoother than he did, lap would have been significantly faster. Get Randy Probst in there.

This video sure as heck did noting to instill confidence that the Yoke is better. Seems far worse even at high speeds.

Also, this was a test run of a "STOCK" car, so they couldn't change it. Per all the other race run videos that are not official runs for a record, they all switch it out for a full wheel for a reason. That reason isn't because the full wheel is worse!!!

Nope, watching that wheel jig/jag back and forth so violently the whole run, just solidified my own thoughts and experiences with it. I drove one, but not on a race track, but could see where it would be an issue, especially at high speeds.

The way he is constantly jerking on the yoke looks like he is fighting autopilot nags! 😁

Reactions: TessP100D
Between the yoke and the poor padding on the bottom seat cushion on my new plaid , the car just sits most the time while I drive my other cars. I don’t enjoy it and it’s sad because I really want to. The seats dont hug you at all and I feel like I have a metal bar under my ass.
The yoke and even more the turn signal buttons really do take away the "fun to drive" factor if you are on anything other than a highway.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Elon has already doubled down. Expect it in Cybertruck next, and soon, the entire fleet. Elon is nearly incapable of walking back a mistake.
I disagree. On a quarterly conference call, once he scolded an analyst for having suggested to raise more capital, in quite strong terms. Next month TSLA went back to capital markets with as far as i remember, a stock issue. There is a gracious way out, citing regulations of other markets for the shape of the steering wheel.

I disagree. On a quarterly conference call, once he scolded an analyst for having suggested to raise more capital, in quite strong terms. Next month TSLA went back to capital markets with as far as i remember, a stock issue. There is a gracious way out, citing regulations of other markets for the shape of the steering wheel.
I hope to God you’re correct. The stalkless controls are the worst ergonomics I’ve experienced in a car since a girl I knew in college drove an orange Dodge van named ‘Gunther’ with a ‘three-on-tree’ shifter.

Reactions: BCNY and Eugene Ash

We just have to hope that sanity at Tesla prevails. I very seriously struggle to decide whether the stalkless yoke or the idiocy about no wheel & pedals in a future model is the more dumb statement. Regardless those two points literally have me thinking about selling my stock as I have reservations about the companies future for the first time in years.

We just have to hope that sanity at Tesla prevails. I very seriously struggle to decide whether the stalkless yoke or the idiocy about no wheel & pedals in a future model is the more dumb statement. Regardless those two points literally have me thinking about selling my stock as I have reservations about the companies future for the first time in years.
I sold 20% of my stock right after the Model S yolk became official. I have been sitting on it for a while, so I still more than doubled my initial money. Long-term I still expect them to be fine, but we are probably gonna be in for a bumpy ride if Elon keeps insisting on trash like this.

I sold 20% of my stock right after the Model S yolk became official. I have been sitting on it for a while, so I still more than doubled my initial money. Long-term I still expect them to be fine, but we are probably gonna be in for a bumpy ride if Elon keeps insisting on trash like this.
I agree. A bumpy ride is coming. Sales will tank once the early demand is gone.

I'd say it was the tires. Street tires aren't made for tracks like Nurburgring. I'd like to see before and after pictures of the tires after that run.

Taycan wasn't remotely competitive. 12s? Might as well park it and walk. 😆😁;)

I watched the Tesla Plaid 7:30 run and the Taycan 7:42 run side by side. They mostly run very similar corners so you can see the drivers' hands taking the same corners at mostly the same speed. There's much more control variation on the Model S, almost like it's about to lose it, whereas the Taycan seems in control. I don't know if it's driver, car, tires, or road. Still an impressive ride.

edited: grammar