Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC back vents blowing warm air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had what sounds like a different but related problem today. The outside temp was 45 degrees, front seats were set to 68 and the back seat was blowing really hot air - so hot in the back that I shut off the climate system altogether. Everyone was then reasonably comfortable. The general theme seems to be that the back is too hot under multiple circumstances. Anyone else have people complaining about the back being too hot when the heat is on?

I had what sounds like a different but related problem today. The outside temp was 45 degrees, front seats were set to 68 and the back seat was blowing really hot air - so hot in the back that I shut off the climate system altogether. Everyone was then reasonably comfortable. The general theme seems to be that the back is too hot under multiple circumstances. Anyone else have people complaining about the back being too hot when the heat is on?
Yes, yesterday was our first cold-weather road trip, 30s outside, heat set to 66 or 67. Panel was blowing cool, foot and rear were blowing really hot. But this was after 10 hours driving (starting with temps in the 60s), so I attributed it to battery heat

Hi all,

Not so much a fix as it is a decent work around to share. We were in the middle of a 3 hr road trip when we noticed. Very hot air at back with AC at 72.

Obviously you can set it to low on front and pull the temp down, but doesn’t work great still. What was more effective was setting it to blow air only from below at front and at least 69 degrees (more effective at 67 or lower). It doesn’t get it exactly as cold as the front but it does get it within several degrees from our experience.

If you have people in the back but no one in passenger, I’d suggest splitting the temperature and setting the passenger section to low with the driver at your desired temp (this way works with either the straight ahead vents OR the floor vents); this seems to get the rear vent pretty much exactly in line with the desired temp.

Hope these two work arounds help.

I think it truly is normal. When set it to auto, you choose the temp you want the cabin to be. The system then blows whatever temperature air it wants and at whatever fan speed it chooses to get the cabin to that temperature as quickly and comfortably as possible. It might mean fairly hot air at a high speed even if you set it to 65. As the cabin approaches 65, it will dial back the air temperature and fan speed.

On the flip side, if you hard set the temp and fan speed without auto, it will blow air at that temperature and speed regardless what the inside cabin temperature is.

I had this issue since I got the car in September 2018. I took it to the service center in December, they didn't find anything wrong with it but suggested I come back after winter as it will be easier to test when it's warm outside. It started getting warm in Boston and I noticed we still have this issue, will probably take it the service center sometime soon.

Reactions: cybergates
FYI - I’ve only had the car a little over 2 weeks, but live in Phoenix area where a/c issues are noticed quickly !
Multiple trips yesterday with back seat passengers and rear airflow was pretty cold. Even had request to turn fan speed down and passengers moved rear vents to have less direct flow on them. OAT was “low” for this time of year at around 100 F.

We just repeated our 600mi road trip from last December (when the unwanted rear heat was really annoying). Of course outside temperatures were much better, from mid-80s at the start to mid-60s at the end. We had no issues, and a few times when shifting things around in the back seat in a way that re-directed the vent air to the front, it was blowing cold.