Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About those Cybertires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
I haven't seen any comments on the tires. These Goodyear tires have sidewalls that are clearly matched to the 7-spoke wheel covers. We don't even see the rim itself. Cool design. But does it mean I can't buy just any tire of the right size and load specs? Probably not--it just wouldn't look so integrated.
Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-Fender-Flare-Wheel-and-Tire.jpg

Tesla-Cybertruck-electric-pickup-detail-9.jpg

(Actually, there is a peek of the wheel in the second photo.)

Clearly a prototype styling queue. These won't make it into production and if they did there is no way in hell any of those 0-60 stats will be achievable on those tires. Did you hear that thing whaling when people were going for test rides? Yikes. As heavy as that would have to be to attain 500 miles of range and all of that cold-rolled steel you'd chew threw a set of tires that aggressive in 5k miles or so. Not to mention the road noise and traction would be a serious issue. I'm not sure what they plan for production but it's either going to have to be far less aggressive of a tires or all of their listed stats will be vaporware.

Clearly a prototype styling queue. These won't make it into production and if they did there is no way in hell any of those 0-60 stats will be achievable on those tires. Did you hear that thing whaling when people were going for test rides? Yikes. As heavy as that would have to be to attain 500 miles of range and all of that cold-rolled steel you'd chew threw a set of tires that aggressive in 5k miles or so. Not to mention the road noise and traction would be a serious issue. I'm not sure what they plan for production but it's either going to have to be far less aggressive of a tires or all of their listed stats will be vaporware.

Although I think you're right, I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility. Maybe I'm naive.

I'm just thinking if a Plaid Roadster (in theory the same sort of battery/motors) can do it in 1.9, then maybe a 150% loss due to tires isn't completely out of reality.

I've been assuming that what you see in the pictures is not the real wheel, just a cover. That cover would be instantly destroyed by the first rock it encountered. Hopefully, one could just pop those covers off while airing down the tires at the trailhead.

The tires, OTOH, look pretty good for the trails. Unfortunately, there's always a big tradeoff between road and trail performance when it comes to tires.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Although I think you're right, I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility. Maybe I'm naive.

I'm just thinking if a Plaid Roadster (in theory the same sort of battery/motors) can do it in 1.9, then maybe a 150% loss due to tires isn't completely out of reality.
The plaid Roadster will be far lighter and will wear some of the most advanced tires ever fitted to a road-going car. These tires have been designed to both get traction to propel this 5,000lb car to 60 from a standing stop in less than two seconds and also not come apart at well over 250mph. They will end up looking like a race slick with small groves carved in for minimal rain dissipation. Do you honestly think that a blocky A/T tire that gives some 50% (or more) of actual contact patch will somehow propel a vehicle that is going to weigh much, much, MUCH more to 60mph in a only a second longer? Ain't gonna happen. All of these stats makes sense on a car because you can fit super grippy tires and not have it look out of place. I can tell you that with a Supercharged Tacoma traction was a serious issue in all conditions under only part throttle and we're not talking anywhere near the performance numbers this beast is projecting.

Reactions: Big Earl
The plaid Roadster will be far lighter and will wear some of the most advanced tires ever fitted to a road-going car. These tires have been designed to both get traction to propel this 5,000lb car to 60 from a standing stop in less than two seconds and also not come apart at well over 250mph. They will end up looking like a race slick with small groves carved in for minimal rain dissipation. Do you honestly think that a blocky A/T tire that gives some 50% (or more) of actual contact patch will somehow propel a vehicle that is going to weigh much, much, MUCH more to 60mph in a only a second longer? Ain't gonna happen. All of these stats makes sense on a car because you can fit super grippy tires and not have it look out of place. I can tell you that with a Supercharged Tacoma traction was a serious issue in all conditions under only part throttle and we're not talking anywhere near the performance numbers this beast is projecting.

Idk man, some of the chipped diesel trucks I've ridden in are good for some pretty retarded four wheel launches. Even with their "off road tires".

