Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to edit old posts expires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just start duplicating new threads every time you want to change something from your old thread. if enough people do this, it'll create such a duplicate thread headache they'll turn it right back on. :smile:

You do remember you're on a free forum moderated by unpaid volunteers, right?

I don't think that one person or a few ppl should ruin it for everyone else.

One person deliberately creating headaches shouldn't ruin it for everyone else. Who would possibly do that? ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Then just start creating new accounts every time one gets restricted.

:)

Multiple accounts will get you banned, and yes people do try it and yes they get caught. Besides, that won't get you acess to old posts under a different account.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I tried to pin my new pack tear down video to the opening post of my pack tear down thread but I couldn't do it. :(

That's probably a good candidate for a wiki post as doug offered up-thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I have gone through and removed pointless 'snarky?' comments that I have left in some threads that don't add to them.

Maybe just resist the urge to write anything too snarky? :)

Last edited:
Curious, why didn't the people who were abusing the "edit" feature just have their accounts limited or removed. Hopefully were removed, if not, what other actions will / can they do again in the future that will negatively effect all respectful forum members. I'm never the person for penalizing everyone for one person's immature or abusive actions. Otherwise it starts to sound and feel like a government.

Last edited:
The ability to revise and extend the contents of a post seems important to serious folks who want to make sure that information is accurate and correct. Sometimes it takes longer than 24 hrs to determine or realize the errors that need to be corrected. i hope this policy will be reverted.

Yeah, I'll likely just start posting links to the more detailed/informative write ups I make and host them myself instead of writing details here if I'm not able to update them... which is unfortunate.

Using wikis is not really a solution.

The ability to update my opening posts as needed was actually a pretty defining feature here, and the reason I decided to post my pack tear down info here (one of the most viewed threads on this forum at over a quarter million views) instead of just throwing a page up on wizkid057.com and gathering the small adsense revenue or whatever for myself.

Anyway, I will probably not be adding such contributions in the future while this policy is in place and I'll work on hosting my work myself.

Last edited:
I don't want to tell the unpaid volunteer mods how to do their jobs.. but with all due respect to the mods in this case, I will.

I own and moderate a large vBulletin forum (not as large as TMC, but close), and I had this same problem with an insistent and problematic user, which is putting it kindly. She would get into huge flame wars, and go back and edit/delete posts causing threads to become meaningless, and erasing her abusive behavior on the forums.

So instead of removing the ability of *all* my users to edit/delete posts (even timed), I simply created a "Restricted User" Usergroup (a existing and easy feature of vBulletin), and put her (and a few other users) into that group. This "restricted" group can not edit or delete posts or threads once posted (as well as some other very broad forum restrictions). If I have a new problem user, I just dump them into that group (takes less than 1 minute) and the problem is solved. When these users realize they can't edit or delete posts, their abusive behavior instantly stops.

I would strongly suggest the TMC admins do something similar, and instead of punishing *all* users with a global policy, penalize the specific users that abuse the ability to edit and delete posts. Essentially, the problem solves itself when done in this manner, and all the other users aren't affected.

I don't want to tell the unpaid volunteer mods how to do their jobs.. but with all due respect to the mods in this case, I will.

I own and moderate a large vBulletin forum (not as large as TMC, but close), and I had this same problem with an insistent and problematic user, which is putting it kindly. She would get into huge flame wars, and go back and edit/delete posts causing threads to become meaningless, and erasing her abusive behavior on the forums.

So instead of removing the ability of *all* my users to edit/delete posts (even timed), I simply created a "Restricted User" Usergroup (a existing and easy feature of vBulletin), and put her (and a few other users) into that group. This "restricted" group can not edit or delete posts or threads once posted (as well as some other very broad forum restrictions). If I have a new problem user, I just dump them into that group (takes less than 1 minute) and the problem is solved. When these users realize they can't edit or delete posts, their abusive behavior instantly stops.

I would strongly suggest the TMC admins do something similar, and instead of punishing *all* users with a global policy, penalize the specific users that abuse the ability to edit and delete posts. Essentially, the problem solves itself when done in this manner, and all the other users aren't affected.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I'm guessing that the hardworking mods changed the policy on edits for good reason after considering the options, but it's still frustrating that I can't continue to update the status of the Superchargers in Arizona. I agree that a Wiki isn't really the answer because users had gotten used to the updates to the Superchargers within the Mountain/Southwest section.

We can all thank the person who made the feature go away. Grrrrr!! I too have reviewed some of my past posts, wanted to clarify them or make updates. Nope, not anymore. Yes we can go to the mods and then take up their time, then it turns into a hassle and I just give up. So the end result is that we now have data that could have been corrected by the poster, to be more relevant, but now it won't thanks to people who love to spoil the party, again thanking (sarcastically) the poster who made this feature go away. Grrrr (squared).

And what stops some other idiot from raging on, deleting his under 2 day or whatever time limit to edit post and causing another uproar. Then does everyone get penalized again as a whole for this person, who should have instead been removed as a member, and now have our edit window reduced to under 60 seconds?

This one is tough for me to swallow, too. I maintain the charging FAQ (currently located in the NA sub-forum of the charging forum). I certainly don't want it to be a wiki post, because I personally want to maintain what's in that FAQ (and not leave it subject to some of the very dangerous and bad ideas that have come about over the past few years). I also need the ability to edit it should anything change (like when I'm informed by Tesla that they have changed the instruction links, etc.)

Seems like there are a few ideas here - first is to put troublesome users in a more restricted bucket. I think that's pretty reasonable. Second is to give me (and other recognized maintainers of long-term "sticky" posts) moderator privileges in that particular forum; seems like something that's harder to maintain.

Another one is perhaps turning on the ability for everyone to see the edit history, a la Facebook? That would keep people from abusing edit, because it would still leave a trail. I normally revise older posts with "EDIT:" or "UPDATE:" flags. I have had to update a lot of old information over the past couple of years.

I would like to add another firm vote in the "please let us edit posts after 24 hours" camp. The mods are quite active and sufficient to take action if necessary, but as it stands the lack of editing power is frustrating and annoying. Please change it back. Thank you.