Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to edit old posts expires

apacheguy

S Sig #255
Oct 21, 2012
So Cal
Title says it all. May I ask why this parameter has been set in the forum config? Didn't used to be this way. There are many legitimate reasons why users may want to edit their old posts from several months back.

Rheazombi

Dec 17, 2008
Boston
damn! I was going to edit an old post of mine because the photobucket link is dead. I really wanted to add the photo back into the post using a better image hosting service!

ughhh

did they really do this??

MikeC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
My guess is the osama P85D complaint thread where he went back and deleted all his old posts and people complained that shouldn't be allowed.

Rheazombi

Dec 17, 2008
Boston
great, so because one guy confused some people, now he has to ruin it for the rest of us?? Why not just limit post-editing abilities of newer users/users with low post count?

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Nov 28, 2006
SF Bay Area
Yeah, we've have a few abuses lately that caused us to revisit the infinite edit policy. Many forums give an hour to edit, we currently have it set as a day. Also agree that the software isn't great in some areas.

If you had a thread were you were regulating updating a post with new info, use the report post feature and explain the situation. We can add a wiki post to the thread for that purpose.

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY
just start duplicating new threads every time you want to change something from your old thread. if enough people do this, it'll create such a duplicate thread headache they'll turn it right back on. :)

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
just start duplicating new threads every time you want to change something from your old thread. if enough people do this, it'll create such a duplicate thread headache they'll turn it right back on. :)

Or put the person on limited access who tries to deliberately mess things up.

:)

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY
Yea I'm gonna go on record and say that I don't agree with this change. I don't think that one person or a few ppl should ruin it for everyone else. Editing old posts is something many of us do legitimately. I don't like seeing feature regressions like this :( it's definitely a step backward for TMC.

wk057

Vendor & Senior Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
Hickory, NC, USA
Yea I'm gonna go on record and say that I don't agree with this change. I don't think that one person or a few ppl should ruin it for everyone else. Editing old posts is something many of us do legitimately. I don't like seeing feature regressions like this :( it's definitely a step backward for TMC.

Going to have to agree. When/if it is abused by the few, mods should just undo the changes and lock the thread/post of the abuser.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
I have gone through and removed pointless 'snarky?' comments that I have left in some threads that don't add to them.
I try to type them and then just erase them instead of posting but it doesn't always happen :tongue:

You do have time to edit your posts, just like most forums. It's just a restriction on how long.

Mar 11, 2010
Humboldt/Los Altos
I have gone through and removed pointless 'snarky?' comments that I have left in some threads that don't add to them.
I try to type them and then just erase them instead of posting but it doesn't always happen :wink:

hmm:smile:

rjcbox

Sep 4, 2013
PA, USA

Agree

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC