Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obama is in town Thursday night for more fundraising, expect street closures in Brentwood & wherever he will be spending the night (usually in Beverly Hills), if your traveling thru the Westside or on the 405 plan accordingly.

Obama and Biden to Both Visit LA This Week | SCMA

The Tesla Model S "Democrat" … ??

Sorry.

14judj6.jpg

Obama is in town Thursday night for more fundraising, expect street closures in Brentwood & wherever he will be spending the night (usually in Beverly Hills), if your traveling thru the Westside or on the 405 plan accordingly.

Obama and Biden to Both Visit LA This Week | SCMA

Interesting. So far there are no Presidential TFR NOTAMs issued for LA for Oct 9.

Use this FAA site, Federal Aviation Administration - TFR List, and select either LA Center or VIP Type to take a look.

My prediction is that the "D" is the "Dual Motors" Model S. I think everyone here agrees, and it makes a lot of sense.

But the big purpose for this event isn't the "D", it's the "Something else", and the "Something else" is the Gen 3 Car. I'd bet on it!

There's NO WAY, that they will unveil the final version of the Model X. We've already seen the Model X. It would be completely anti-climactic. They did their big event around that car 2 years ago. It's been in various design showrooms, shows, stores for years off and on. They wouldn't hold a big event like this to show the same car - but slightly different again.

I will be attending the event on Thursday. Really looking forward to it!

My prediction is that the "D" is the "Dual Motors" Model S. I think everyone here agrees, and it makes a lot of sense.

But the big purpose for this event isn't the "D", it's the "Something else", and the "Something else" is the Gen 3 Car. I'd bet on it!

There's NO WAY, that they will unveil the final version of the Model X. ...

No one outside Tesla knows for sure about what the something else is. As a tactical move, they should not show the model 3, because they haven't delivered on the X. They will be hurting themselves, too many phantom promises, too long with no X. It will be the Osborne effect if they show the 3, and not the X. They should show the Beta X. Even reshowing the alpha and saying beta soon would be better than showing the 3.

There's no reason to show the 3. They are production constrained on the S, there is no X out yet, it will be years before the 3 comes out. They could perhaps show the S, the X and the 3. But they have to show the X before the 3.

Seattle is correct. This February, it will be 3 years since the original unveiling of Model X. The final design will be different from what's on the website and unfortunately Tesla is running out of time and everybody's patience. Model 3 is so far out, it's not even funny. If they can't bring a car based on a current production platform (Model S) to market in 3 years, they will take 10 years with that Model 3 at this pace. It will hurt them badly.

They don't have to offer test drives on the new X but they must show the final design. They are out of time. If they announce a larger battery, they may have another 3 months extension on the final reveal of the X.

P.S. The event is officially overbooked and they stopped taking RSVPs.

Last edited:
What does everyone think of a Hat Trick ? Model S P85D, Production ready Model X and Prototype Model 3. From what I have heard Model X is not really close to the Prototype but has been MUCH improved upon. We also know that they have been spending rather large R & D dollars lately. Maybe for the Model 3 ?!?!?!

My understanding is that there have been as number of changes since last seen. As a reservation holder, it will be a 'big thing' to see the updated version. I'd kind of like to know what I'm buying.

+1. My wife and I attended the February 2012 X 'Reveal' and also would consider it a 'big thing' to see the updated version. After Tesla hired Chris Porritt from Aston Martin and indicated that he would be overseeing the Model X development, I expect that there will be some significant changes to the exterior of the X from the version we saw in 2012. We did receive invites to attend as Signature Model X reservation holders, but are not able to make the event this Thursday. The more I read and think about it, I am believing that they will show a new version of the Model X at this event. Hawthorne is where they revealed the X in 2012 and it's a great venue for a big party. Seems a bit anti-climatic for Tesla to throw a party like this and simply drive a Dual motor Model S on stage. We will know in a few more days and all the speculation will be moot!

My understanding is that there have been as number of changes since last seen. As a reservation holder, it will be a 'big thing' to see the updated version. I'd kind of like to know what I'm buying.

I absolutely agree that the changes are a big deal to reservation holders (and serious intenders). But to the public at large? Unless there's a much bigger change than I've seen suggested, most people won't have any idea what's changed. The production roll-out of the Model X strikes me as less interesting to the general public than even the intro of the Model S AWD, since the Model S AWD hasn't yet been officially seen/discussed whereas the Model X has, in any number of separate events and fora.