Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A4 or model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your commute like? Do you have a home charging solution? Do you work at home? Are you ok with Tesla build quality (which is worse than than Audi)?

You need to share more about your requirements. Why do you want a Tesla?

The A4 is a clunker compared to a tesla. They are not in the same league. And not in the "oh one is a lot nicer and is more lux" kind of way either. The A4 is like a blackberry, and the tesla is like the newest iPhone.

It is true that the Model S and Audi A4 are in different car size and price brackets. However, an Audi A4 certainly can offer features a Model S does not and fits a different type of lifestyle/circumstances better, so we should know what the OP wants and needs before making a recommendation.

For most us here, the obvious answer would be Model S. But that's not really serving OPs question properly.

@outie and @chillaban makes good questions, thank you for those.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
i know it's a stretch between the prices but I was thinking about getting a model S 75 for around 74k listed on ev-cpo. It is an inventory car but are there any solid reasons to bridge the gal between them?

I'm sorry but tact is not my strong point.

Let's see how this plays out:

Buying a Tesla helps leave a usable planet for future generations.

Buying the Audi does the opposite.

Why is this a question?

Are you not aware of these websites?

climate.nasa.gov

www.ucsusa.org/global_warming

desmogblog.com

Look, I hate to be a pill, but given the current political climate in Washington DC, it is incumbent on those of us with more than half a brain to now, more than ever, step up and lead. That means shifting our spending a few percentage points to "vote" for the right things.

This quote really applies; please choose wisely:

There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

If you choose well, my code is Mark7179 which will save you $1k and give you lifetime Supercharger access. We welcome you aboard the lifeboat and thanks for helping row . . . .

Reactions: Sean Wagner and GSP
i know it's a stretch between the prices but I was thinking about getting a model S 75 for around 74k listed on ev-cpo. It is an inventory car but are there any solid reasons to bridge the gal between them?
I'm pretty sure no one that owns a Tesla would advise you to buy an ICE over a Tesla(me included) and for very good reason. I can't help but think how ridiculously out of date and silly ICE cars are after driving a Tesla for a year...and you'll feel the same way:).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I'm pretty sure no one that owns a Tesla would advise you to buy an ICE over a Tesla(me included) and for very good reason

Only the religious ones maybe.

I would definitely candidly recommend an ICE or PHEV where is makes sense for the individual circumstances. For example if you live in flat with no home charging and need to drive distance daily in a no-Supercharger area...

That said, reading between the lines it seems to me OP wants the Tesla and offers no other concerns than the price leap. In that case I recommend going for the Tesla, but possibly waiting a bit if the speculated major product changes in Model S materialize in Q4-Q1 due to Model 3...

Reactions: WhiskySTL
The Model S has much better performance, and is much more smooth and responsive. The drive train is literally smoother than a Rolls Royce. Very modern, minimalist interior. Lacks the refinement of the German cars though.
The A4 has better fit and finish. Can be refilled quickly compared to charging, but can't be refilled at home (unless you own a gas station).
The engine is clunky and noisy and blows poisonous smoke out at knee level. Can actually kill in a confined space, but little sniffs seem to be fine.
The A4 will be very similar to any other car you've driven, basically boring. The Model S is something new and interesting.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: dss33 and GSP
As a current A6 owner and given the price point you quoted, I think the better comparison would be the S6 to the Model S. At least prestige, size, performance, and luxury are closest. The rest is really a matter of personal preference and priorities.

I would agree this is an apples to oranges comparison. They are two entirely different experiences. What's your budget? What are you looking for in a car? Why are you considering a Tesla?

• Disagree
Reactions: MDMGSO47
It seems some folks haven't seen Tesla's response to the study that claimed that production of the Model S battery itelf produces as much CO2 as an ICE vehicle does in 8 years :( Oh wait, Elon hasn't responded yet!
Tesla car battery production releases as much CO2 as 8 years of gasoline driving

The electricity source also needs to be considered for a full picture.

from the article, "The calculation is based on the assumption that the electricity mix used in the battery factory consists of more than half of the fossil fuels. In Sweden, the power production is mainly of fossil-nuclear and hydropower why lower emissions had been achieved." so if Gigafactory is powered by solar or clean energy, then that number goes down dramatically.