Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But don't you have to find the indicator buttons when the yoke is say over 90 degrees off centre? I wouldn't like to find the correct one when the RH handle is turned counterclockwise over my right thigh. Stalk indicator is always in the same position.
Is it perfect, no. Is it a disaster, definitely not. When FSD is ready (who knows when) this is a perfect scenario. If not, it has its flaws for sure, but not nearly what people are saying, writing, or stressing over. "I won't buy a tesla because of it", is totally ridiculous. That is my point. Your points are valid, however, and I get it.

Indeed! I imagine I could live with (certainly not prefer) the yoke, had they not also ruined every other primary control, most especially these three:

1. Direction selection (anachronistically referred to as ‘shifting’) on screen makes tight maneuvers painfully slow (even worse than an ICE car). Apparently Musk thinks auto-park can get into a space 4 mm longer than the car while threading the girders that hold up the elevated train in Astoria. News flash: I can; it can’t. On screen ‘shifting’ sucks.
2. Horn ‘button’– OMFG the wandering horn. Every recent occasion that I’ve needed my horn was when someone tried to reverse into me in a parking lot without looking, while my wheel was turned. I live in New York—people don’t look—they just back up, no honk apparently means there’s no one there. Sure, the horn won’t save your life, but have you priced a fender bender on a Model S? Consider cost, the inevitable insurance hike, and time driving a shitty ICE car while they repair your gorgeous aluminum space ship which now has a resale-killing repair entry on her car fax report 😢. And yes, you can sound the horn by laying your hand across the right spoke ‘buttons’, but try this in a spilt second, while turned—some angles just don’t work well, if at all. Moving the horn off the center hub was profoundly arrogant and it sucks. How much money could they possibly save compared to real switches under the airbag cover like every other car in the world including a base model Toyota Corolla? A Tesla S starts at $90k for Christ’s sake—and it’s a low volume car! It’s an insult.
3. Turn signals — like all the other new controls, they feel like nothing. Making one’s way through the road spaghetti of the urban jungle, we must quite often signal an opposite turn, during a turn. Where are the blinkers? Are they upside down in the 3 o’clock position? Are they sideways at 12 or 6? No-man’s land at 4:30? Yeah, I know, no one signals anymore. But cops give hefty tickets for this, and the 20 minute delay may cost you much more depending on your job. Moving turn signals to the yoke spoke sucks; haptic controls compounds every other problem.

Obviously, Tesla didn’t want to spend a red cent more on real controls derived from the Mercedes S; but now we have a useless screen for rear passengers…cool.

Why? It is inferior to a wheel (including the removal of the stalk here). There is literally zero advantage to the yoke. Why do I need to try something that is objectively inferior with literally zero benefits.
I am not sure how many miles you have driven with your yoke but I have found several advantages. It is wider and allows me to hold it while resting my arm on the door better than my old S or X. Plus I am not sure if the steering sensor is more sensitive but the nag is less with my yoke - maybe I have more pressure on the wheel. I like commuting with the yoke - the car seems more open inside. I prefer my X over my old S because the old S had a more cramped feel.

I am not saying the yoke is better but I do like some things about it. I do not do much city driving and I do not use it for mountain roads - it is awesome for highway autopilot commuting.

Why? It is inferior to a wheel (including the removal of the stalk here). There is literally zero advantage to the yoke. Why do I need to try something that is objectively inferior with literally zero benefits.
Thus the issue. You assume inferiority when in reality it isn't. I know this is like my stereo is better than yours, round and round we go. Just an opinion amongst a sea oa many.

100% correct. It’s a few primary things which, added together, make an ergonomic disaster unbefitting of an expensive, otherwise perfect car. Since there are no other cars in the same league as the Tesla Model S, it’s immensely frustrating for us who wished to buy a newer one.

1. Yoke – no good reason, -1
2. On screen ‘shifting’ – slow, shitty -3
3. Wandering, haptic turn signals – stupid -2
4. Wandering, haptic horn ‘button’ – dangerous -5
Those 11 points take the new S from 100% to 89% — not cool, Elon, not cool. There is no reasonable hope that it will change back. Much more likely, the new stalkless control paradigm will infect the entire fleet starting with Cybertruck and eventually making it to Model Y—their best selling vehicle. This does not bode well.

An aftermarket company could build a round yoke replacement with a proper, centered, horn button. They could make real buttons for the wandering turn signals and other awful haptic controls; but stalks are gone forever, so we’re stuck with on–screen ‘shifting’. I suppose I could live with that.

I've been driving the yoke for about a week... I'm pleasantly surprised how intuitively my body adapted. I had one top side miss in the first 15 mins of driving, and no other issues. My wife who hated it and bitched incessantly about it before we got it says she prefers it over the wheel in her van... YMMV

100% correct. It’s a few primary things which, added together, make an ergonomic disaster unbefitting of an expensive, otherwise perfect car. Since there are no other cars in the same league as the Tesla Model S, it’s immensely frustrating for us who wished to buy a newer one.

Those 11 points take the new S from 100% to 89% — not cool, Elon, not cool. There is no reasonable hope that it will change back. Much more likely, the new stalkless control paradigm will infect the entire fleet starting with Cybertruck and eventually making it to Model Y—their best selling vehicle. This does not bode well.

An aftermarket company could build a round yoke replacement with a proper, centered, horn button. They could make real buttons for the wandering turn signals and other awful haptic controls; but stalks are gone forever, so we’re stuck with on–screen ‘shifting’. I suppose I could live with that.
I mentioned point 1 above... Point 2, I can shift it just as fast, if not faster than my other vehicles. I had a ram with dial on the dash next to screen and I can do the tesla faster. Given i dont have to pass R N etc. Its one button park and swipe.

point 3 is the worst ****ing part of this car. Audio controls are on the left wheel, i hit the turn signals every time I try to skip a song.

point 4 I dont always honk my horn.... but when i do it screams "move bitch get out the way"... and i dont have a problem finding that button.

even in this thread...with persons defending the yoke itself. Not a single person even attempting to defend the combo of yoke/no ability to activate horn via airbag/turn signal buttons. That combo? A massive step backwards.

And its obvious the internal testers KNEW it was bad. But too scared to say so to Elon
Exactly. Elon is losing it big time.

And this is why I will never but another Tesla until all this stuff is fixed. Well said Dan.

We can argue all the finer points endlessly, but at the end of the day, cool folks are cruising with their hand on the top of the steering wheel.
At 77, I really don't care if I'm cool. That said, I drive with one hand in my lap, palm up and holding the wheel. I imagine I could hold a yoke just as easily.

To my mind, holding a yoke would look a lot more cool, like flying or maneuvering a space ship, no matter where your hand might be on the steering. Interesting to me that I, being old, am amenable to driving with a yoke, while much younger people are already stuck in their ways unable to change.

Reactions: boonedocks
But don't you have to find the indicator buttons when the yoke is say over 90 degrees off centre?
You mean that you start signaling AFTER you've started your turn?? I've always found that signaling several seconds BEFORE starting my turn is more enlightening to following traffic. I think your argument ignores reality, as several seconds before a turn my thumbs are quite available to tap a signal button, and takes much less time and muscle memory that grabbing for a signal stalk.

Reactions: Gpa9504