Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abandoned Model S at Huebner Oaks San Antonio, TX Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this at the San Antonio I-10 Supercharger and it just about made me cry... 😭😭😭 Almost the exact car I have on order except it isn't a Plaid. Story is that it was abandoned somewhere and they had a wreaker bring it over to charge but couldn't unplug since they didn't have a key. Tesla Power technicians had to cut off the charging cable and contacted the owner registered to the VIN. Owner said to have it towed to the nearest service center. Got to be more to this story...

The damage to the passenger rear wheel and rim looked bad.

The dirt was so thick that some of the Tesla owners charging there decided to draw on it...

IMG_0981.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0986.jpeg

Some people have more money than brains…outrageous! Moderators please ban this individual from all forums once he/she/they/them are identified.
That's a little extreme, isn't it? Want to make sure that I understand your position. You want the owner of the car banned from this community because you don't approve of how they are treating their own property? Never mind that they aren't likely to even be a member of this community.

Reactions: Ormond and AMPd
That's a little extreme, isn't it? Want to make sure that I understand your position. You want the owner of the car banned from this community because you don't approve of how they are treating their own property? Never mind that they aren't likely to even be a member of this community.
Not sure if your joking, but tbe person you quoted definitely is joking...

So... looking at this photo again, something's strange about it (to me at least).

For those in the San Antonio area - can a car look like this just from sitting outside?

It's got a full layer of evenly applied dirt. It's almost like it was dipped into a muddy lake.

Would it get like this just from sitting outside? And is there *no* precipitation that would occasionally clean it?

In the Northwestern US, the only way I could imagine a vehicle getting like this is if it sat in a garage for decades (covered in dust).

Reactions: Alex Philips
First of all, since when are Tesla Model S’s being used for prisoner transport?
Second - the pole next to the car also seems to have some of that dust dripping on to it - not sure if that’s meaningful.
Third - my best theory is that this car was not yet delivered to an owner and was stolen while in transit, possibly while in the process of being driven from truck to lot or vice versa. A joyride that ended permanently once the charge was low and the vehicle was put in park at this supercharger. This would explain why there was no owner to claim it, aside from Tesla itself. And whatever the case may be, Tesla certainly doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to tow it out of that spot.

First of all, since when are Tesla Model S’s being used for prisoner transport?
Second - the pole next to the car also seems to have some of that dust dripping on to it - not sure if that’s meaningful.
Third - my best theory is that this car was not yet delivered to an owner and was stolen while in transit, possibly while in the process of being driven from truck to lot or vice versa. A joyride that ended permanently once the charge was low and the vehicle was put in park at this supercharger. This would explain why there was no owner to claim it, aside from Tesla itself. And whatever the case may be, Tesla certainly doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to tow it out of that spot.
Interesting about transport stolen ! Might explain ripped off front license holder...

M

I’ll make a guess. Car was stolen somehow, without the fob (maybe a hack like using one of those 2-way amplifiers seen in Europe that relay the fob signal over an extended distance or it was just left unlocked close enough to a fob).

Car will continue driving without a fob once started.

Pulled in to get a charge.

Car has to be put into park to charge, which meant it couldn’t be driven again without the fob.

If they closed the doors, it would lock. Sat there long enough to discharge completely…

Not that far fetched…

Or it was the martians from that Berlin rave ;-)
I think you are most likely correct, and it hadn't been reported yet for some reason - although I really, really want to go with the martian theory. It really wouldn't take but a few days to get that coated in pollen in some places. I could even see a joy-ride with the key dumping it there, and walking away with the key as a "souvenir."

What surprises me more than anything else, since I've seen way too many stolen/abandoned cars, is that a Tesla Tech doesn't have the ability to have the car unlock the charge port from the charger's side.

So... looking at this photo again, something's strange about it (to me at least).

For those in the San Antonio area - can a car look like this just from sitting outside?

It's got a full layer of evenly applied dirt. It's almost like it was dipped into a muddy lake.

Would it get like this just from sitting outside? And is there *no* precipitation that would occasionally clean it?

In the Northwestern US, the only way I could imagine a vehicle getting like this is if it sat in a garage for decades (covered in dust).
I believe someone mentioned earlier it appears it could be fire retardant? Maybe at some point along this mystery a fire truck or fire retardant system was involved. Seems somewhat similar to this photo I found:

1649883514050.png

Reactions: Ormond