Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't want it in the U.S., we'll take it in Europe. So far, NL seems not to have anything against.

seems fine in Sweden too. Basically the common european regulations just mention steering controls.

basically, a joystick may be used (and I believe a few cars that are adapted for handicapped people actually use that).
So yoke is likely good in all of EU (except for UK, where all bets are of after Brexit)

Aviation Words — Yoke

Aviation Words — Yoke

By Ian Brown, Editor
Recent Articles

Word of the Month — Descent
January 20, 2021

Interesting Stories Airplanes Past
January 20, 2021

Social Media at a Time of Social Distancing
January 20, 2021

From the Archives — Fifty Years Ago
January 19, 2021

Chapter 63 Profile - Distinguishing Factors in an EAA Chapter
January 19, 2021

November 2019 - You probably thought this was an unusual word when you first came across it, perhaps in your first flight as a beginning pilot. The oldest use of the word seems to be the wooden bar to connect a pair of oxen used sometime before the 12th century. So maybe the "yoke" was adopted at the moment that two control devices were connected together for two pilots.

Apparently, "control wheel" was used fairly early on, but perhaps that was abandoned when a physical wheel went out of favour. Control sticks are generally "yoked" together, but they are never called yokes.

As a verb, "to yoke" is to connect two things together, so perhaps another conceptual use of the word might be that the pitch and roll axes are yoked together.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
seems fine in Sweden too. Basically the common european regulations just mention steering controls.

basically, a joystick may be used (and I believe a few cars that are adapted for handicapped people actually use that).
So yoke is likely good in all of EU (except for UK, where all bets are of after Brexit)
Exactly: they need to pass the regulatory tests in one country, then normally it's OK for the whole EU. Even we accept it, then, in .CH.

Normally Netherlands, because that's where European delivery cars are finally assembled.

Go to the Model S Ordering page.
Scroll down to Interior.
Click on Feature Details.
There’ll then be a bunch of mini-pages/panes to swipe through, right to left.
Last one has the info you want (scroll down to ‘Comfort’). :cool:

Thanks!
Do you suppose "heated windshield" means the whole windshield is heated, presumably electrically, as it is on a few other premium cars/ Or is it possibly just the thin strip where the wipers park, as on current cars that have the winter package?

Thanks!

Do you suppose "heated windshield" means the whole windshield is heated, presumably electrically, as it is on a few other premium cars/ Or is it possibly just the thin strip where the wipers park, as on current cars that have the winter package?

That part I don’t know. Guess we’ll find out once they start shipping out in March.

A lot of details seem to be unknowns still. Right now, I can’t even find exact dimensions for the new MS, just the weight. :(

Y’know, if this yoke thing really takes off (which I think it will), *just wait* ‘til it comes to the Model 3 and Y on a future refresh.

THAT’S when you’ll REALLY hear the screaming from the ppl who don’t like it... it’ll be louder by a factor of 10, at least. o_O

Reactions: mark95476
Y’know, if this yoke thing really takes off (which I think it will), *just wait* ‘til it comes to the Model 3 and Y on a future refresh.

THAT’S when you’ll REALLY hear the screaming from the ppl who don’t like it... it’ll be louder by a factor of 10, at least. o_O

I thought about that yoke wheel a bit while I was on a Tesla club rally just today. We drove about 75 miles in about 2-1/2 hours, mostly on a curving 2-lane road that wound through several town centers. I changed hand positions on the wheel frequently. I have always felt the Tesla wheel is extremely comfortable to hold, but despite that, I rarely keep one position for long. I am not sure how the squarish yoke wheel would affect that. My guess is that it would be less comfortable, and certainly present fewer places to hold, but it is hard to be sure so we will have to wait and see.
As I have said elsewhere, the replacement of the various stalks by buttons is probably more of an operational issue than the shape of the wheel itself. I was having plenty to look at and to look out for, driving on a busy road through town centers on a sunny Saturday, without having to look for small buttons on my steering wheel to operate turn signals or the windshield washer -- both of those I used many times along the trip, and had no need to look to find them or operate them. I don't relish the added visual burden of looking for small buttons on a (possibly moving) wheel while navigating in traffic....

I'm willing to be convinced - it does look very space-age - but I will contain my enthusiasm until thousands of more adventurous folk have played with it for a year or two and commented on it.
Those hidden buttons have GOT to be a bad thing, and if the yoke is fly by wire with variable "gain" on the turning circle I can see many issues where the driver is unsure of where the car's going to point in traffic. As for the car effectively telling the driver whether it's going to go forward or back, talk about a solution to a non-existent problem!

Muscle memory will take care of that. I'm sure your hands go to the 3-9 positions readily and your thumbs know how to adjust the audio and autopilot settings with the thumb wheels without having to eyeball anything. There'll be a few more buttons for your thumbs--the firmware will probably allow you to just click the right scroll wheel for voice command and tell the car what you want it to do. It already does that now.

As I have said elsewhere, the replacement of the various stalks by buttons is probably more of an operational issue than the shape of the wheel itself. I was having plenty to look at and to look out for, driving on a busy road through town centers on a sunny Saturday, without having to look for small buttons on my steering wheel to operate turn signals or the windshield washer -- both of those I used many times along the trip, and had no need to look to find them or operate them. I don't relish the added visual burden of looking for small buttons on a (possibly moving) wheel while navigating in traffic....

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Theory: the yoke is nessessary for retracting the steering system to, or into the dash when FSD has full control or when charging.

Tesla has already talked about disabling the steering wheel when FSD is active, and if you're going to do that... Then why have it there getting in the way of comfort?

When you think about trying to get a steering wheel to retract into the dash, a yoke seems like an obvious answer. Add to this that Tesla is eliminating all the stocks from the steering colum, something Noone asked for...