TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ability to edit old posts expires

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by apacheguy, Dec 11, 2014.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Title says it all. May I ask why this parameter has been set in the forum config? Didn't used to be this way. There are many legitimate reasons why users may want to edit their old posts from several months back.

2. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

damn! I was going to edit an old post of mine because the photobucket link is dead. I really wanted to add the photo back into the post using a better image hosting service!

ughhh

did they really do this??

3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

My guess is the osama P85D complaint thread where he went back and deleted all his old posts and people complained that shouldn't be allowed.

4. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

great, so because one guy confused some people, now he has to ruin it for the rest of us?? Why not just limit post-editing abilities of newer users/users with low post count?

5. GreenT

GreenT Member

Bottom line is, the software that TMC runs on is hardly the best of its class.

6. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Yeah, this has messed me up on my "charging efficiency" thread as well.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah, we've have a few abuses lately that caused us to revisit the infinite edit policy. Many forums give an hour to edit, we currently have it set as a day. Also agree that the software isn't great in some areas.

If you had a thread were you were regulating updating a post with new info, use the report post feature and explain the situation. We can add a wiki post to the thread for that purpose.

8. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Seems like there should be a setting that could override this for individual posts...

9. Zextraterrestrial

I wanted to 'refix my thread' and put my original pictures back in the first post so it makes sense + add some years and things. reading it is really confusing, and I wrote it!
    not possible anymore?

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

just start duplicating new threads every time you want to change something from your old thread. if enough people do this, it'll create such a duplicate thread headache they'll turn it right back on. :)

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Or put the person on limited access who tries to deliberately mess things up.

:)

12. yobigd20

Then just start creating new accounts every time one gets restricted.

:)

13. Zextraterrestrial

you're tricky!...

hmm shouldn't have waited so damn long to fix my thread. I have been bothered for a long time about the AO's second post because I pulled my jumping pictures when I added in the picture of my RC car.
    sad panda

14. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Yeah, I tried to pin my new pack tear down video to the opening post of my pack tear down thread but I couldn't do it. :(

15. yobigd20

Yea I'm gonna go on record and say that I don't agree with this change. I don't think that one person or a few ppl should ruin it for everyone else. Editing old posts is something many of us do legitimately. I don't like seeing feature regressions like this :( it's definitely a step backward for TMC.

16. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Going to have to agree. When/if it is abused by the few, mods should just undo the changes and lock the thread/post of the abuser.

17. Zextraterrestrial

#17 Zextraterrestrial, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    I was talking more about weeks/months later when a thread gets 'revived' and I see some cheesy comment that I left and want to remove it

VVVVV

18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You do have time to edit your posts, just like most forums. It's just a restriction on how long.

19. Zextraterrestrial

I have gone through and removed pointless 'snarky?' comments that I have left in some threads that don't add to them.
    I try to type them and then just erase them instead of posting but it doesn't always happen :wink:

hmm:smile:

20. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Agree