But no, I don' think they will provide adequate traction for a 2.9. The tires on the roadster are incredibly wide for one reason.

I think the battery represents a lot of the curb weight for both of these vehicles though. I'd like to know a direct comparison of Roadster vs Cybertruck weight.

I've been assuming that what you see in the pictures is not the real wheel, just a cover. That cover would be instantly destroyed by the first rock it encountered. Hopefully, one could just pop those covers off while airing down the tires at the trailhead.

The tires, OTOH, look pretty good for the trails. Unfortunately, there's always a big tradeoff between road and trail performance when it comes to tires.
Exactly. I've owned high performance cars and I've owned capable offroad vehicles. Those two worlds rarely blend seamlessly in terms of tires and I personally feel it's one of the most underrated & under discussed aspects of the Cybertruck. It's going to take some serious tire engineering to even come close to most of those specs and still offer a look anywhere near that aggressive. To propel a 6,500lb truck (total guess & likely more based on cold-rolled steel being the chief building material & the likely double stacked battery packs to attain all of these figures) to 60mph from a standing stop is going to take what amounts to a racing slick with some aggressive looking sidewalls purely for cosmetics. No way will a capable A/T get regular 0-60 blasts under 3 seconds. Just look at the cars that, prior to Tesla, even approached 4 seconds 0-60 and the types of tires they wore in order to do it.

Idk man, some of the chipped diesel trucks I've ridden in are good for some pretty retarded four wheel launches. Even with their "off road tires".

But no, I don' think they will provide adequate traction for a 2.9. The tires on the roadster are incredibly wide for one reason.

I think the battery represents a lot of the curb weight for both of these vehicles though. I'd like to know a direct comparison of Roadster vs Cybertruck weight.
Fast for a full-size diesel truck is in the 5-second range. One of the faster vehicles from 0-60 I've owned was a GMC Typhoon that did 0-60 in the low 3's and the tires it took to do that even with AWD were engineered entirely for street stickiness. If I threw an A/T on that same setup it would have sat and boiled those tires w/o putting much energy into forward momentum.

I think we've all become numb to just how fast 0-60 in 2.9 seconds really is, credit to Tesla.

I doubt the truck will get the stated range on those tires. when production models come out I expect this to come with more off the shelf 'standard tires' and that those 'off road' tires will just be an additional option.

Having an option for off-road or street tires would be a very good thing. I would happily trade some 0-60 for better off-road traction. If I want to drag race on the street I’ll stick with my MS.

Take a close look at the video Elon posted of them testing the glass pre-reveal. Look at the wheel on the truck and the wheel on the ground - the wheels in the reveal are just covers!

Elon Musk on Twitter

Like everyone said, the wheels are likely going to change a lot by the time the real truck rolls out. If they don't, the real wheels under those covers also look nice!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-22-23-45-54~3.png
    Screenshot_2019-11-22-23-45-54~3.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2019-11-22-23-45-54~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-11-22-23-45-54~2.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 137
Take a close look at the video Elon posted of them testing the glass pre-reveal. Look at the wheel on the truck and the wheel on the ground - the wheels in the reveal are just covers!

Elon Musk on Twitter

Like everyone said, the wheels are likely going to change a lot by the time the real truck rolls out. If they don't, the real wheels under those covers also look nice!!
Great catch

Reactions: 365gtb4
So 6500 lb truck and 3500 payload means a 10,000 GVW so like the Bollinger no airbags or crash tests needed?
Tires will need to support ~2500 lb each? That is certainly doable with LT load range E tires like on my F150.
I have been thinking the same thing. Model X weighs 6K lbs, I am guessing the Cybertruck around 8K lbs and with the possible payload gets you a class III vehicle

While the Cybertrk will have heavy body panels, it will not have a conventional frame. This will offset the weight difference.

Believe the Truck will use the battery pack as it's center core, and components attached as an ecoskeleton, giving significant weight savings.

This design of a Triangle is one of the strongest in geometry. Should be super resistant to flex, but lighter in weight than old fashioned ladder frames that are subject to bending.