Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely agree that the changes are a big deal to reservation holders (and serious intenders). But to the public at large? Unless there's a much bigger change than I've seen suggested, most people won't have any idea what's changed. The production roll-out of the Model X strikes me as less interesting to the general public than even the intro of the Model S AWD, since the Model S AWD hasn't yet been officially seen/discussed whereas the Model X has, in any number of separate events and fora.

You're echoing my thoughts here. @Bonnie: I agree that to enthusiats and reservation holders it would a big thing to see a production ready Model X, with all of the changes from the beta. But to the general public it would be pretty much a Blah! "Elon Musk mysterious tweet about "something else" was only referring to the Model X which was already shown to the public last year".

You're echoing my thoughts here. @Bonnie: I agree that to enthusiats and reservation holders it would a big thing to see a production ready Model X, with all of the changes from the beta. But to the general public it would be pretty much a Blah! "Elon Musk mysterious tweet about "something else" was only referring to the Model X which was already shown to the public last year".

Although that is true... Elon's next tweet makes me think the something else might be the X after all:

Elon Musk on Twitter:

I love the Internet. Comments had me literally ROFL. No, it wasn't intentional. Glad I didn't mention the other letter!

X being the other letter. D...X... you get the noise it makes hen you say them together. That must be what he's talking about.

But eventually they need to show it, yes? And it makes sense to roll it in with another announcement, rather than a separate event. They'll still (likely) have the equivalent of the Get Amped test drives that they held around the country and in the EU for the Model S. But since some vehicles will be delivered prior to that, they need to show the updated model soon. Do you have a better time for them to show it?

I recall it being said that there would not be an AWD model S before Model X.
It would make some senses if they announced that AWD Model S and Model X would start rolling off the production line at the same time.

But eventually they need to show it, yes? And it makes sense to roll it in with another announcement, rather than a separate event. They'll still (likely) have the equivalent of the Get Amped test drives that they held around the country and in the EU for the Model S. But since some vehicles will be delivered prior to that, they need to show the updated model soon. Do you have a better time for them to show it?

No I guess now would be a perfect time to give test rides. They did the first Model S test rides in LA in the dark hours I think I remember?

I guess I'm just wishing for the "something else" to be something else :)

I recall it being said that there would not be an AWD model S before Model X.
It would make some senses if they announced that AWD Model S and Model X would start rolling off the production line at the same time.

The idea that the 'AWD S' and 'X' would start rolling off the production line at the same time would be my guess, but I would take it one step further and suggest that an announcement could be made at this event regarding deliveries of the final X beginning earlier than previously stated. Though the general public may not take note of subtle changes on the X, they would certainly understand a headline "Tesla Model X Ahead of Schedule"... The 'something else' announcement could be the "1st Qtr X Deliveries" announcement which would include the design studio becoming available for the AWD S and the X.

Since most of the news programs and general public know a great deal about the new drive assist features (apparently being installed on all new S's) due to leaks and other sources, I agree that it would be very wasteful for that to be the 'something else'.

Major event for the S.
Major event for the X.
Major event for AWD S and drive assist only? I don't believe so.

Of course this is just like all the other speculation, I just thought I'd join in on the fun :)

It's going to be a Model X production intent vehicle in my mind since they reconfigured the factory to build them in August, and they probably have now built a good size sample number of them to send out all over the world for some real world testing. They are going to be spotted in the wild quite frequently over the next several months as they "abuse" them to validate the design. No camouflaged vehicles from Tesla, they just show you what it looks like in an "event" before they send out the production intent vehicles out on the road for testing.

What does everyone think of a Hat Trick ? Model S P85D, Production ready Model X and Prototype Model 3. From what I have heard Model X is not really close to the Prototype but has been MUCH improved upon. We also know that they have been spending rather large R & D dollars lately. Maybe for the Model 3 ?!?!?!

I'd surmise the R&D expenditures are indeed for Model 3 development. Model X design and engineering has been frozen for a little while now and they're surely doing small alpha production runs now and gearing up tooling for final production start early in the new year.

If they do indeed show a prototype model 3, which is not likely in my mind, I don't know what I'll do with myself since that's the car I can afford. If they start taking deposits I'll have to pull the trigger earlier than I expected ;)

I'd surmise the R&D expenditures are indeed for Model 3 development. Model X design and engineering has been frozen for a little while now and they're surely doing small alpha production runs now and gearing up tooling for final production start early in the new year.

If they do indeed show a prototype model 3, which is not likely in my mind, I don't know what I'll do with myself since that's the car I can afford. If they start taking deposits I'll have to pull the trigger earlier than I expected ;)

I believe that is likely. They have already hinted at an early 2015 reveal and that is not really that far away so I think it is possible. What a media hype a Hat Trick would be !!! Massively moving forward on all 3 fronts !!

Based on Elon's follow up tweet I'm in the camp that Model X will be shown in final form. Testing should begin any time now so it makes total sense as mentioned above to have it "out there" so they can get as much press as possible. Maybe if we're lucky Tesla might go into production a bit earlier than stated. Under promise and over deliver, even though it's late.

I believe that is likely. They have already hinted at an early 2015 reveal and that is not really that far away so I think it is possible. What a media hype a Hat Trick would be !!! Massively moving forward on all 3 fronts !!

Elon mentioned last year while in Europe that Model 3 would be in the clay stage around mid 2014. Then prototype shortly after. But the tweet said "letter" not a number. To me that says X

No I guess now would be a perfect time to give test rides. They did the first Model S test rides in LA in the dark hours I think I remember?

I guess I'm just wishing for the "something else" to be something else :)

We've had test RIDES in the X. (That was in the evening in LA, perhaps that is what you remember?)

The next step is test DRIVES, which will be after the safety testing is completed. With the S, they accomplished that at the multiple Get Amped events, so that reservation holders could experience the car in person.

I would be gobsmacked (hey, Nigel!) if test drives happened anytime in the next few months - but they do need to show a production-intent Model X soon. And I cannot fathom an entire event wrapped around just that.

How about November 18?

Home | Los Angeles Auto Show

Yes, you eventually have to show it, but I think the changes are going to be small enough that you don't even make it the +1 of a major announcement; you just roll it out matter-of-factly at an auto show, which gives you at least a few lines of press coverage there, too. And having it at the LA show would give it a lot more public exposure than a private event at Hawthorne.

You could even do a special preview in advance of the show for the reservation holders, if you wanted.