Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid smokes Porsche Taycan Turbo S on the strip. Porsche owners orders a Tesla. This same thing is going to happen on tracks all over the world as Tesla delivers more and more Plaids.

There's absolutely nothing any Taycan owner can do that will make it remotely competitive.

Reactions: WhiteWi
If you want a good Plaid review by someone who is a normal human being that doesn't drink Tesla Koolaid...

This quote about the Plaid is spot-on, but fanboys may need to clutch their pearls:

I love the Tesla Model 3 because it's a genuinely groundbreaking car that's accessible to many people. This, by contrast, is just a marketing exercise designed to create attention for an aging car and to satiate the egos of multi millionaires in cocktail bars.

Watch how impossible it is to steer and corner properly. The yoke is a joke. A terrible, horrible, awful joke on owners that only Elon Musk understands. A $130,000 "performance car" that doesn't corner properly because it only has half a steering wheel seems like a product designed by a company that dislikes the product and the customers who buy it.

Last edited:
If you want a good Plaid review by someone who is a normal human being that doesn't drink Tesla Koolaid...

This quote about the Plaid is spot-on, but fanboys may need to clutch their pearls:

Watch how impossible it is to steer and corner properly. The yoke is a joke. A terrible, horrible, awful joke on owners that only Elon Musk understands. A $130,000 "performance car" that doesn't corner properly because it only has half a steering wheel seems like a product designed by a company that dislikes the product and the customers who buy it.
Why Tesla, why why why.

stop the joke. Get rid of the yoke

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't simply make it an option. It's completely reasonable for people to want a more traditional steering wheel. Especially for the Model S LR.
The problem is that Tesla is currently anti-option, and wants to build everything identical. But I agree, this should definitely be an option. Making it an option pleases everyone and ends the yoke debate. Or to simplify, it would probably be satisfactory to go yokes for plaid, wheels for non-plaid.

I sold 20% of my stock right after the Model S yolk became official. I have been sitting on it for a while, so I still more than doubled my initial money. Long-term I still expect them to be fine, but we are probably gonna be in for a bumpy ride if Elon keeps insisting on trash like this.
I disagree, and here is why: Wait times for all models, including S. Long range into April-March timeframe. The majority of folks are not enthusiastic drivers who care about the steering wheel shape, they'll swallow it and let confirmation bias justify their switch. The hard-core racers take the yoke off and modify the cars anyway. And then there is a minority who like their stock cars with round wheels. A minority that from investment standpoint - does not matter. They can introduce round wheel *if* demand becomes a problem. It has not. Don't let your emotional reaction and confirmation bias (tesla going nowhere fast) guide your *investment* decisions.

I disagree, and here is why: Wait times for all models, including S. Long range into April-March timeframe. The majority of folks are not enthusiastic drivers who care about the steering wheel shape, they'll swallow it and let confirmation bias justify their switch. The hard-core racers take the yoke off and modify the cars anyway. And then there is a minority who like their stock cars with round wheels. A minority that from investment standpoint - does not matter. They can introduce round wheel *if* demand becomes a problem. It has not. Don't let your emotional reaction and confirmation bias (tesla going nowhere fast) guide your *investment* decisions.
Actions like this fundamentally make the cars less and less desirable to mainstream new car buyers. I disagree profoundly that most mainstream buyers will accept this kind of yolk+stalkless control scheme in most cars (and especially a pickup truck). Clearly some will (and are), but we have no way of knowing yet how many ultimately will. Since Tesla is still production constrained and still does not have strong competition in most of their segments any lost sales are still hidden. Both of those will probably be rather different in a year or so, at least if some of the other companies can actually execute.

Among my social groups, Tesla is not nearly as desirable as it used to be. And this is among a tech-savvy college-educated EV-loving (or tolerant) group in their 30's and 40's. And price is not the issue, the issue is the user-unfriendly design (and baffling unnecessary weirdness) that keeps being imposed. This is going to bite Tesla in the butt. Not today, and probably not this year. But it will, and I don't know how easy it will be to recover from.

Edmunds used to have a modicum of credibility and it got shredded. They're simply regurgitating all of the TSLAQ nonsense we've heard for years.

Strips: Plaid dominates
Tracks: See Nurburgring EV production record

All of this whining by these TSLAQ nicks isn't going to change any official strip and track records. Tesla isn't going bankwupt anytime in the near future.

Edmunds used to have a modicum of credibility and it got shredded. They're simply regurgitating all of the TSLAQ nonsense we've heard for years.

Strips: Plaid dominates
Tracks: See Nurburgring EV production record

All of this whining by these TSLAQ nicks isn't going to change any official strip and track records. Tesla isn't going bankwupt anytime in the near future.
and that's related to the yoke discussion *HOW* ?

Actions like this fundamentally make the cars less and less desirable to mainstream new car buyers. I disagree profoundly that most mainstream buyers will accept this kind of yolk+stalkless control scheme in most cars (and especially a pickup truck). Clearly some will (and are), but we have no way of knowing yet how many ultimately will. Since Tesla is still production constrained and still does not have strong competition in most of their segments any lost sales are still hidden. Both of those will probably be rather different in a year or so, at least if some of the other companies can actually execute.

Among my social groups, Tesla is not nearly as desirable as it used to be. And this is among a tech-savvy college-educated EV-loving (or tolerant) group in their 30's and 40's. And price is not the issue, the issue is the user-unfriendly design (and baffling unnecessary weirdness) that keeps being imposed. This is going to bite Tesla in the butt. Not today, and probably not this year. But it will, and I don't know how easy it will be to recover from.

The same was said of the screen controlling most of the car functions and the interior of the Model 3 being too simplistic. Now look at the Model 3 and Model Y they are the best sellers cars in many markets and other automakers trying to emulate them. Every time I go to the supercharger most of the owners are senior citizens driving Model 3 and Y around my area, everyone can adapt. If you don't like it don't buy it problem solve. If Tesla feels like the yoke is hurting their sales they will switch to a steering wheel in the mean time it doesn't seem likely.

That Edmunds video is hilarious no where around my area I have a sequence of tight turns one after the other. That's not real world at all.

It’s comical to read hysteria about Tesla and Elon every time change happens. Model S UI change, M3 single screen introduction then UI change. Now yoke/stalk less change. You guys are funny.
Also comical how hard-core Tesla fans will find anything the company makes desirable, no matter how questionable. Elon could introduce a triangle-shaped steering wheel with a giant click-wheel in the middle instead of stalks and many here would suddenly love it and talk about how old-fashioned and outdated regular round wheels and yolks look.