Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my car exactly two weeks ago. Now I am wondering if I got the new HW or not. So I am looking for tell tail signs if what I am suspecting are it.
1. There is a 2"x3" blank piece of metal on the lower grill where the front license plate is supposed to be.
2. In front of the rear view mirror, behind the front window there seems to be a camera and something else.
3. There are sensors on all 4 corners of the car next to the wheels where my BMW (which has parking sensors) does not have.
i will try to post some pictures here if I am allowed to, here goes.
can anyone tell me this is something new?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,046
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,044
So I just got my car exactly two weeks ago. Now I am wondering if I got the new HW or not. So I am looking for tell tail signs if what I am suspecting are it.
1. There is a 2"x3" blank piece of metal on the lower grill where the front license plate is supposed to be.
2. In front of the rear view mirror, behind the front window there seems to be a camera and something else.
3. There are sensors on all 4 corners of the car next to the wheels where my BMW (which has parking sensors) does not have.
Yup.

That square piece is the giveaway. That is part of the auto-pilot stuff. Congrats!

After witnessing the announcements tonight, if any of the sig owners or other early adopters -- like me -- feel remorse tonight, just remember: we, especially the sig owners, helped to make tonight possible. Without you, this next of what will be many significant upgrades (not to mention production of the X and III) would not have been possible.

sorry I could not get all my pictures up for #2. Exceeded my limit.
i also thought #1 could be a sonar.

One of the things I do on the freeway when I brake is make sure I brake effectively to not hit the car in front of me, but not so hard to ensure the car in back of me doesn't hit me either. Will Active Braking monitor in back as well as front? Or just slam the brakes, and hope for the best? How do other active braking systems work in other cars?
Emergency braking is purely safety feature, well it is called "an emergency" one. It kicks in only if car sensing that collision is imminent and kicks in a very last moment.

After witnessing the announcements tonight, if any of the sig owners or other early adopters -- like me -- feel remorse tonight, just remember: we, especially the sig owners, helped to make tonight possible. Without you, this next of what will be many significant upgrades (not to mention production of the X and III) would not have been possible.
My Model S did not just get any less fun to drive, so no, no regret.

I don't need AWD, or 0-60 in 3.2 Seconds (5 seconds is fast enough for me)

I don't need my car to change lanes by itself, I rarely use cruise control, and parking in my garage is not hard ;)

That's not a blank piece of metal, that's a radar antenna.

So I'd say yeah, you have the auto-pilot HW. Congrats.

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I am happy I got the new HW. Dumb luck. Don't hate me.
Now just have to wait for the SW that enables the HW and find out how much it costs.
I have not even gotten notice to upgrade to 6.0
i guess I will not be mounting the front license plate in front of the radar, when I get the plates.

Yacht floor and parcel shelf are also gone, I guess now standard.

No more staggered wheels since the + is gone.

I'm super happy with my P85+ Inventory car... But damn.. Now I want a P85D. But I can't see trading "up" to just an 85D. :(

Like I do for the iPhone, I'll skip this generation and wait to see what they come out with in the next 18-24 months for the Model S. Hopefully a bigger battery and/or better range.

Well said! I have said it before and I will say it again. Thank you early adopters for both the Roadster and the Model S. Without you taking the risk to buy these innovative new products and telling the rest of us how great they are then we'd be in the dark. You took the risk and bought the products, in most cases untested and sight unseen. So thank you. I can't wait to own a Model S of my own since I can't let you have all of the fun! :wink: